Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an American boat trailer that I am trying to get registered. I have the title and bill of sale, but there are no vin numbers stamped on it . I took it to the DMV for inspection and they would not register becouse they could not verrify vin numbe. Has any one in nevada ever experiance this and if so what did you have to do about it? They don't want to hear that maybe back in 73 they probobly didn't put any numbers on the trailers.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have a roadrunner boat triler that I am trying to get registered. I have the title and bill of sale, but there are no vin numbers stamped on it . I took it to the DMV for inspection and they would not register becouse they could not verrify vin numbe. Has any one in nevada ever experiance this and if so what did you have to do about it? They don't want to hear that maybe back in 73 they probobly didn't put any numbers on the trailers.
there should be a tag attached up under the tonque somewhere (may be painted over)...the title should show the VIN # also...that should be all you need...its there job to find it on the trailer :)...take it to another DMV...just sayin' my .02 cents :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
trailer

If the title matches the trailer ie: model ,length etc then i would stamp them in and put a light coat of paint to match the trailer on the numbers.Most likely the tag was torn, rubbed off.That is the only way here in nev to get it reg. Hope this helps. But the title must match the trailer as i said. Nothing illegal.

·
Registered
995 Posts
If the title matches the trailer ie: model ,length etc then i would stamp them in and put a light coat of paint to match the trailer on the numbers.Most likely the tag was torn, rubbed off.That is the only way here in nev to get it reg. Hope this helps. But the title must match the trailer as i said. Nothing illegal.
correct!!!!!!! I stamp it on a 1" alum plate and poprivit it on.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Trailer

Been there done that! Go to CHP or State troopers office get a verification inspection sticker. take that to dmv and no questions asked! Yu may have to make appt with inspector.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there should be a tag attached up under the tonque somewhere (may be painted over)...the title should show the VIN # also...that should be all you need...its there job to find it on the trailer :)...take it to another DMV...just sayin' my .02 cents :)
The title does show the vin#,manufacturer,year,excetra,but I can not find the number on the trailer. No tag any where. If numbers were on there I am sure at that age they were stamped on the steel frame itself.
On My other trailer under the Spectra, the numbers are stamped on the steel on the tounge i went to get it registered yesterday and the first letter on the trailer is an F and the first letter on the title is a P all the rest match exactly, and they would not register it. They said that we had to wait 10 days to get a teletype back from California to see if they would even registerit at all. Its obvious that the p on the title is a typo, even the inspector at the inspection station wrote that it was a typo, but the lady inside the DMV would not allow it.
Here in nevada You have to take the trailer to the DMV inspection station for vin verrification and all they do is look at the number on the trailer and the number on the title and if they are same good to go .If there is no number to compare all they say is how do you expect us to verify:mad:

·
Registered
995 Posts
The title does show the vin#,manufacturer,year,excetra,but I can not find the number on the trailer. No tag any where. If numbers were on there I am sure at that age they were stamped on the steel frame itself.
On My other trailer under the Spectra, the numbers are stamped on the steel on the tounge i went to get it registered yesterday and the first letter on the trailer is an F and the first letter on the title is a P all the rest match exactly, and they would not register it. They said that we had to wait 10 days to get a teletype back from California to see if they would even registerit at all. Its obvious that the p on the title is a typo, even the inspector at the inspection station wrote that it was a typo, but the lady inside the DMV would not allow it.
Here in nevada You have to take the trailer to the DMV inspection station for vin verrification and all they do is look at the number on the trailer and the number on the title and if they are same good to go .If there is no number to compare all they say is how do you expect us to verify:mad:
Just stamp it on a alum strip and pop rivit it on ,no screws, then go to insp station.

·
Registered
738 Posts
vin

x2, i'll loan you the stamps,i had an old guy at the dmv tel me to do that once.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Got errr dunnn!

Well I went to harbor freight and bought a set of steel stamps, scraped off some paint and stamped the number on the tounge.

The people at the wild life and fisheries said that I had to bring the boat down so they could see it for title transfer and first registration. I drug the boat all the way over there, opposite side of town from the dmv, first and they did not even look at it. Now if i had not brought it with me then they would have insisted on seeing it.
I took it over to the dmv next , the guy looked at the numbers ,then asked "what make is the trailer , there is no make stamped on it". I said the title says its an american. he said "yea i see that but how do I know. if it is not marked". I said look you guys require a vin inspection, the vin on the trailer and the title match, what the fuck else do You want from Me!. He said "wait here ill be right back". He came back about 10 minutes later and handed me a piece of paper that comfired the numbers match. Then You have to go inside and wait for two hrs to get it registered.
What a bunch of bureaucratic bull shit! A trip to two diifferent state agencies to get a fucking boat registered.:mad: It would be easier to get a stolen car registered.
Then on top of all that the first time it has rained all year started while we were waiting inside the dmv. The rain instantly turns the streets here int road sludge and on the way home towing behind the truck ,it just trashed the boat. Waht a fucking mess! It sust sprayed roat grime all aver the boat all thu the interior ,all over the engine.I spent the next four hrs cleanning all that mess up. Man I was pissed! Just another reason to want a trailerable cover.....H

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
that sucks...what a bunch of BS...i never even took my boat to F&G when i registered it, just the title...n/p :)...remind me, never, to get anything licensed etc in NV lol...well at least you gotter done...now on to better things :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
that sucks...what a bunch of BS...i never even took my boat to F&G when i registered it, just the title...n/p :)...remind me, never, to get anything licensed etc in NV lol...well at least you gotter done...now on to better things :)
I know you can do that in AZ. My exwife took the paperwork from Nevada and registered my boat in Az in her boyfriends name. Then showed up here, called the cops and i had to give up my boat. I hate AZ!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trailer Registration

Did you know there are more trailers registered in Maine than any other state, Warren Buffett has over 40k registered in Maine. (except California - and that requires it's own explanation) and that's been true for over 40 years?

It's very simple - the cost to register is very low versus most states and, most often, no sales taxes are due. For instance a 5 year plate costs $90.

You can start the process online from Maine Trailer Registrations:
Trailer Registrations for Individuals and Fleets Countrywide - MaineTrailerRegistrations.com

Ohttp://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/r give Sam a call at 207-883-5187

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
Hal, I went through the same shit and gave up.

I never got a title for the race boat's trailer in the sale (long story)....so I tried to file for a lost title. In CA this wouldnt be a problem, but only the current title holder can file for this in the state of NV where in CA i can file for it, they attempt to contact the current holder then if they get no reply in X amount of days, its mine. NV does have their head up their ass. I got double dipped when I moved from CA to here on my truck. My tags were expired when I moved here. NV made me pay the late fee's on my CA registration before i could register for that year (fair enough). Then CA took my reg for that year and late fee's out of my tax refund with no notice and there is no way to dispute it.

I dont have time to deal with the BS involving the race boat's trailer, so i just swap the plates between this trailer and the southwind trailer. theres no numbers stamped on the race boat trailer so in the event i do get pulled over, im sure no cop is going to really question my trailers registration validity. Whens the last time someone got pulled over and the cop validated VIN numbers on a TRAILER.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hal, I went through the same shit and gave up.

I never got a title for the race boat's trailer in the sale (long story)....so I tried to file for a lost title. In CA this wouldnt be a problem, but only the current title holder can file for this in the state of NV where in CA i can file for it, they attempt to contact the current holder then if they get no reply in X amount of days, its mine. NV does have their head up their ass. I got double dipped when I moved from CA to here on my truck. My tags were expired when I moved here. NV made me pay the late fee's on my CA registration before i could register for that year (fair enough). Then CA took my reg for that year and late fee's out of my tax refund with no notice and there is no way to dispute it.

I dont have time to deal with the BS involving the race boat's trailer, so i just swap the plates between this trailer and the southwind trailer. theres no numbers stamped on the race boat trailer so in the event i do get pulled over, im sure no cop is going to really question my trailers registration validity. Whens the last time someone got pulled over and the cop validated VIN numbers on a TRAILER.
Yea Brad I hear that. I did get the Kona trailer registerd with no problems. I just went to harbor freight and got a set of steel stamps and stamped the number on the tounge. drug it the DMV and no problems.
I am still waiting to hear on the Spectra trailer, that actuall had numbers and are correct numbers, but the title has the first leter missprinted. I wish I would have thought about it I would have stamped the F to a P and been done with it.....Hal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts