Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've talked to Dave and emailed Don(Hulshot). Dave gave me some advice and haven't got ahold Don, but here's my ?. How can I look at a lower end and tell if its shot or some what in good shape??? Its an 89 Sleekcraft Enforcer, 454 and bravo1 drive. Boat and motor has 120hrs original.

Doug

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Doug,

Are you shopping for a boat? Tire kicking?
At the Seller's place, remove the drain plug. Allow a little oil to drain onto a paper towel.
Now smell the oil, roll the oil between thumb and middle finger. Look at the magnet on the plug. Any metal?

Results of tests...
Oil smells burnt, acrid. Over heated, contaminated with water, too much time between oil changes.
Oil is grtty. Metal transfer from gears, bearings and races.
Metal on magnet. See above.

·
Northern CA DCB Sales
1,230 Posts
Doug,

Are you shopping for a boat? Tire kicking?
At the Seller's place, remove the drain plug. Allow a little oil to drain onto a paper towel.
Now smell the oil, roll the oil between thumb and middle finger. Look at the magnet on the plug. Any metal?

Results of tests...
Oil smells burnt, acrid. Over heated, contaminated with water, too much time between oil changes.
Oil is grtty. Metal transfer from gears, bearings and races.
Metal on magnet. See above.
Sounds right to me. Also check for water in the lube.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot guys. Actually picking it up tommorrow. Just wanna check a few things, maybe I can work down the price if there some issues.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
These guys are right on the info. if your serious take a new oil filter with you and change it out with the old one. cut the old one open and see whats in it. hopefully it will have clean oil and no metallic flakes or signs of moisture. if it has a foot then check the drive fluid for water and make sure its full of oil to the proper level. good luck

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
I've talked to Dave and emailed Don(Hulshot). Dave gave me some advice and haven't got ahold Don, but here's my ?. How can I look at a lower end and tell if its shot or some what in good shape??? Its an 89 Sleekcraft Enforcer, 454 and bravo1 drive. Boat and motor has 120hrs original.

Doug
post a picture of that sucker:)devil i looked at a sleekcraft before i picked up the carrera, diffinatly have someone go over the drive and give it a once over!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1989 Sleekcraft Enforcer 23.6ft 7.4/ Bravo One 115.9 original hrs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blow a tire on the way and home and here I was waiting for AAA. Changed the tire but the spare had no air in it. So there goes an hour....................:)coffee

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
1989 Sleekcraft Enforcer 23.6ft 7.4/ Bravo One 115.9 original hrs.
hell that will do the job, she looks pretty nice now i got someone to cruise with:)devil sux about the blow out a good time to upgrade the tires and rims:D

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
These guys are right on the info. if your serious take a new oil filter with you and change it out with the old one. cut the old one open and see whats in it. hopefully it will have clean oil and no metallic flakes or signs of moisture. if it has a foot then check the drive fluid for water and make sure its full of oil to the proper level. good luck
I have cut open more than my share of oil filters over the years and not seen much of anything of interest...best thing to do is send an oil sample out and have it analyzed...been a while..used to cost about $30..if it has metal in it they can tell exactly where it came from

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hell that will do the job, she looks pretty nice now i got someone to cruise with:)devil sux about the blow out a good time to upgrade the tires and rims:D
Yeah really. I had to get two new ones while down there for the drive back. So three more and im good.

·
GO CELTICS
2,083 Posts
Congrats I cant wait to get fadded on it lol...:D I really am happy for you guys I know you have been chasing the dream of owning a boat for awhile so Im glad to see you guys get what you want.:)devil

1 - 20 of 30 Posts