Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an imp just pulled out of a lady friends 21 cruiser, complained that boat made a lot of noise but did not go anywhere ,(kinda like RCL) had pump "supposedly" rebuilt last summer about three trips to lake. Has a 9.5 installed ( got me on that one? ) not sure what brand, aluminum A. Cant imagined what happened here, Ideas?? never seen one this bad, imp still looks new. Maybe let run too long on trailer?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
This type damage can manifest from several conditions and the galling between Impeller and wear ring is like a snowball rolling down hill, may have started with a simple grain of sand amoung other things noted , whats the wearing look like what material assume there is metal transfer? any pics

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Very front...

I have seen that when the bearing goes out...
Normally when the bearing fails the impeller is shoved forward and damages the very front. That impeller is damaged behind the front "lip" which would seem to be caused by running off center. He didn't show the wear ring or the suction housing, so it's hard to say what caused what, or what area failed first....
Ray

·
Registered
628 Posts
What are the chances the shaft is bent? I would think if it was out of round (even just a little) it may cause problems like this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Same thing happened to one of mine one summer. My buddy took it out but did not (know) there was a sand bar under the boat chugged through it.

·
BIG member
1,406 Posts
I think Grainger's sells parts for those things.:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Check the wear ring for nicks from a punch..... got one did the same.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Same thing happened to one of mine one summer. My buddy took it out but did not (know) there was a sand bar under the boat chugged through it.
Looks like your buddy got a hold of this one too.

If it were from running with a bent shaft, it would be a more one sided wear pattern. Rule that one out.

If it were a Failed bearing, the front would be gone like mentioned above, rule that one out too.

If it was from running off center, we could tell by looking at the wear ring. but kind of doubt that one.

That could also be from dragging it down the road without the pump opening covered and then fireing it up on the trailer, or the old sand bar trick. Like Tom said, once the damage is started the metal galls and rolls up in balls very quickly.

Wear Ring Picture?? Please!

·
Registered
393 Posts
if this was done by a sand bar.... I would think those impeller blades would be semi-polished...some where on them... They look pristine ..........

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
more pics of wear ring and end of shaft, one bowl bushing had pushed seal out and bushing out too, a lot of this looks like no maintenance, running it in sand/ gravel, galling of imp to wear ring. Has non shouldered wear ring, bearing still in original form, lacks grease, imp did not dig into suction housing, had about .50-.60 clearance between imp and suction housing face

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yep, rule out the running off center too.

if this was done by a sand bar.... I would think those impeller blades would be semi-polished...some where on them... They look pristine .......... .
Exactly, rule that one out too and tell the customer, (or friend), to please cover the intake of the pump while towing and DO NOT run it on the trailer any more.

Duane HTP

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yep, rule out the running off center too.

Exactly, rule that one out too and tell the customer, (or friend), to please cover the intake of the pump while towing and DO NOT run it on the trailer any more.

Duane HTP
X's to on the trailer and road sh*T , the bowl bushings alone could contribute to enough "sag" in the shaft to alow the impeller to drag and gall the w'ring

* once had a customer water blast thru his jet into a bucket covered with cheese cloth after a tow to nor cal one would be amazed by the results of the residue

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Agreed Tom.
I meant to add that in my message when it started but somehow had brain fade. Another possibility is that it could have been set up too close on clearance to start with, but probably not the case here, with the looks of that shaft and bushing.
Thanks,

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but how do you guys recommend covering the pump opening while traveling?
Have seen all sorts of ideas ranging from small tarps bungeed under intakes to guys duct taping over the intake , I have a boat in now that has a flat piece he clamps to his ride plate that extends forward to cover the intake opening Tom

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
Have seen all sorts of ideas ranging from small tarps bungeed under intakes to guys duct taping over the intake , I have a boat in now that has a flat piece he clamps to his ride plate that extends forward to cover the intake opening Tom
To expand on this, I have seen pics on here (or maybe back on HB?) where someone screwed/bolted what looked like a piece of sheetmetal or alumimum to the bottom side of the trailer bunks to act as a shield to cover or block the intake opening when the boat was on the trailer. Helped keep debris out of the pump while towing. Thinking it may have been a poster that went by Cas? Dunno for sure, its been awhile...

Also remember reading about someone stuffing a towel up in the intake to protect the pump while towing. My luck I would forget it was there until after it was too late. :p

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
After reviewing all the expert data on this particular problem...I put it to the board of directors..we have arrived at our conclusion...the dumb ass went and bought a Jet Boat...

carry on Puddle Pushers...I'll be back when more shots are taken...until then Marko and I will attend the V-Drives forever forum...

RCL...just keepin it real..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts