Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big month and rest of the year coming up with major presentations to a bunch of folks that I am looking to impress. Well monied people with taste and style. I have several very, VERY nice suits, but all were tailored for me about 30 pounds lighter and 10 years ago when I was a SEAL. Needless to say, while I am still in shape, I am not in the condition I was in then. Pulling one of the DKNY suits out of the closet yesterday in fact I realized that I was a 42 jacket and a 30" waist. Um.... that isn't going to fit... :D

Good news is, I still fit a 42 jacket, especially the european brands with a more athletic, fitted look. As such that puts me back up in crazy price land and I hardly ever pay retail for anything... so here is what I am asking...

I have tried on three suits I really like... An Armani at $2025, an Ermenegildo Zegna for $2250 and a Dior for $2600.

Does anyone on here have any sort of hookup on any of these brands? I am looking for a current year suit, so outlet stores are out, and I would never buy one off of E-bay or Craig's list.

Lastly, I need to have it in the bag by Sep 16th, the day I leave for the first four big meetings.

Any help or hookups would be appreciated. If I have to pay retail, I will, but I would prefer to give someone on here the business if I need to.

Thanks,

Wes

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
I just dropped some dimes on new suits this past Wednesday. I personally like Nordys.

It sucks being a guy that needs a 48 jacket and 36 pant. I have to completely cut up the pants to make them fit. :|err

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
I have a big month and rest of the year coming up with major presentations to a bunch of folks that I am looking to impress. Well monied people with taste and style. I have several very, VERY nice suits, but all were tailored for me about 30 pounds lighter and 10 years ago when I was a SEAL. Needless to say, while I am still in shape, I am not in the condition I was in then. Pulling one of the DKNY suits out of the closet yesterday in fact I realized that I was a 42 jacket and a 30" waist. Um.... that isn't going to fit... :D

Good news is, I still fit a 42 jacket, especially the european brands with a more athletic, fitted look. As such that puts me back up in crazy price land and I hardly ever pay retail for anything... so here is what I am asking...

I have tried on three suits I really like... An Armani at $2025, an Ermenegildo Zegna for $2250 and a Dior for $2600.

Does anyone on here have any sort of hookup on any of these brands? I am looking for a current year suit, so outlet stores are out, and I would never buy one off of E-bay or Craig's list.

Lastly, I need to have it in the bag by Sep 16th, the day I leave for the first four big meetings.

Any help or hookups would be appreciated. If I have to pay retail, I will, but I would prefer to give someone on here the business if I need to.

Thanks,

Wes
wow, thats alot of money... i have some nice boardshorts and maybe a t-shirt.
thats the good thing about having a uniform for my job... what color today, oh - blue, gosh what about tomorrow, oh - blue. u get the point, good luck Wes!

·
Administrator
16,892 Posts
Wes, I would say the material things that you buy will not impress them.

I'm sure you're enthusiasm and knowledge will be quite enough.

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just dropped some dimes on new suits this past Wednesday. I personally like Nordys.

It sucks being a guy that needs a 48 jacket and 36 pant. I have to completely cut up the pants to make them fit. :|err
Went to Nordy's last night based on a referral to a personal shopper. Saw the Zegna and the Armani there in fact. The Dior was up in Costa Mesa at the Dior store, and it was honestly the bomb. Like, way nicer than the others... at least for me.

Leaning towards the Armani right now though. They have this really cool really dark brown, almost black with subtle stripes that kind of has an iridescence under lights as well. The color alone is selling this for me, as I don't own any brown suits at all, so this would be a nice change.

What did you end up getting?

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Nordstroms rack.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,091 Posts

Thanks,

Wes
Wes,

Just my .02, but unless you are going to a Hollywood opening most people will not know the difference in your suite choice. If you haven't tried them out yet take a look at Men's Fashion Depot and The Men's Wearhouse.

It's kind of the Rolex vs. (something else thing) you might just want the Rolex.

My mother wears St. Johns (knits) and she buys my dad's suites there and he looks as good as any other man in the room. Also I have a brother who's a clothes horse and he has several great looking suites from the Mens Wearhouse.

Good luck on your up coming business ventures...

Sleeper CP :D

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
How about being in a 52 coat to have any room to move in the shoulders and in a 36" waist.

Oh, and I found that taking the suit to a tailor is much easier than just cutting on them myself. The result is typically much better as well. :D :D :D

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wes, I would say the material things that you buy will not impress them.

I'm sure you're enthusiasm and knowledge will be quite enough.
Not hardly. This will be a room full of $5K+ suits. We are in an acquisition period right now, and this is part of it.

Plus, there is nothing, and I mean nothing... like a fine fitting suit. It feels like armor when you are rocking it.

For the amount of time that I wear a suit (10 times or less per year) I think it is worth nutting up for the right one...

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wes,

Just my .02, but unless you are going to a Hollywood opening most people will not know the difference in your suite choice.
Thing is, I go to those too...

It's kind of the Rolex vs. (something else thing) you might just want the Rolex.
It is a little like that... I do love playing dress up, and I can't wait to own the pimp watch too... Instead I have a Citizen that is among the most accurate, lightweight and bitchin performers in the watch world (kind of like the Trident) instead of the Rolex GMT Master or the Omega Sea Master, my second choice. It is pure function, and as a titanium watch is half the weight of the others it's size (42mm) while also being under a grand.

Someday I will have the Rolex. Just not today. :D

Good luck on your up coming business ventures...

Sleeper CP :D
Thanks! If things go well in this I might have the Rolex sooner than later... :D

Wes

·
Registered
672 Posts
You say there's nothing like a fine fitting suit....

I personally like a clean T shirt better. Suits make me feel like an imposter.

If you get the $$$$ suit, show some style...go commando.

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Are you really going to pop $2K+ on clothes to convince folks that you need money?
No... I am going to pop another $2K on clothes because they are worth it. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. They are hosting the meeting, I am the target. I could wear flip flops and shorts like I usually do, but I am planning on wearing a suit instead.

I started at the $500 suits... I really did. But the guy brought over this nice jacket, and when I tried it on my wife oohhhed and I aahhhed and it was clearly way, WAY nicer than anything else I had tried on. That was the Zegna. Then came the "if you like that... try this on..." with the Armani, then the Versace. None of them had labels on them, so it wasn't a brand thing... the nice suits are just really a lot nicer than the less expensive suits. Kind of like boats.

Things like all of the pinstripes lining up. The only suit that had perfectly aligned patterns was the Dior. Coture finishing touches on the buttons that worked and fit perfectly, collars that laid perfectly flat, and shoulders that fit perfectly with no bunching at all.

A really well made suit looks like it when you wear it. A poor suit looks like it as well.

I pay attention to the details in almost everything I buy or build. It inevitably leads me to purchase stuff that I have to really stretch to afford, or give something else up for. It isn't like I am made of money, or have a big pot to pull from... I just would rather spend the money and get what I want the first time as I have learned my lesson.

In any case, I am not trying to talk myself into or out of it... and I am not looking for approval. I am just looking to see if anyone on here has a hookup that will make the sting a little less.

lebel409 said:
If you get the $$$$ suit, show some style...go commando.
Well... duh! :D

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
you could go to downtown l.a. where all the sweat shops are and propably get a knock off suit for a fraction of the price, plus the illegals selling out the back door would appreciate your money..............but I believe there is an outlet store in either l.a. or ontario that sells those name brand suits, at a fraction of the cost.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
I started at the $500 suits... I really did. But the guy brought over this nice jacket, and when I tried it on my wife oohhhed and I aahhhed and it was clearly way, WAY nicer than anything else I had tried on. That was the Zegna. Then came the "if you like that... try this on..." with the Armani, then the Versace. None of them had labels on them, so it wasn't a brand thing... the nice suits are just really a lot nicer than the less expensive suits. Kind of like boats.
It's amazing how much better feeling the suits get when they get more expensive. :D

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's amazing how much better feeling the suits get when they get more expensive. :D
No shit...

And, at the end of the day, we are talking about a relatively small amount of money between the perfect suit and a severely compromised variant of it.

I get why people end up going with an $80K boat instead of ours... There is a $50K difference in price, which is enough for another nice boat payment. That is legitimate, and a serious hurdle to overcome. If you want the best though, it is going to cost you.

This is an opportunity to buy the best, and it will only really cost me an extra $1500 or so. Why skimp?

Like I said, not looking for approval. But the feeling you get in a really nice suit is unmatched in cheaper suits.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Wes, what ever it takes to get your game face on and confidence up to get in there and sell the job. While the product alone is capable of selling itself, you're the front man and your presentation and enthusiasm wil help them make their decision.

Here's another thought, since like you, nothing I've purchased ten years ago seems to button up around my waist anymore. I rented a very nice suit from a tux shop in town. They have all the brands your looking for. I've done this four times in the past few years, it costs about 150 or so, but I thought it was money well spent. Check it out bra.........;)

1 - 20 of 157 Posts