1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
all wood boat with the hull and deck completely finished and painted and
underwater gear strut, whipstrut, rudderlog, upper rudder support, fins,
water pickup,shaftlog, Steering rack/cable, and S.S cavitation plate and
assy complete with pillow blocks, and turnbuckles.
I will build the deck and paint the boat when it's sold.
I LOWERED THE PRICE TO $22,000.00 OR BEST OFFER

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just wanted to say that what you do is a lost art. Really beautiful craftsmanship on the boat you are building. ....... I remember when I was a kid back in the mid 60's, there was a man by the name of Harvey Allen who owned Allen Boat Company who built all-wood boats which were called Allen Boats. His shop was located in none other than "Compton", Ca. when it was a decent town just on the outskirt of Paramount, Ca.

My father bought one of his 16 ft "needle nose" flat bottom outboard hulls. It too, was a masterpiece. It had a deep rich mahogany deck with a mid deck between front and back. The gunwales (gunnels) traveled past (through) the transom about 5 inches and were rounded. I remember many people complimenting my father on how beautiful the boat was. We had a big black 90 hp Mercury bolted to the transom and it topped out at 54 mph. Not bad for an outboard powered boat back in 1965. My brother and sisters thought it was crazy fast.

I used to get on my bicycle and ride to Mr. Allen's shop from South Gate everyday during the summer months to watch him build boats. I loved the smell of his shop. That smell of wood and resin I'll never forget! He and his boats (my father too by purchasing one) got me into boats and I'm still into them 50 years later! I ended up owning that boat, but had to sell it in some financially tough times in my late 20's. I wished I never had sold it. If I could find it now, I'd buy it back in a heartbeat (even though it was an outboard, lol). Lots of fond memories with that boat. I still have old 8 mm film my Mom took of it running up at Clear Lake, Ca.

Anyway, your ad brought back very good thoughts of my youth and I want to thank you for that! I'm sure your boat will sell soon. If I could afford it, I would love to own one of your boats.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The boat looks Great. It is a lost art with just a few who still practice,what a shame. When I worked for Kenny Meyers at B&K boat repair we restored a wood deck on a Miller. It was a lesson in craftsmanship that I remember even today. The soft lines of the cockpit combined with the crown of the deck were inspiring. There are very few builders over the years who used such a wide selection of what had to be hand selected woods. My Grandfather Father and Uncles Built Arrowcraft boats out of Anaheim Calif. I can remember going with Grandpa to Long Beach Plywood and selecting wood for next weeks boat he would spend hours picking just the right pieces. Every Miller that I have ever seen or worked on had that kind of dedication put in to it. They are boats that could pass for Fine Art.

·
Cocoloco
521 Posts
Damn! Just plain Damn!

What you say when something is so perfect words just clutter the craftsmanship. Kudos Mr. Miller. I want to add that if you haven't bought wood lately, this is a smokin deal for this hull. I built my first wood boat at twelve years old. It was no Miller but a labor of love no less. Now at 65 I think I might be ready to be build my last wood boat, I will ask Mr. Miller about plans. Thanks for the inspiration sir.

·
Laps Timed By Sundial
580 Posts
this is all wood construction reminiscent of 1950's flatbottoms, but what year would you say the hull was designed ? I ask because it seems low profile for a 1950's boat. gonna be nice to see how this turns out when it sells.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.