Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-gm-chairman-“i-don’t-know-anything-about-cars”.html

Yesterday, General Motors announced that it would bring former SBC and AT&T chief Edward Whitacre, someone with no automotive industry experience, to be its new Chairman when it emerges from bankruptcy. Whitacre, who is said to be a current Cadillac owner, successfully grew AT&T into the country’s largest telecom provider, but faces a daunting task with helping to turn GM around.

“I don’t know anything about cars,” Whitacre, 67, said yesterday in an interview with Bloomberg. “A business is a business, and I think I can learn about cars. I’m not that old, and I think the business principles are the same.”

Whitacre won’t be the first industry outsider charged with helping to turn around a struggling automaker; Ford hired former Boeing chief Alan Mulally to be its new President CEO because of the work he had done at the Seattle-based airplane manufacturer. Though Ford is not profitable, most analysts say that Mulally’s efforts, not to mention his public persona, have been highly beneficial.

Those same industry analysts seem to be universally positive on Whitacre’s appointment.

“He was one of the guys who helped create a new AT&T that wasn’t so dependent on land-line phone service,” Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics, told Bloomberg. “There’s a parallel with General Motors. GM is not now about just making cars. It’s about re-creating itself as a 21st-century car company. They have to have somebody at the top that understands they have to make a new GM.”

Whitacre, born and raised in Ennis, Texas, about an hour’s drive from Dallas, is said to be an aggressive but generally affable leader. His position at GM will be more about ensuring the automaker’s strategies remain in place by keeping an eye on leadership than in formulating them, as CEO Fritz Henderson will be expected to do

·
Registered
686 Posts
I wonder if Ed will bring back the edsel. I hope GM will have better customer service then AT&T. lol :)grn

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
And it just keeps getting better for GM and Chryler. I don't know about you guys, but the last time I needed warranty service on my truck I didn't take it to Qwest. Theres a huge difference from a guy going from Boeing to Ford, then AT&T to GM. Unbelieveable.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
And it just keeps getting better for GM and Chryler. I don't know about you guys, but the last time I needed warranty service on my truck I didn't take it to Qwest. Theres a huge difference from a guy going from Boeing to Ford, then AT&T to GM. Unbelieveable.
I must say though, he's a helluva lot more qualified than HusseinO is for his "promotion" from the streets and a the majority of his appointees......Of course O's folks have lowered the standards so far a 7-11 clerk would be more qualified.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I must say though, he's a helluva lot more qualified than HusseinO is for his "promotion" from the streets and a the majority of his appointees......Of course O's folks have lowered the standards so far a 7-11 clerk would be more qualified.
I think your on to something there with the whole lowering the bar deal. If they had any brains, and by they I mean O, they'd go pick Iacocoa's brain. It seems the man knows a thing or two about how to turn an automobile company around. But thats just me, I tend to side towards logic and actually fixing a problem.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I think your on to something there with the whole lowering the bar deal. If they had any brains, and by they I mean O, they'd go pick Iacocoa's brain. It seems the man knows a thing or two about how to turn an automobile company around. But thats just me, I tend to side towards logic and actually fixing a problem.
is he still alive? hella marketing guy but he didn't nothing for chrysler's powertrain issues. they've always had some decent looking cars and trucks, but they've always had chit for motors and trans.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
is he still alive? hella marketing guy but he didn't nothing for chrysler's powertrain issues. they've always had some decent looking cars and trucks, but they've always had chit for motors and trans.
I'd agree with that in the past. Just was referring to how he turned the company around. And he's still alive.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
BETTER CHOICE THAN THE 31 YR OLD HARVARD LAW GRAD WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE "AUTO-BAILOUT" FIASCO.

crap, sorry about the caps, not re-typing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts