Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this company while looking on ebay for a spare prop. Cutting Edge Propeller out of Mission Viejo, Owner Greg Hittner. He/They are making their own labbed, polished, razor sharp 4 blade props. I think the blades and center are cast seperate and then welded together and lab finished.

Has anyone heard of them or have any experience to share? Of course the claim is increased performance over merc

Here is the link http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cutting+edge+labbed+propeller&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&_odkw=labbed+propeller&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

100% positive on ebay ...160 transactions. Anyone?

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
Not sure I'm feelin the whole there a new prop mfg. They r prob just another Bronson hill type that tweeks and tunes and repairs. To build from scratch requires a foundry and very skilled labor. Mercs props r sand cast then polished by hand. No joe schmo start up is gonna compete with the likes of merc and herring. Competing with Bronson and others like them well that's a little more believeable. This guy sounds like he buys merc props tweeks them them resells them. I hope they do well.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are priced between $450-$650 (who knows what the reserve is) that is too low to be a tweaked prop that was purchased from merc. There is one post on offshoreonly and the claim is that it is his own creation.

Anyone tried them?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From ebay:

this is a brand new, just manufactued, right handprofessionally race labbed, balanced & race edge prepped, “cutting edge series ii

"cutting edge series ii labbed propellers"are manufactured one off, and one at a time and are not produced in a high production propeller facility the way so many other prop manufacturers operate. Made individually, to exacting standards, our propellers are manufactured with the highest degree of quality, accuracy and attention to detail.

ONCE AGAIN, THIS PROPELLER IS A BRAND NEW 4 BLADE, BRAVO 1 STYLE PROP THAT IS RACE LABBED, BALANCED, SHARPENED TO A NEARLY RAZOR SHARP RACE PREPPED EDGE, THEN HAND POLISHED TO A MIRROR FINISH. THIS LABBED PROP WILL RUN 3-6 MPH FASTER THAN A STOCK COUNTERPART.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
c'mon anyone? I hate being the first to try something out.

Is welding cast blades stronger than a 1 piece casting?

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Chris at Lavey informed me about them and said they have been using them lately with good results on prop mods.

·
Duramax Burning Biodiesel
13 Posts
Anyone have experience with his props rather than his lab services on a bravo prop?
Hi, new to the forum but I did purchase one of Greg's "cutting edge" custom props a couple weeks back.

Also found him off eBay.. I was running Bravo 32 4 blade on a XR and can boil it out of the water with ease [duramax diesel powered making 1300 ft lb torque] so wanted to go 5 blades and bigger pitch [36 + pitch]. After some searching the options, I realized no one made what I was looking for.

Sent him an Email, quick response. After a couple phone calls to discuss options he built me a 5 on 35p x 15 1/4 with nice lab work that did the trick.. About 12 days from order to bolting it on the boat.
See my avatar <<<

The props are his design far as I know, at least cast with "cutting edge" in the hub. Price was very fair for the work, and he will give ya the first re-tune for free. I picked up 12mph on the top end and it hooked up out of the hole fixing my bad cavitation issues.

Seems to know his stuff, the prop "WAS" top notch construction in my book. Unfortunately I only got 150 miles of run time before I snagged some kinda wire or cable running across Lake Erie last week and took some big chucks out of his nice razor edge work. But the blades held up without breaking.

He has it back now assessing the damages... Have aftermath picture if ya want em'.

I'd recommend his stuff, if it was weak I'd found out quick. :|err

-K

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am playing with one of his props now. Not dialed in yet but I can say that his service is great! I will post my results when I am done testing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
We are still trying to get the prop dialed in ...so I am not done yet. I can say that I am amazed at the service that Gregg is providing. Usually picks up his cell right away, and if not, he gets back to me right away...very impresive service. I have sent the prop back to him several times and he is great to deal with.

·
Registered
944 Posts
We are still trying to get the prop dialed in ...so I am not done yet. I have sent the prop back to him several times and he is great to deal with.
Several times......? I am thinking that would be 3 or more trips to the propshop to get it right? Isn't that a lot? What sort of problems did you have?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't have a problem with it...just testing all kinds of different things to be sure I find the right one. I should say this will be the third prop. The first was too large in diameter, the second still had too much pitch....hopefully when I get it back it will outperform the b1 I have been using. According to greg it is better to start with too much diameter and pitch and work down rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't have a problem with it...just testing all kinds of different things to be sure I find the right one. I should say this will be the third prop. The first was too large in diameter, the second still had too much pitch....hopefully when I get it back it will outperform the b1 I have been using. According to greg it is better to start with too much diameter and pitch and work down rather than the other way around.
I tell all of my customers that we will tune their Cutting Edge Propeller for the first time complimentary on us. Just pay the shipping and the tuning is on me. Many of my customers come to CUTTING EDGE PROPELLERS after very frustrating experiences with other prop manufacturers who do not have the patience to tune a propeller through completion, until it is the optimal propeller for that particular boats powertrain, X dimension, hull type and overall setup. WE DO........ Many of our customers come to us with first time builds, repowers, and prop setups that have simply not worked for their particular boat wherein they have NO IDEA where to start. If that takes multiple tunings, different pitches, rake changes or simply cup defferentiations, we are there. We WILL tune your Cutting Edge Propeller until both you, my customer and myself are convinced that we have the optimal propeller for your particular setup. We tune and repair all propellers From Herings to Mirage.
My Best,
Greg Hittner

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I tell all of my customers that we will tune the propeller for the first time complimentary on us. Just pay the shipping and the tuning is on me.
I would love to give a stock 26P merc to you. I currently run a cut down 28P that is a 27 actually and have great results.

Where is your shop Greg?

·
Registered
316 Posts
his shop is in Santa Ana...he lives in Mission Viejo. It is probably easier to go to kinko's and fed ex it for $10.....that is what I have been doing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts