Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question I have is plumbing the engine cooling system.

I was wondering if any of you "Masters" of the jets have any tips on revamping the cooling system. I was wondering if I could put in a permanent tap to run my boat on the trailer that would have a ball valve so that i know it is shut when I am on the water. The previous owner had a garden hose set up that had a "wye" on it that fell off on my first trip which cause me to have NO cooling water going through the engine which caused be to burn up the head gaskets so I had the heads done and I putting the engine back together this weekend.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I cant run the motor on the trailer how do I know everything is OK before I go get it wet ? I dont want to run it any longer than to know timing is OK and it will start and stay running. I think 10 mins tops.;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I cant run the motor on the trailer how do I know everything is OK before I go get it wet ? I dont want to run it any longer than to know timing is OK and it will start and stay running. I think 10 mins tops.;)
Disconnect the pump from the engine. Make sure to connect water to the engine and exhaust. Here's how to do it right:
1. Disconnect the pump
2. Disconnect the pipe going out from the pump to the engine and connect it to a garden hose (with a tap inbetween). The tap MUST be closed.
3. Start the engine
4. Open the tap, depending on the water pressure it could be up to half-way. The less you open it, the sooner the engine will heat-up to the good-running temp.

If you open the tap before the engine start, you will flood the block thru the exhaust.

This has been discussed here many many times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a water hose connection to the engine right now for a trailer test that gets closed off for the lake and the pump does the engine cooling then. I was just looking for some "Veterens" tips thats all. Dont want to wreck it, Thanks

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
I have a water hose connection to the engine right now for a trailer test that gets closed off for the lake and the pump does the engine cooling then. I was just looking for some "Veterens" tips thats all. Dont want to wreck it, Thanks
Ok ... here's the deal.

Your impeller and wear ring inside your pump use water to keep them cool and avoid damage. If you run your engine with the pump hooked up and there is no water going through the pump ... the friction will ruin your pump.

As others have said, disconnect your driveline from the pump and hook the water up to the engine thru a garden hose. Make sure that you don't use full house PSI ... this could and will blow out engine gaskets (unless your house has poor hose pressure)

You could stick a second hose up inside the nozzel, turn it on until water is flowing out the suction intake and run it for a short period ... but I don't recommend it for any longer than a couple of minutes.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Disconnect the pump from the engine. Make sure to connect water to the engine and exhaust. Here's how to do it right:
1. Disconnect the pump
2. Disconnect the pipe going out from the pump to the engine and connect it to a garden hose (with a tap inbetween). The tap MUST be closed.
3. Start the engine
4. Open the tap, depending on the water pressure it could be up to half-way. The less you open it, the sooner the engine will heat-up to the good-running temp.

If you open the tap before the engine start, you will flood the block thru the exhaust.

This has been discussed here many many times.
i have heard this flood your engine thing here o few times.
i have never flooded my motor nor have i seen anyone else flood their engine by running a garden hose through the cooling system.
i know everybody dosent have this option, but look and see if you can remove your driveline!
mine unbolts from the flywheel, 2 u-bolts, then i am runnin just motor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I hope to get this thing back together and by next week. I have been invited to New Melonas Lake up north and the family wants to go sooo I have to crack the whip and get it finished. Thanks for all of the tips everyone.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts