Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diverter was working fine all day when i was out this last weekend. At the end of the day, i noticed the diverter was stuck in the up position. I can hear the hydraulic motor turning on, but nothing is moving. Im going to try and unscrew the solinoids when i get home today since i read sometimes that helps. What else should i try? Where do you add fluid to? Sorry for the ignorant questions, this is my first jet boat.

And who has the cheapest price on the pump, if that is the problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
479 Posts
my setup is brand new and i get the same problem. i have to tap the up and down real quick together to get it to go down.. i think mine may have just a hint of moisture in the fluid..

·
Registered
829 Posts
Diverter was working fine all day when i was out this last weekend. At the end of the day, i noticed the diverter was stuck in the up position. I can hear the hydraulic motor turning on, but nothing is moving. Im going to try and unscrew the solinoids when i get home today since i read sometimes that helps. What else should i try? Where do you add fluid to? Sorry for the ignorant questions, this is my first jet boat.

Check the ground, switch and soloniods, since they can sometimes get struck. You can also check to make sure there is 12 volts going into the system. You add fluid from a hose that is on top of the case by the lines. Just like any hydraulic system, it will probably be the soloniod not allowing it to release the fluid back into the tank.

·
Registered
829 Posts
my setup is brand new and i get the same problem. i have to tap the up and down real quick together to get it to go down.. i think mine may have just a hint of moisture in the fluid..
bleed the lines to get the air out and your problem should go away. moisture (air) shouldnt be in the lines.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

On the reservior at a corner theres a tiny black plug that serves as a dip stick , theres also a fill line on the ivory colored reservoir body , this should be full to proper level with clean ATF , take thumb and forefinger and loosen all solenoids and retighten to a very light seat, Probably the most important thing is to check for a strong power and ground signal (use a digital multimeter) , having the shortest possible wires helps. call if we can help further Tom

PS if your available voltage is low , consider adding a relay to redirect battery voltage over to the pump unit

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Limit switch??

Tom, do those set ups have "limit" switches for "all up", or "all down", and if they do, do those switches go bad?..... My only experience is with an I/O that had a limit switch issue on the "up" that had to be bypassed to get any movement at all....
Ray

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Tom, do those set ups have "limit" switches for "all up", or "all down", and if they do, do those switches go bad?..... My only experience is with an I/O that had a limit switch issue on the "up" that had to be bypassed to get any movement at all....
Ray
no.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Ray
Ray , "you stumped the band" the Bennet motors for place diverter will keep running and groaning till you let up (once the up or down stop is reached) Have always wondered this myself as well I suspect they would eventually burn up if held up or down Tom

·
1 boat's never enough
107 Posts
On the reservior at a corner theres a tiny black plug that serves as a dip stick , theres also a fill line on the ivory colored reservoir body , this should be full to proper level with clean ATF , take thumb and forefinger and loosen all solenoids and retighten to a very light seat, Probably the most important thing is to check for a strong power and ground signal (use a digital multimeter) , having the shortest possible wires helps. call if we can help further Tom

PS if your available voltage is low , consider adding a relay to redirect battery voltage over to the pump unit
X-2 on the relay!! I had a similar problem and added the relay and it worked better than ever. Bye the way, you can't bleed the system since it is a continuous flow. Chances are, you're getting a low voltage at the solenoid. They seem to need a minimum 12V.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think its a voltage issue.. i could be wrong.. Ive only had the boat a couple weeks, had it out 3 times.. worked flawlessly. And i can still hear the pump humming when i push the button, just nothing moves.. but ill check it all.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I dont think its a voltage issue.. i could be wrong.. Ive only had the boat a couple weeks, had it out 3 times.. worked flawlessly. And i can still hear the pump humming when i push the button, just nothing moves.. but ill check it all.
Think of the solenoids like heart valves they have to open and close simutaneuosly (sp) to keep the fluid headed in the right directions , if they are not operating correctly the motor will turn but the fluid wont move , try to have someomne operate the sytem while you "feel" to see if the solenoids seem to be working ? Tom

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
No one mentioned checking the diodes that are used in conjunction with your trim switch. If one of those fail it will cause the exact problem that you described. It's very common and often overlooked. The diode system is really a crappy way of wiring those switches. If I were you I'd wire the power through a relay directly to the battery.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Bye the way, you can't bleed the system since it is a continuous flow. Chances are, you're getting a low voltage at the solenoid. They seem to need a minimum 12V.
you sure? every hydraulic system I have worked on, i have had to bleed the lines. (cars & machinery equiptment, ect..) just want to make sure for when i ever replace the cylinder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i pulled both solenoids, the spring and plungers were both in good shape. So i put them back in and lightly tightened them. That didnt do anything. So i pulled the bottom line off the cylinder on the jet nozzle. pushed the trim buttons. they spit and sputtered. and i had a small amount of movement. did it again with the top. Did some more spitting. And then hooked the top line back up and ITS WORKING! Ran it up and down a few times with no issues. Seems to be all good now. Thanks for your help gentlemen.

·
1 boat's never enough
107 Posts
you sure? every hydraulic system I have worked on, i have had to bleed the lines. (cars & machinery equiptment, ect..) just want to make sure for when i ever replace the cylinder.

I'm sure. I called Place when I was having the same problem and asked about bleeding the lines. They suggested the relay since the voltage drop to the solenoids was causing the problem. Best fix I ever did. Worked perfectly from that point on. I did the same thing with my electric hatch. It started slowing down, added the relay and fixed that problem too.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I ordered a banderlog relay. Mounted it close to the pump and wired directly to the battery. It is a nice sealed unit and has a built in fuse, and the best thing is you do not have to use diodes when using the relay....H

1 - 17 of 17 Posts