Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to the forum got told this is a better place to be if your on he west coast so i joined up. i got a 1978 tahiti with a berkeley 12jc panther logs, and a 427 bbc talldeck that i plan to mill down to std next winter.

i know its not that nice the only thing i will probably do for a while to it is build the motor. its hard to fund a jet boat project and go to high school lol so i will probably be on here alot asking dumb questions.:)hand

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Why would you want to mill the block down? You are ahead of the game with a tall deck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did i miss somthing about the tall decks? i thought they wherent as good as the std deck because they are low comperesion

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
did i miss somthing about the tall decks? i thought they wherent as good as the std deck because they are low comperesion

Compression is a piston thing, not a block thing, build the tall deck, it can be mean as hell:|err May cost a tad more though.:)bulb

GT

·
old HB member.
71 Posts
welcome to the boards, talldeck and dumb questions, sounds familiar.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Damn, wish I had a boat in highschool! Welcome to the site, congrats on the purchase. Build that tall block for sure!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
pshh...don't listen to these guys...that tall block is worthless and the govt. will charge you a lot to keep it...

put it on a crate and mail it to my home address...

:)

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
welcome to the boards, talldeck and dumb questions, sounds familiar.
High school too.;) Well was at the time when I bought mine lol:)sphss

:)hand

Welcome to the site.:) KEEP THE TALL DECK!!!!!!!! If you find a few grand laying around, you can turn that thing into a bad ass 496 stroker.;) Bore it over .060" to 4.310" bore, put in a new 4.250" crank, 6.535" long rods, and new pistons with a compression height of 1.520" is one combination that would really wake that thing up. But to do it right you'd need to upgrade the top end as well, and that get's expensive quick!!!!:)st

You're further along than I was when I bought my boat, mine came without an engine, and with an interior that the mice had a field day with.:|err But it did come with a few extra jet pumps that i parted out to fund the project.:D

Good luck to ya and don't try to do anything too crazy, just have fun with what ya got.;) Oh and listen to these guys, most of them know what they're talking about.;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
High school too.;) Well was at the time when I bought mine lol:)sphss

:)hand

Welcome to the site.:) KEEP THE TALL DECK!!!!!!!! If you find a few grand laying around, you can turn that thing into a bad ass 496 stroker.;) Bore it over .060" to 4.310" bore, put in a new 4.250" crank, 6.535" long rods, and new pistons with a compression height of 1.520" is one combination that would really wake that thing up. But to do it right you'd need to upgrade the top end as well, and that get's expensive quick!!!!:)st

You're further along than I was when I bought my boat, mine came without an engine, and with an interior that the mice had a field day with.:|err But it did come with a few extra jet pumps that i parted out to fund the project.:D

Good luck to ya and don't try to do anything too crazy, just have fun with what ya got.;) Oh and listen to these guys, most of them know what they're talking about.;)

ya the only reason i actualy bought the boat was because my friends dad had a dump truck that had a freshly rebuilt 427 engine in it so i thought it was a good deal all i had to do was drop the engine in.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
ya the only reason i actualy bought the boat was because my friends dad had a dump truck that had a freshly rebuilt 427 engine in it so i thought it was a good deal all i had to do was drop the engine in.
There is nothing wrong with these engines, they're not the fastest out there in the stock condition, but they will do fine. They're pretty thick and beefy so you can go almost any direction with them, when you have the money. Do you know if it has the large oval port heads or the little peanut port heads?

Does it run?? Have you had it out on the water yet??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is nothing wrong with these engines, they're not the fastest out there in the stock condition, but they will do fine. They're pretty thick and beefy so you can go almost any direction with them, when you have the money. Do you know if it has the large oval port heads or the little peanut port heads?

Does it run?? Have you had it out on the water yet??
i believe it is a rectange port and yes it runs i have had in out on the water and it was like the 3rd day i owned it lol my uncle was going to the lake so had to get it done to go with him and it was missing at full throttle i didnt time it perfectly just by ear lol and i was still pulling by his small block 350 hawian with an omc pump. lol it was hilarious he said that there was no way my boat would pull by his because his pump was bigger lol proved him wrong.

for this summer i was thinking about putting a cam in it? would that be a good idea?

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
i believe it is a rectange port and yes it runs i have had in out on the water and it was like the 3rd day i owned it lol my uncle was going to the lake so had to get it done to go with him and it was missing at full throttle i didnt time it perfectly just by ear lol and i was still pulling by his small block 350 hawian with an omc pump. lol it was hilarious he said that there was no way my boat would pull by his because his pump was bigger lol proved him wrong.

for this summer i was thinking about putting a cam in it? would that be a good idea?
Rectangle port, even better!!:D It's hard to beat a Berk pump with a big block in front of it.;) Jet boats LOVE big blocks!!!!!!:)bulb

A cam would really liven that thing up, just make sure to get one that is ground for a jet boat application.;) The others here can correct me if I'm wrong cause they really know wtf they're talking about. But this would probably be a good cam for your application.

Comp Cams

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
thanks hawianjet that looks good. have to save some money up now to feed the motor and to buy a cam lol.
I know exactly how you feel.;) I haven't even de-winterized mine yet cause money is really tight right now.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
lol ya do you know where to find some fairly cheap intake spacers cause i got a brand new edlbrock intake but its for a std deck.
Hey welcome to the boards! HJ thats a good cam, but I think for a stock motor the crane Energiser cam and lifter set would be more suitable for that motor! I would venture to say that the motor is only about 81/2 to 91/2 to 1 and if that motor is tired I don't think I would even put a cam in it until it was aleast freshend up, just my 2 cents for what it worth!
And as for your manifold goes, post it on here for sale or trade for what you want! Also keep EYE ON YOUR MOTOR TEMP, if you have not looked at the pump, or the impeller, you might want to, cause if your impeller is going away it will cause problems with not only the pump, but the crank as well!!! make sure that there is grease in the thurst bearing in the front of the pump, no grease will cause the bearing to burn up and possibley freeze up on you! Just make sure if you are going to use it for the summer, go through the boat and check everything out for any possible problems, nothing worse then getting stuck on the lake!!!
Tye:)hand

1 - 20 of 30 Posts