Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STAINLESS ROLLER ROCKER ARMS

What do you guys think of these rocker arms? Little gun shy about buying from eBay, but the stuff that I have bought from this seller has always been very good quality, and it arrives next day to me because he is only in Tennessee.

Thanks.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
these might cure your valve cover clearance problem and a good price for a tested product.
notice the corners.

oh and you get what you pay for on those stainless ones IMO

https://teaguecustommarine.c7.ixwebhosting.com//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_51&products_id=96&osCsid=vd9fsokn6jhaotcll5vo6jf770
This statement on there is the only part that worries me about those,

"May require modification of stock valve covers or rocker arm body for clearance."

They are a very good price though.

Thanks.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
these might cure your valve cover clearance problem and a good price for a tested product.
notice the corners.

oh and you get what you pay for on those stainless ones IMO
That's what worries me. But I don't really have a high horsepower or high RPM engine, so they not going to be tested under extreme conditions. Only worry is about the oil passages and stuff like that.

Thanks.

Why don't you start by buying the valve covers you need?
I'm looking into that too. Just trying to cover all my bases. And get the most bang for my buck, without spending too much money.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
hey fella i like the looks of them:D

the problem you are gonna get is alot of guys will bash the overseas stuff.imo they will work just fine for what you are doing.just my.02 worth;)

wouldnt it be cheaper to buy other valve covers:)bulb

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey fella i like the looks of them:D

the problem you are gonna get is alot of guys will bash the overseas stuff.imo they will work just fine for what you are doing.just my.02 worth;)

wouldnt it be cheaper to buy other valve covers:)bulb
Only if I buy cheap stamped steel ones. And I just can't bring myself to doing that. I have tall sheet metal aluminum ones right now, but I'm having clearance issues with my stock style rocker arms.

Thanks.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Yeah, that makes alot of sense. Don't get the valve covers that work and will correct your problem (stamped or not), just change the more expensive sh*t inside and HOPE it works. Valve trains are a slippery slope. With new rocker arms, its probably a good idea to change your lifters and pushrods too......so there's more money. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
HJ I bought a set of Alu.valve covers from a speed shop I will see if I can find my info. They look good and were CHEAP !!!!! WT:)devil

Coby

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ALUMINUM VALVE COVERS

Ok, what do you guys think about these valve covers. Only problem with these is that I won't be able to use my aluminum T-handles and studs.:( Those pieces alone were like $70.:mad:

I'm pretty sure that these will fit though, without any clearance issues because they are made wider.

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
t-handles

aluminum t-handles and studs may look cool but the first ski or mooring rope that gets near them "SNAP". That much leverage and the 1/4 inch studs just cant hang.

pat

FYI. Ive never seen a stock rocker interfere with any valve cover. sometimes the poly locks (if you are using them) hit but all roller rockers will be the same size or larger than the factory stuff.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, I'm gonna have to take some fuckin' pictures of this shit.

They're hitting on the sides of the cover, not the top.

aluminum t-handles and studs may look cool but the first ski or mooring rope that gets near them "SNAP". That much leverage and the 1/4 inch studs just cant hang.

pat

FYI. Ive never seen a stock rocker interfere with any valve cover. sometimes the poly locks (if you are using them) hit but all roller rockers will be the same size or larger than the factory stuff.
I didn't put them on there for looks. I put the on there because I got frustrated with tightening down all those bolts to get the valve covers on and off. Took too long, IMO. Also I am not running a ski tow on there right now. And I can't see much possibility of the rope going back that far, unless the skier is somehow up ahead of the boat. But, I might be wrong, I've never seen or heard of it happening.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
ALUMINUM VALVE COVERS

Ok, what do you guys think about these valve covers. Only problem with these is that I won't be able to use my aluminum T-handles and studs.:( Those pieces alone were like $70.:mad:

I'm pretty sure that these will fit though, without any clearance issues because they are made wider.

Thanks.
T handles? HJ, those went out in the 70's bro! :)devil

Get a nice ARP stud kit with 12 point nuts and it will look and seal MUCH better than those 'lovely' T handles. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why would there be a clearance issue with the stock rocker arms and a tall valve cover?
i was thinking the same thing.. hj, just use the stock style rockers and save yourself the headache of rechecking your whole valvetrain. i.e. clearences, bind, geometry. not to mention you'll never know what the quality of those rollers are until one breaks. im seeing at a very minimum new pushrods. my .02..

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Photographic Evidence!

Alright all you nonbelievers, here is photographic evidence that I have a clearance problem. The problem is that the cover was welded onto the rail about an 1/16" off center, so the top side hangs over the inner part of the rail, contacting the rocker arms on the push rod side.

Here is one of the deep grooves that was cut into the SIDE of the valve cover.

Here is a zoomed out shot, showing 3 of them on one of the covers.

And this is my valve train with the intake rocker arms removed.

Thank you.

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
I got a thought on how all this happened

NO MORE CHEAP SHIT!!!

Your trying to step over a dollar to save a dime. If you relax and be patient and buy quality parts I'd bet you would have a 1/3rd the posts you have now:D

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got a thought on how all this happened

NO MORE CHEAP SHIT!!!

Your trying to step over a dollar to save a dime. If you relax and be patient and buy quality parts I'd bet you would have a 1/3rd the posts you have now:D
I bought these about a year and a half ago. Back when I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.:)sphss I still don't, but I know more than what I did back then.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts