Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes ... I know about sound laws and everyone will tell me to stay quiet ... I hear those people .... BUT ... I have a 25 Eliminator Eagtle with a 496 and Gibson bullets. Quiet as a church mouse. A pontoon boat sounds badder than my boat !!! I bought some CMI's headers ...still quiet ... then I spent $800 on Gatlin tips at Absolute in Havasu expecting a least some sound ... nothing ... same as the Gibsons ... still quiet. I spoke with a guy at Eliminator ... he said try cutting away at the gatlins ... that sounds good to me ... I have already wasted the $800 ... but is there another way ... are some of the tips that make all the cool sound just open exhaust without any muffler? Please help me ...my kids think my boat is wimpy. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
yes ... I know about sound laws and everyone will tell me to stay quiet ... I hear those people .... BUT ... I have a 25 Eliminator Eagtle with a 496 and Gibson bullets. Quiet as a church mouse. A pontoon boat sounds badder than my boat !!! I bought some CMI's headers ...still quiet ... then I spent $800 on Gatlin tips at Absolute in Havasu expecting a least some sound ... nothing ... same as the Gibsons ... still quiet. I spoke with a guy at Eliminator ... he said try cutting away at the gatlins ... that sounds good to me ... I have already wasted the $800 ... but is there another way ... are some of the tips that make all the cool sound just open exhaust without any muffler? Please help me ...my kids think my boat is wimpy. Thanks, Mike
Straight pipe outs w/ rewarder inserts.............. sound great also supposed to pull the exhaust out by the swirl pattern inside and are supposed to be legal..................

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts
Spend some of that money on adding HP and it'll get louder.:)

·
Choking my .......
355 Posts
I used to have supertapp's on my OT jet boat . Never got hassled but they were loud . I took them out and since the sound was diverted away from the boat , it was alot quieter . Could be whats goin on with you . It may not be very loud in the front seat , but I'm sure your pissing off a few folks on shore . Especially in a boat the size of yours . The noise might just be diverted straight back . Not tomention all the water in exhaust .

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
You know those annoying as phuk lowered Honda's (cars) with the 6" exhaust tip on their 4 cylinder engine... yea those, use one of those tips on each exhaust outlet. ;)

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
I used to have supertapp's on my OT jet boat . Never got hassled but they were loud . I took them out and since the sound was diverted away from the boat , it was alot quieter . Could be whats goin on with you . It may not be very loud in the front seat , but I'm sure your pissing off a few folks on shore . Especially in a boat the size of yours . The noise might just be diverted straight back . Not tomention all the water in exhaust .
Seriously though, I'm going with this answer. I was told my boat was at least twice as loud as any boat out at the river when I was there and I had no idea it was that loud, there was even a boat there with zoomies on it.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Seriously though, I'm going with this answer. I was told my boat was at least twice as loud as any boat out at the river when I was there and I had no idea it was that loud, there was even a boat there with zoomies on it.
I will second that. Last time I was out I was putting the boots to it and there was a message on my phone when I got home from a guy 3 miles away givin me shit for not stoppin in. I know its loud but had no idea that loud.

·
Choking my .......
355 Posts
I will second that. Last time I was out I was putting the boots to it and there was a message on my phone when I got home from a guy 3 miles away givin me shit for not stoppin in. I know its loud but had no idea that loud.
In my situation , I figured it out at the lake when I fired the boat up at the ramp . I'm pulling away and me and my wife are having a conversation. That was the first thing she noticed and loved as did I . In my case anyways . Of course from there on out I was tryin to make it louder .

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
yes ... I know about sound laws and everyone will tell me to stay quiet ... I hear those people .... BUT ... I have already wasted the $800 ... but is there another way ... are some of the tips that make all the cool sound just open exhaust without any muffler?
How much money do you want to spend on the citations and being run off the water by the water cops after towing the boat there, and how cool will your boat be on the trailer when you keep getting run off the water.
Great "cool factor" there.

Oh well. If you want noise, ditch the motor cover hatch, put on a blower and zoomies.

Then buy your kids earplugs.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
In my situation , I figured it out at the lake when I fired the boat up at the ramp . I'm pulling away and me and my wife are having a conversation. That was the first thing she noticed and loved as did I . In my case anyways . Of course from there on out I was tryin to make it louder .
So what are you saying? Lowd pipes save wifes.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I changed my tips to the new dana's with their style of baffle, no mufflers just the same set-up I've always ran..while at the ramp, people are always asking what I have in there cause it sounds real good...get rid of the Gatlin tips it will get the sound you are looking for..BUT it will be MUCH louder while you are cruisin down the lake....once you try that get ahold of me..i have a few more tricks for you to try..

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
How did your avatar "work" out?

Looks like shit is getting ready to go real bad.

Brian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the feedback. Nope ... 90% of all the boats at Havasu are twice as loud as mine ... you have to look back at the water to see if my engines is on ... seriously ... ok ... the tips obviously have mufflers inside of them. Since I have almost $2000 into mufflered tips ... can I take the muffler stuff out of the tips on the Gatlins ... or should I just get new "open" tips? When I put the CMI's on ... I had some stainless pipes made to hook up the CMI's to the same exit holes ... I doubt there is any muffler materail in them ...so the only place any muffler material is going to be in the tips ... right? I was thinking that was how it was going to be because on the Eagle ..a lot of the exhaust exits below the waterline ...BUT ... on Labor day ..I saw my exact boat with awesome sound. Hey ...I do have to laugh about the guys who said "hey ...it's already loud" ... no ...it sounds like a 283 going through 4 turbo mufflers ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts