Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
KONA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have been lurking for a few days and decided to join.

Last weekend, my father decided to give me his 1970s Kona outboard. It needs lots of work and hasn't ran since 2004. It has the infamous oil injected Mercury 150 Black Max with a busted Oil reservoir cap.

I will be repairing this old beauty this summer and fall.
I need to fix that oil cap, the trim servo then gut and paint it. After that, i will be building new seats as well as upholstery. Last but not least, the stock stereo will be replaced with something sweet.

Now for pics!

Close-up of the lack of paint...

I am planning on repainting it with this design but in Red and White...

So yes, HELLO and thanks for having me. :)

·
Platinum Member
2,102 Posts
Fun project boat sure would go well with a 2.5 optimax and hydrulic steering. move the steering wheel to the center for good balance 85 mph?

·
KONA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys have any tips for getting more speed out of this motor?
I plan on rebuilding the carb(s) and maybe a prop balance. Anything else?

Also, any opinions on waxing the bottom? will it get squirrelly or will it get more speed?

Thanks guys!

·
Upstanding Member
12,680 Posts
Do you guys have any tips for getting more speed out of this motor?
I plan on rebuilding the carb(s) and maybe a prop balance. Anything else?

Also, any opinions on waxing the bottom? will it get squirrelly or will it get more speed?

Thanks guys!
NOS!!! Waxing the bottom won't hurt but you won't notice any difference in speed.

Where do you live? Looks nice right there on the river.

·
Speedy Member
6,720 Posts
Hello, i have been lurking for a few days and decided to join.

Last weekend, my father decided to give me his 1970s Kona outboard. It needs lots of work and hasn't ran since 2004. It has the infamous oil injected Mercury 150 Black Max with a busted Oil reservoir cap.

I will be repairing this old beauty this summer and fall.
I need to fix that oil cap, the trim servo then gut and paint it. After that, i will be building new seats as well as upholstery. Last but not least, the stock stereo will be replaced with something sweet.

Now for pics!

Close-up of the lack of paint...

I am planning on repainting it with this design but in Red and White...

So yes, HELLO and thanks for having me. :)
2 words!!!

BITCH MAGNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
KONA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Towed it up to the driveway and took some of the crap out of it...

here are some more pics.

Odd note, like Holorinhal's Kona, the starboard bow has a slight hump for about 5 feet. I guess ever Kona that came from that Mold ended up like that?

SEPARATE EQ BABY!!!

and here is the owner.

·
Speed Alley 100MPH Club
247 Posts
Congratulations... good to have another outboard in the crowd.

Clean out your garage first. This is going to be fun and a huge learning experience.

Don't let the car motor boat guys give you shit. :)devil

·
KONA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn. I was supposed to pick up the Oil resevior cap today but it hasn't even been delivered yet!

gah...

So expect an update on Tuesday. I did clean the whole boat and installed the Battery. Tested the trim and the Down solenoid is roasted. i will ordering one of those and it should be here by next week as well.

·
KONA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well today was the first big day. My father adn i installed the new solenoid (we had to dismantle hte whole motor/pump assembly and clean the brushes on the motor. :))eek:)) )

after that went the oil cap. Busted the stock ground screw so we grounded to another screw nearby.

After that came the first start in FIVE YEARS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.