Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginning in February, Arizona will be changing the level and method of measuring noise levels from Recreational Boats.

AZ will be adopting the SAE J2005 (Stationary) and SAE 1970 (Shoreline) Standards. (These are the same standards used by California since 2005)

For the J2005 test, the maximum level will be set at 88-90 db(a), measured 1 meter off the water and 1 meter back from the exhaust outlet with the engine(s) at idle. (The level depends on year of engine manufacture. Before Jan 1, 1993 - 90dba. On or after Jan 1, 1993 - 88 dba)

For the J1970 test the maximum level is 75 db(a) at ANY distance and any engine speed, with the instrument situated on or adjacent to the shoreline.

The reasoning for the new standards is that most noise complaints come from those in Marinas and along shorelines. The new methods and levels are meant to alleviate those complaints by making standards that target those areas.

Since Marina's and areas directly adjacent to the shore are generally "no wake zones," the J2005 (stationery) standard will deter excessive noise in those areas.

And the J1970 (Shoreline) standard will keep loud boats a suitable distance from the shore.

Under the new standards there will no longer be testing out on the lake. The old 86 db @ 50 feet "pass-by test" is gone. Testing will only be done at idle or from the shoreline (or a from a boat directly adjacent to the shoreline).

The requirement for all boats to be equipped with effective muffling systems, in good working order and in constant operation, remains in effect. Silent Choice or other switchable exhaust being run in the "OPEN" or "BY-PASS" position are still illegal.

I will be developing Policy and Procedures that my Agency will use in enforcing the new limits and testing. I can't tell you what they're going to be, until I go through training on the new methods next month.

I have no control over ANY OTHER AGENCIES, nor can I comment on their philosophy in enforcing these limits or the areas they will be enforcing them in.

Certain lakes under the jurisdiction of a single entity, such as the National Park Service on Mead, Mohave and Powell, and in Federal Wildlife Refuges have their own regulations, independent of State Law. They WILL enforce their own Regs, if more restrictive.

Before the Chicken-Littles start running around, if you think about these new standards, they actually benefit the performance boater in that there are few restrictions once the boat is out on the lake.

·
Speed Alley 100MPH Club
253 Posts
Thanks Alan...

I'm glad the "drive by" test is gone. When I'm trimmed up and out, mine is still rather loud.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Thanks Alan...

I'm glad the "drive by" test is gone. When I'm trimmed up and out, mine is still rather loud.
But that doesnt mean that if you are cruzing by and the LEO thinks your too loud that he cant stop you right? And then peform the stated test procedure, correct?? NSF

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But that doesnt mean that if you are cruzing by and the LEO thinks your too loud that he cant stop you right? And then peform the stated test procedure, correct?? NSF
In my opinion, since there will be no standards for what is "too loud" out on the water, I don't see any basis for the stop.

It's like stopping someone for speeding on the road. Just because I "think" you may be going to fast, there's no basis for me to stop you if I don't have a way to measure the speed, like radar or pacing.

And although I may have a meter to measure your noise level going by, there will be no standards (db level) to measure against to determine if you are "too loud".

As I said, I'll have to come up with procedures for us to use. I have no idea how other Agencies will handle it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They have been enforcing noise limits down at LOTO for the last couple of years.

I don't know whose db meter's that they use but they are a commercial grade that has to be calibrated and checked before each test.

Down here they almost never use the drive by test and will check you if they think your boat is too loud.

They use the same SAE standards and 90db at idle is the loudest you can be without getting a $125.00 ticket and told to leave the lake until it's corrected.

The only time it's waved is for Special Events and Regatta's where I believe they have a window of 24 hours before, during and after the event.

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
Please define noise. Stereos can easily drown out a loud engine, and usually they are on all day along the shoreline. I agree you can't be running up and down river rattling windows, but some of those stereos do a good job of that as well. :rolleyes:

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please define noise. Stereos can easily drown out a loud engine, and usually they are on all day along the shoreline. I agree you can't be running up and down river rattling windows, but some of those stereos do a good job of that as well. :rolleyes:
The boating laws specifically address exhaust noise. But there are other laws, such as "Disorderly Conduct" or disturbing the peace. They state that making "unreasonable noise" is a violation.

If someone's stereo is bothering you, you can file a complaint and we'll make them turn it down. But for any prosecution, you would have to testify in court that the stereo was "unreasonable" and disturbed your peace.

·
Registered
425 Posts
They quit testing us at the river due to the "echo". The LEO's boat won't even pass at speed.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I care about this for my friends. Good for them.

However, my boat is stealth. I cant hear the motors on at all. I figure I will burn up about 2 starters every year trying to fire it up while it is already on. Looking at the tach is too easy.. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Alan, excuse me if I missed it but can you tell us what AZ statute covers the new noise standards? I know California AB1555 was passed for this issue and I would assume that AZ did something similar.

Lastly...will the Lake Havasu Marina Nazis abide by this test instead of their "3 bigs steps" and 86 dB (frequently on the wrong scale and wrong response) test? Me thinks NOT!

·
IDGAF
2,872 Posts
Alan, excuse me if I missed it but can you tell us what AZ statute covers the new noise standards? I know California AB1555 was passed for this issue and I would assume that AZ did something similar.

Lastly...will the Lake Havasu Marina Nazis abide by this test instead of their "3 bigs steps" and 86 dB (frequently on the wrong scale and wrong response) test? Me thinks NOT!
so is there a decent muffler I can put on when I go to havi, that will make mine legal??
How do you know if it will work before you buy them?? I've never had any issues up here, but I'm thinkin its way to loud for havi..
Are some better then others or what??? thanks

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
so is there a decent muffler I can put on when I go to havi, that will make mine legal??
How do you know if it will work before you buy them?? I've never had any issues up here, but I'm thinkin its way to loud for havi..
I would go with some Gibson Bullet clamp ons or do a set of Imco Gatlins.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

AZ Noise regulations are contained in:

ARS 5-336. Muffling devices

A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C.

B. It is not the intent of this section to prohibit the use of any type of exhaust system or exhaust device, including those systems and devices which do not discharge water with the exhaust gases, if such system or device complies with subsection A of this section.

C. All watercraft actually competing in a regatta, boat race or official trials for speed records, and within the time limits authorized by the sanctioning body of such event are exempt from this section. Permits designating place and time limits are required and shall be issued by the department prior to the testing of watercraft on the water when sufficient evidence is provided by the applicant that such watercraft is actually entered in an event sanctioned by a national or regional organization having jurisdiction over the event.
And also in Arizona Game and Fish Commission Rules:

R12-4-516. Watercraft Sound Level Restriction

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a watercraft upon the waters of this state under any condition or in any manner that the watercraft emits a sound level in excess of 86 decibels on the "A" weighted scale when measured from a distance of 50 feet or more from the watercraft.

B. This Section shall not apply to watercraft operated under permits issued in accordance to A.R.S. § 5-336(C).
Now these are the current levels. The new ones won't go into effect until Feb 2008, but should be similar, if not exactly like, California's law. The levels are taken from the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators model act for noise regulation. The Rules (stated above) don't require legislative action, such as changing the law, and only needs the Arizona Game and Fish Commission to change the "Rule". State law allows the Commission to amplify statutes without legislative action.

As far as the Marina testing, they aren't guided by any authority, rule, nor law, and pretty much do whatever they want. It's up to someone other than me to take action to reign them in.

·
just a member
614 Posts
I dunno Ken. I don't think that you're too loud now. I think that you'll be okay.

·
Semper Fi
33 Posts
Alan

There is no way that we will know if we are in complience with the j1970 without some sort of test. I do not believe that our boats are excesively noisy. Your officers may not agree. Will you offer a 'free pass' by your river headquarters for a db test of the j1970 rule. In the past the noise citations have been a bit subjective. I am all for an objective rule however I don't have a db meter. If the boats are not in complience we will quiet them down.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 59 Posts