Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the intake off today and noticed that the intake side on the heads on number 4 was a redish color. What does this mean? all the rest looked the same except that one ....also i was wondering what oil to use to break this thing in once i put the new cam and bearings in? Do you guys recomend using a high volume oil pump over stock.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So I pulled the intake off today and noticed that the intake side on the heads on number 4 was a redish color. What does this mean? all the rest looked the same except that one ....also i was wondering what oil to use to break this thing in once i put the new cam and bearings in? Do you guys recomend using a high volume oil pump over stock.
#1 Readish like rust ? #2 Shell Rotella (O'riellys) or Torco high additive breakin" and Only use a HV pump with a High Capacity pan (we even use a standard volume pump on Olds even with a big pan) Tom

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya its kinda rust color. and the thing takes like 12 quarts is that an oversized pan? the motor is outa a 71 mark 3.....im not sure what cam in those stock

·
Registered
14 Posts
ill try and take one tonight.... its right next to the water port could it have just been leaking a little into that port?

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
if you can do a comp test and a leak down if all are good put a new intake gasket on it

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
here is a realy shity picture i took w the web cam doesnt show the color but thats the opening thats light rust or red color
prob just had a leak at the coolant port and some moisture leached over, it happens. if you're goin to a high volume pump, buy a arp,moroso, or milodon oil pump drive shaft. the stocker will snap in 2 on ya;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
orederd a high volume today with an arp shaft actually...Im thinkin it was just moister like you said or atleast thats what im hoping it is. now with this oil pump am i going to get oil belching out the breather? Ive heard mixed things from people that have ran them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts