Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 1978 19ft tunnel hin id says its Makai marine I'm thinking it's just a mach 1. got it from the original owner who's passed away who but his wife said I could have it. Came from Huntington Beach he must have used it only a hand full of times. Since I can't front any scratched on the bottom of the hull. Since I picked it up I've built the motor it's now a 468 Chevy with the original Mickey Thompson finned valves coveres and edelbrock tunnel ram with 1965 396-427 closed chambered heads mildly ported and cleaned up. Heads were completely rebuilt. Kept it a flat tappet motor with hydraulic lifters.
Running a engine pro stage 4 cam
Flat top pistons
Dooley 1 off 12qt oil pan I got from Craig at Dooley.
Compression is 10.5-1
I'm running a single Holley 850 that J&j carbs rebuilt for me and flow tested to the engine specs.
So far I've polished the entire original gel coat back to its prime
Builts a set of transom plates out of scrap 3/16 and 1/8 aluminum from work
Had Chris at B1 overhaul the pump
Added a place diverter that I got from Greg at G&S stripped that and repainted it white.
Polished the transom plates
Did earls bulkhead fittings for the stainless hydraulic lines I'm having made for the place diverter.
Bought a set of buckets from Dan at canyon marine.
Got hooked up with some nice used parts from a fellow forum guy.
Polished my 67 us indy mags and got new tires for the trailer ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312597.495198.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312607.648269.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312616.562596.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312634.985875.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312658.571787.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312667.361976.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312680.536308.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312693.123729.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312738.640593.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439312288.856319.jpg

Pics are out of order but this has been the most fun over the last 2 months getting this thing from a terd to cleaned up.
Hope to freshen up the trailer next. New wider fenders bunks and led lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Not to be an ass, but I would ditch that tunnel ram. either get a Dual carb top, or put a different manifold all together on it. That thing is going to kill your engine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to be an ass, but I would ditch that tunnel ram. either get a Dual carb top, or put a different manifold all together on it. That thing is going to kill your engine.
What's the reason it will kill my engine?
I'm having it tuned and dyno before I even put it on boat. Trying to keep it old school

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also in the city of orange off chapman where abouts you from?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've been reading up on them. Basically building a period correct cruiser just to play in nothing to race.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
poor fuel distribution and lack of performance, not saying it wont work, but saying there are many better choices out there.

Im off of main and chapman

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
poor fuel distribution and lack of performance, not saying it wont work, but saying there are many better choices out there.

Im off of main and chapman
Nice maybe cruise by and give me a few pointers one of these days. I'm chapman and prospect
I really just like the cool old school look I know it's not going to make me anymore powrr but I'm going for that old rat gasser look and wanna keep it all In that era
Maybe down the road after I'll do a dual set up with that tr2 tunnel ram

I got boat motor and trailer and the rest basically for free so in honor of the original owner I'm keeping old school also one of the other reasons.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439481502.719397.jpg made a quick set of drive plate tabs to get me on the water. Once I have time I'll draw up a nice set in solid works and cut them out. This will work for now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439481571.295840.jpg
Also mounted the diverter pump off the transom in between the transom plate bolts tucked away and simple

My only concern is how much weight can the ass end of the boat have?
I was thinking of doing a panel on the opposite side to mount the starter solenoid off with the rest of my wiring harness going to and a few relays to even out the weight that the pump has on driver side.

The battery is bolted off the stringer on passenger side about 12 inches off the transom.
I'm using all weather pack style connections trying to hide as much of the wiring as I can. I would even like to hide the coil if I could.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In LA...

hey man, I am in LA for the next couple of weeks (back on monday) but would like to cruise by and take a look at your boat.

thx,

jeremy
520-834-4046

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah I've been reading up on them. Basically building a period correct cruiser just to play in nothing to race.

Some people have made the single TR work, some have not.

My vote would be to go with the dual carb and couple of velocity stacks. :)devil

But I'm not paying for it, so your vote wins. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some people have made the single TR work, some have not.

My vote would be to go with the dual carb and couple of velocity stacks. :)devil

But I'm not paying for it, so your vote wins. :)
I hope I'm one of those who make it work 😁

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439698627.319364.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439698636.287060.jpg
Started to seal up transom plate base

Also pulled the tanks out to lay up some new bases for them since the fiberglass was dry and brittle ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439698696.110889.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439698703.758743.jpg
Floors I think will be next get a better shine on them with some clear ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439698736.513967.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439698778.431773.jpg

Any new trick ways to mount these blank brackets besides to wood? I was thinking of using aluminum plates and glassing in the aluminum.... Or would that just look stupid?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Any new trick ways to mount these blank brackets besides to wood? I was thinking of using aluminum plates and glassing in the aluminum.... Or would that just look stupid?

Here's a link were I posted an artyicle I scanned from Hot Boat.

Saddle tank mounting

If you do a forum search on "mounting tanks", you'll find quite a few threads.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Manifold

I would stay away from a vacuum secondary carb. It will
even make it worse on that manifold. RACERICK

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would stay away from a vacuum secondary carb. It will
even make it worse on that manifold. RACERICK
I'm running a mechanical secondary Holley 850 that's been rebuilt here in Fullerton by j&j carbs. I know they flow test them to specs of motor and intake profile. Not sure how accurate it is but I'll have a good benchmark to start with once I get the motor broken in and dyno/tune once and if my dyno guy ever gets his new shop in order. At this point I'm fine with the fact I'm 4 weeks behind and give me a chance to dive into other important areas of the boat that need. Attention. Looks like no floating this summer maybe a few trips to the green drink Elsinore this winter once I finish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts