Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a new Canon EOS 40D camera Wednesday. Does anyone on here own one of these? If so what do you think of it? I got it for it's burst ratio 6 frams per second, It also has one of the higher megapixels I can find.I still have my old 35mm slr camera just wanted to get away from the film and go with a memory card.Plus allof the other bells and whistles. Now all I need is a better Video camera. Those start at around 2000.00 and do nothing but climb from there.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Great camera. I have a 20D and 5D. Get yourself some good glass and you will be very happy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you want to go wide you might want to look at the EFS line of lenses. They only work on Canon bodies with the cropped sensor such as the 20D, 40D, XTI etc. Not interchangeable with Film bodies. That is the one disadvantage with them but it is the only way your going to get truly wide angle images. I would say if you can afford it, get L lenses and only buy lenses with a fixed aperture. Don't buy glass that is f/4-5.6 etc. In other words if it was between the 70-200 f/4 or the 70-300 f/4-5.6 get the f/4. Hell if you can afford it, get the f/2.8L IS USM. Canon sucks for still having stuff like that out for consumers to buy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks SoCal I will keep that in mind. Now I just got to find the cash for the lenes. Where's Photo when you need her? I bet see has a couple of great suggestions too.
Canon always has some pretty good rebates. Keep an eye on their site. I have gotten a couple of lenses pretty cheap after a body rebate. Sometimes they double the rebate depending on how much you buy. Lenses will last a long time if you take care of them. Get the good ones. They will be used on the next camera you buy and the next one and the next one etc. Cameras are like computers now. You will want to upgrade every couple of years.

Found some cash for you

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PromotionsAct&fcategoryid=111

·
PB Administrator
1,205 Posts
Okay what type? wide angle of telescopic? I going towards more of the wide angle but the prices are pretty steep depending on the mm.
That really depends on what you need to shoot with it. For a nice all purpose lens a 28 to 135mm or a 18 to something around 55 will probably work well for you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mega pixels dont mean much its more of an advertising thing.I have seen people with 10d and 20ds do better and they are 6.3 and 8.0.Learn how to shoot in manual modes vs the fully auto otherwise you wont like the results and are wasting money.Higher pixels and top cameras dont make a pro out of the regular consumer but learning how to use the camera and skills get you further.

As for lenses like socal mentioned go L quality dont let people tell you that a 70-300usmIS does almost as good.At minimum settle for a 70-200 f4l but opt for a 70-200 f2.8 if you can.You have a quality camera dont put a 10 dollar lens on it!But depending on your needs will decide on the focal length if close shooting then 16-35 or a 17-40 might fit your needs but outdoor racing stuff a 70-200 is best.If nature stuff an image stabilized lens would help if action moving stuff it wont matter and is a waste of money.

Not trying to sound like an ass just giving some good pointers.socal is pretty right on also.BTW you can rent some lenses at camera shops before you buy.

For now i enjoy my mk2 with the 70-200 2.8L

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the pointers everyone. I was planning on shooting the kids basketball and soccer games along with the races. I figure I will just save my money and buy the L quality lenes.
B&H photo is a good place to order the 70-200 F2.8 runs about 1150.00.If out doors the F4L version will do good also for if majority of shooting is outdoors cost is about 550.00 But if low light or indoors action then the 2.8 version is the better way to go.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Also remember that when you buy an EFS lens, the focal length is correct for you sensor. The 40D has a crop factor of 1.6 so if you buy EF lenses multiple the focal legnth by 1.6 and that will tell you what it would be for your 40D.

IE, on the 40D, a 70-200mm is actually 112-320mm. This is the reason I suggested to buy EFS if you are really into wide angle shooting. If you bought a EF 24mm it would actually be a 38mm on the 40D. Disappointing when you wanted a nice 24mm.

I also have had good luck with B&H Photo. Easy to deal with when it comes to returns also. There is some solid advise in this thread.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also remember that when you buy an EFS lens, the focal length is correct for you sensor. The 40D has a crop factor of 1.6 so if you buy EF lenses multiple the focal legnth by 1.6 and that will tell you what it would be for your 40D.

IE, on the 40D, a 70-200mm is actually 112-320mm. This is the reason I suggested to buy EFS if you are really into wide angle shooting. If you bought a EF 24mm it would actually be a 38mm on the 40D. Disappointing when you wanted a nice 24mm.

I also have had good luck with B&H Photo. Easy to deal with when it comes to returns also. There is some solid advise in this thread.
I don't doubt that a bit. B&H is where the camera was bought from. We have dealt with them for our onboard lipstick cameras.Thanks for the heads up everyone.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The wife and I are looking at either the D80 or D40. You cant go wrong with either. Both are awesome. Nice pull.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'd also save for the L lenses. My favorite non L though is a 50MM 1.4. Takes some good pictures.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ is a great site with loads of useful information about everything really.
I have heard good things about these lenses for being non L.The 50mm 1.8 is also a good one but auto focus is slower but wouldnt make a diference if doing porteaits or stills.

I have a 20d and a digital rebel i use a 70-200f4l on the 20d and a 17-40f4l on the rebel both take very good pics.

Another who has ordered from BH photo.i got my 17-40 from them was 650 shipped 2nd day air.locally the same lens was 675 plus tax and shipping or 700 plus if i went to the store to buy it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Have you ever seen the pictures form a Canon 1Ds very nice. I like the 5D for a consumer level camera. I have not seen any images from the 40D but all Canon stuff is great. Don't buy after market glass stay with Canon lens only.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I use 1D's, and 30d, I shoot alot of action pictures of motorcycles, and although the advise on the lens is very good, it is a little over kill for what you are probably going to need. The good thing about the 40 is the burst rate, for action shots (I rarely take mine off of burst), and the fast power up time.

·
BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
783 Posts
I have 10d w/top of line lenses,the "glass" makes all the differance in the world, I am looking @d40 also, just have not pulled trigger yet. Good luck with camera. Way better than film.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Camera should be here by Wednesday. The wife ordered a basic lens to start off with. I couldn't tell you what it is since it is a present. But it should be a descent one since she wastalking with the guys from B&H. Cost of the lens was 409.00. I was amazed at the price for the memory cards. Those to can get a little spendy. They also recommend a faster memory card then the standard basic card. They recommend a lens filter also for glare for outdoor shoots. I'm guessing it's a polarize filter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts