Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I got a Holley carb that i am trying to get instructions on however i am not sure where i can find the model number on this bad boy. I know holly's web site has all the instructions but i cant find a corresponding model number on the carb.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4781- Not sure if after the dash is a B or an 8. underneath that is 2832 and on the top of the carb there was a GR5533B.

Is that what you were looking for?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent you a PM, if that's on your SBC that's a lot of carb.

I replied..

Yeah i think its from a BB Olds and thats what my dad had so he just put it on there. I have been having some issues with the engine running right and maybe that is why..

I find the boat real easy to start when she is cold but once she is warmed up she likes to stall and does not like to start back up until she has had some time to cool down..

If tuned properly will this carb work in a SBC? Or am i just beating a dead horse.. I dont want to get rid of it so i might just buy something else and keep this until i find a BB.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Dang. What do your plugs and transom look like. My machinest was tryin to tell me that carb choice isn't as critical to engine size as most people think, because a carb is supose to mix "x" amount of fuel, with how ever much or little air is going through it. Obviously to a point, I dunno, thats part of the reason I wanted to know what his plugs looked like.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang. What do your plugs and transom look like. My machinest was tryin to tell me that carb choice isn't as critical to engine size as most people think, because a carb is supose to mix "x" amount of fuel, with how ever much or little air is going through it. Obviously to a point, I dunno, thats part of the reason I wanted to know what his plugs looked like.

I'm waiting for the exhaust to cool so i can pull the plugs. transom looks clean, why do you ask?

However i did just redo the floats and they where set all the way up so i turned them down per OEM spec.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i pulled all the plugs. they all looked fine except one. all of the cylinders except 6 where slightly grey. No flakeness or gunk. However cylinder 6 plug snapped when i pulled it out and looked all black and nasty. Pic below.

Could that plug have been bad and just fouled. Could only one cylinder foul and not the others?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Well i pulled all the plugs. they all looked fine except one. all of the cylinders except 6 where slightly grey. No flakeness or gunk. However cylinder 6 plug snapped when i pulled it out and looked all black and nasty. Pic below.

Could that plug have been bad and just fouled. Could only one cylinder foul and not the others?
Delemorte, Sure would like to see the rest. Espessially number three hole, but all would be good. And agreed on the "alot of carb for a small block ". Unless it's a big small block. M

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ask and you shall receive. here is number 3 cylinder. And all the other cylinders look just like this.

BTW these plugs have about 10 hours on them. Probably less but 10 is a nice round number.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Be careful with the float adjustment last time I did that I hydro-locked her up with fuel. be careful,BTW do you know where the sight windows are on your carb?? having said that my nephew has a carb that those windows are sealed.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
IMO and thats it. the motor is fat and you probably are running a MSD or more which will fire a tank full of butter. For ten hours it looks more like thirty or forty. I dont know the set up you have but looks like alot of fire on a small motor and a big carb. Not trying to be a smart ass or piss in anybodys cheerios. Just what it looks like to me. Send back more info and keep me informed. M

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMO and thats it. the motor is fat and you probably are running a MSD or more which will fire a tank full of butter. For ten hours it looks more like thirty or forty. I dont know the set up you have but looks like alot of fire on a small motor and a big carb. Not trying to be a smart ass or piss in anybodys cheerios. Just what it looks like to me. Send back more info and keep me informed. M
Im not sure i understand your medaphors but it sounds correct.

All the components where on a Olds thatthe previous owner had. He thought it sounded cool out of the water so he showed my dad how loud it was by jamming the gas (out of the water) and KABOOM....

He sold the rest of it to my pops whohad this 350 built and they used all the stuff off the olds on this 350. Per dad she "fires real hot" What ever that means... I did on purpose get hotter plugs as that is what was advised to me. The ignition is a mallory ignition. BTW.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So now that it is later and my coffee has kicked in maybe I can make a coherent sentence...

I appreciate all the citisism and i take it as being very constructive. I do understand that the Carb is too much for a SBC so what are some suggestions.. Is replacing the carb with something a bit more sensable called for or can i adjust this or redo the jets?

I know i went over this in HB but not here. This boat was a gift from my father who was given the boat from his best freind shortly before his friend killed him self. The components for the motor all came off and olds that his freind "Blew Up" the engine and my pops had this 350 built for the boat.. So please dont think i just went out and bought some shit with out knowing what i was buying, rather i was given some stuff that i dont fully understand. :)

So now knowing that, dont be afraid to give me some suggestions as all suggestions are MORE than welcome. Especially if you feel it will make my boat run better and maybe save me a few bucks in gas and a few hours of maintenece.

thanks guys.:D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So thinking about what has been said on here earlier I have been looking around. on jegs i found a 600 and a 750 holley.. do i do 600 or 750? price is nominal however my fuel rails fit the 750.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/974085/10002/-1/10271

Also do you think this will resolve my flooding issue when she warms up? Or at least help?

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
So thinking about what has been said on here earlier I have been looking around. on jegs i found a 600 and a 750 holley.. do i do 600 or 750? price is nominal however my fuel rails fit the 750.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/974085/10002/-1/10271

Also do you think this will resolve my flooding issue when she warms up? Or at least help?
I think you have another issue with fuel it just shows itself more when its hot. And 750. But dont know much about your combo.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts