Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this boat a week ago out in California thru internet ad and hauled it to its new home in Colorado. Pretty excited to have a boat again. Grew up with ski boats and going to Powell alot and haven't had a boat in probably about 25 years! Any way been going thru it and found about 1/2 a impeller in the oil cooler. So I pulled the impeller and it is in good shape but I"m going to replace it anyway. Putting on a new accessory belt,change the drive fluid and oil, grease everything. Have some sort of problem with the tab indicator on one side and the trim indicator everything moves but no indication on the indicator (cable maybe) have to dig into that further. But all in all I'm happy with the boat. First trip planned for late Feb to Havasu! I appreciate any advice and or comments, any of you guys recognize it? This is a bit more boat than I used to have years ago. Can't wait to get in some water!!!

Attachments

·
the silver bullet!
1,996 Posts
lavey

very nice find ,i'm sure you'll be happy with it!!!! what kinda power ? keep up with the maintenance and you should have many good boatin years ahead !!!

is that like merry xmas to me !!
like your style TUNNEL T

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very nice find ,i'm sure you'll be happy with it!!!! what kinda power ? keep up with the maintenance and you should have many good boatin years ahead !!!

is that like merry xmas to me !!
like your style TUNNEL T
Thanks, It has the 500EFI. Yea, I'm already having fun and haven't had it in the water yet! It was my wifes and my X-mas to each other. I like your style also and both your avitars.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
I had the same boat with 850HP. I found that I had to drag the left tab slightly like -1 and keep the right neutral or up slightly to maintain a nice level ride with the boat. This was due to all the torque going through a single drive on a large size boat. Not sure if it will apply to yours. I had the big Merc 380 tabs and mainly did it at speeds over 70 or so just to keep a nice level attitude while moving along.

Usually ran both tabs down at -1 or-2 in rough water to keep the bow down and let it absorb the impact of the rollers. Used to have problems launching at south ramp at heck I cant even think of the name now but they extended the ramp there now so you can put trailer in deep but there are shallow spots still on that side and I high sided my drive on top of an underwater rock there and broke the skeg off. $3000 mistake by me so just remember you have a deep draft when going into shallow areas.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Nice- I dont recognize this one.
Lavey 29's tab experience mirrors mine. (or me his... whatever)
Sounds like a broken or stuck cable on your indicator- happens especially after sitting a looong time.
Port holes are very divisive among boaters- one thing for sure, if you end up camping inside, being able to see the horizon greatly reduces motion sickness.

This boat will give you confidence in the ocean, and you will find that Havasu and Mojave will no longer feel remotely threatening.

Congratulations - now come boating with us!

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice- I dont recognize this one.
Lavey 29's tab experience mirrors mine. (or me his... whatever)
Sounds like a broken or stuck cable on your indicator- happens especially after sitting a looong time.
Port holes are very divisive among boaters- one thing for sure, if you end up camping inside, being able to see the horizon greatly reduces motion sickness.

This boat will give you confidence in the ocean, and you will find that Havasu and Mojave will no longer feel remotely threatening.

Congratulations - now come boating with us!

Uncle Dave
Thanks for the tips on the trim tabs guys. Kinda weird the tabs move but one of the indicators doesn't. Seems like it would take alot to break a cable? How can they be stuck? When the tab is all the way down the cable is all stretched out and when the tab is up the cable is all compressed. Guess I need to have a look under dash and see what it is doing on that end. Do they make a cable luber like what I use on motorcycles?

I hear you about the confidence. Thanks, Back in the early 80s my brother and I had a Ranger Mini 19 with a 305 chevy we used to take to Powell alot and there were definitely times you felt real small out there when the wind would whip things up. We where young, dumb and you know, we would go out any way and see how far we could make it come out of the water. One time seized up the drive and had to camp unprepared for 2 days before we got a tow in! Glad to have a radio now.

·
livin' the dream
62 Posts
Nice man! Did you get it from Hi-Line? I bought my Nordic through them as well. Great find, enjoy her, she is a beauty!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Got a package deal for you, small box anchor w/red bag, 60'of line, Stearns SS sand spike and 2 Stearns ski vests $165
NSF (Bobby 928-854-2357)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice man! Did you get it from Hi-Line? I bought my Nordic through them as well. Great find, enjoy her, she is a beauty!
Yea, I did get from Tony. Great guy, and great deal! Did a hell run out to Ca. to pick it up, 2100 mi 3 days. Have only heard it run on a hose so far. I like the look of those Nordics as well. Is it a closed bow?

·
livin' the dream
62 Posts
Yea, I did get from Tony. Great guy, and great deal! Did a hell run out to Ca. to pick it up, 2100 mi 3 days. Have only heard it run on a hose so far. I like the look of those Nordics as well. Is it a closed bow?

It is a closed bow :) I had to have mine shipped to me, but it all worked in the end.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
How can you tell it is a early 29'? When did they start and quit making the 29'? Paperwork says mine is a 2002.
Not sure when the 29 started (JR can chime in here) but its still made today.

As to the age, certain patterns of gel are present in specific years, as well as details like portholes. I dont know specifically myself but I have seen a lot of them and can generally tell an early middle or late late 2000's by the gel and setup- not always though.

I dont have any guide, but if you send the Vin number on the starboard swimstep to Shauna she can tell you exactly what you have.

UD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts