Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first flat bottom v-drive with neovane pump which went bad. The original eight flaps are now just two and half. I know the pieces are still in engine, I have only recoverd at most two that were in upper outlet of starboard manifold. Is it common to remove freeze plugs or do I just wait for the engine to blow not realizing the boat overheated by the only piece I didn't remove. sorry my writing skills aren't that good, any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just bought my first flat bottom v-drive with neovane pump which went bad. The original eight flaps are now just two and half. I know the pieces are still in engine, I have only recoverd at most two that were in upper outlet of starboard manifold. Is it common to remove freeze plugs or do I just wait for the engine to blow not realizing the boat overheated by the only piece I didn't remove. sorry my writing skills aren't that good, any suggestions would be great.
I would try removing the water lines and back flush as much as you can we have never taken the freeze plugs out of the block to chase impeller blades back flush the best you can change the impeller and run it some could have found there way out the exhaust already

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Hoses, 90 degree fitting and oil coolers are the most common collection points.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Like Rex indicated they are often found in coolers, so backflush with a hose after removing the outlet connection hoses to each cooler. Sometimes a piece of cut off old school coat hanger carefully prod loose a piece. Using a flashlight look in the inlet side of every cooler and opening downstream from the pump. You may find most of it in the first cooler stuck.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
All good advice, and, put it back together on the work bench. You're not done until you have found ALL of the old pieces.

CC

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
New impeller...

The new impeller should have a couple of alignment dowel pins in the package..... Use them....
Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts