Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
One part at a time...
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know the size of the threads for the bearing cap bolts, and the grease fitting on my suction housing. I want to chase the threads. Grease fitting 1/4 NPT? Bolts? Thanks in advance for the help. John.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
I need to know the size of the threads for the bearing cap bolts, and the grease fitting on my suction housing. I want to chase the threads. Grease fitting 1/4 NPT? Bolts? Thanks in advance for the help. John.
bearing cap are 5/16-18

grease fitting is small tapered pipe thread. Much smaller than 1/4. Im thinking 1/16 pipe.

·
One part at a time...
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice, thanks. I'm sure I can figure the pipe thread out. Here's another question; I've seen some people with some kind of reservoir attached to where the grease fitting usually is. What is this for? Oil? Is it better than just using a grease fitting?

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
nice, thanks. I'm sure I can figure the pipe thread out. Here's another question; I've seen some people with some kind of reservoir attached to where the grease fitting usually is. What is this for? Oil? Is it better than just using a grease fitting?
What that reservoir is in fact gear oil which rather than grease on the bowl tail shaft support bushing guys seal it up and do oil. If the water is super clean some don't even grease them others grease them and the grease is designed to blow out, a bowl stuffer slows the blow out, but then if you seal it up well it just some like it wet all the time :D. Also you can put ball bearings in that bowl if you got money and with bearings you need the constant submersion of oil thus the hanging resviour.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
What that reservoir is in fact gear oil which rather than grease on the bowl tail shaft support bushing guys seal it up and do oil. If the water is super clean some don't even grease them others grease them and the grease is designed to blow out, a bowl stuffer slows the blow out, but then if you seal it up well it just some like it wet all the time :D. Also you can put ball bearings in that bowl if you got money and with bearings you need the constant submersion of oil thus the hanging resviour.
I think he was talking about on the main thrust bearing. Right behind the engine. Because that is where I've seen reservoirs. Can you use oil there too, instead of grease? All the Berkeley bowls are made to run oil. There is a seal on the front side and a cap on the back side, and two pipe plugs on the outside of the bowl to put the oil in.

You can run ball bearings in the bowl?:)eh:) That would be sweet!!! I think I will do that if I get a new split bowl down the road.:D If it would work.

·
One part at a time...
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HJ is right. I meant on the thrust bearing. I have heard about the bowl differences, but was just wondering about running oil or grease fo the thrust bearing. Sorry if I didn't word it right and thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Oil reservoir for the jet a way. It is there to allow expansion of the oil for the thrust bearing. When the oil heats up it expands and fills the reservoir with oil. That way it does not leak out through the seals. If you are not using a jet a way, u will want to use a grease fitting. I would recommend calling MPD and he can tell you what type of grease to use.

·
One part at a time...
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The grease fitting threads turned out to be 1/4-28. Just in case anyone wanted to know. I got them all cleaned out now, thanks everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts