Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Swollen Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I picked up a hull awhile back and haven't done anything with it until now. This winter I'm starting the build on this thing. Its a 81 18ft Haskell Jet with a berk in it and a full stringer. Now from what I understand these pretty much all came with panthers but I found one that came with a berk thus the only reason I took it (and the fact it was 800 bucks). I checked and it hasn't been converted or anything and everything checked out. I hear these are also a pretty fast hull, can anyone verify this? Reading is one thing, first hand experience is alot better. My question is, I want to do something new, not the same straight up jet boat, then again I don't want some outlandish crap, I already have enough of that. Heres the boat-

This is the "newly rebuilt" pump that was in it and when i pulled it apart it looked exactly as I thought- about half and impeller and a 1/4 inch groove in the suction( thats history) and had the remanants of a jet-o-vator

So I got a new suction from CP used and took the bowl, suction, and transom plate and bead blasted off all the crap powdercoat and used a ton of coats of the merc black outdrive paint and then cleared it a couple time, little dusty but here is pic-

Already have the pump rebuild kit, black diverter, and a 655 HP BBC Ready but don't want to just throw the stuff in there, any suggestions?
Here is a pic of the boat in the water from the last owner-

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Two letters "CJ" :D

Let's go play!!!!!!!

GT

·
Just Me
4,066 Posts
Ok, so I picked up a hull awhile back and haven't done anything with it until now. This winter I'm starting the build on this thing. Its a 81 18ft Haskell Jet with a berk in it and a full stringer................ My question is, I want to do something new, not the same straight up jet boat, then again I don't want some outlandish crap, I already have enough of that.

Thanks in advance
Does this mean running a duramax with tractor pull headers (straight up) through a z drive with 58 percent gears overdriving the pump is out of the question? You could call it Long Black Train. :D

·
Swollen Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this mean running a duramax with tractor pull headers (straight up) through a z drive with 58 percent gears overdriving the pump is out of the question? You could call it Long Black Train. :D
Then I'm gonna need a killer set of mud flaps lol

·
Just Me
4,066 Posts
Don't forget better seats, you'll need something that will keep you in the boat. A duramax spinning twin turbos will crank an easy 1000HP and even bigger torque numbers. Instead of mud flaps (unless you wanted them on the trailer), put the flappers on the pipes and a locomotive airhorn on the bow. If you turn the horn around facing backwards like it should be mounted, don't forget hearing protection. And most boats already have a gun rack, although some of those city folk stick a paddle where the shotgun is supposed to clip (Go figure).

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I got an idea.......send it to me.:D

I'll give ya' $801 for it, everybody wins, lol.:p :D

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
LMAO!!!hil:)

Ok, back to the topic at hand. How much money ya got? I'm thinkin' EFI twin turbo BBC.;) :D

·
Just Me
4,066 Posts
Cummins 5.9L twin turbo!!!!
I think the duramax would work better.... the cummins would have a single stack and you wouldn't have to worry about melting the heads on the duramax as the river water would keep it nice and cool.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I think the duramax would work better.... the cummins would have a single stack and you wouldn't have to worry about melting the heads on the duramax as the river water would keep it nice and cool.
Duramax!!!!:)devil:)devil:)devil

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
IMO putting an Isuzu V-8 diesel in anything made in the US is against the rules...:|err

·
Swollen Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LMAO ok no really, I have a motor, 655 hp 502, no diesel unfortunately, i'll leave that to the tractor pullers. I thought briefly about a rotary though but that would be too many revs and i would have to kick my own ass for having a rotary

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
You could put it in ass backwards like the V-drive guys, and run the pump off the "front" of the motor, that would freak some people out.:D

·
Swollen Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd be the backwards man, I could just turn the seat around, kinda the same, So far I have decided the pump will get a stuffer, loader, i'm thinking maybe an inducer, not sure, I will probably need it. Any new trick stuff out there?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts