Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody explain what the valve on top off some jet pumps is for. I am new to jet boats. I bought a 1978 26' Hawaiian Party Cruiser with a bbc that was not properly winterized(in MN) and cracked the block. It has Berkley 12 JC pump. Want to learn what I can about it. Thank you:)

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
That is a big ass jet. Cool boat. Post some more pictures of it. Long story short a pop off is a valve that lets the pressure by pass the pump prior to the bowl. In a fast boat when you lift off the gas at high speed the pump will continue to load causing the ass end of the boat to lift and the bow to dive. This can cause the driver to lose control. A pop off gives this pressure somewhere to go. I am sure someone will chime in with a better explanation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Popoff valve

Said well I found that a Popoff was needed on my 19 Daytona when I started exceeding the 110 mph mark. Agressive shoe cuts and depths caused the nose to dive during deceleration and loss of control as said. I would never go back without one unless staying under the 100 mph mark. Captain P

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Here are a few more pics.

That is a big ass jet. Cool boat. Post some more pictures of it. Long story short a pop off is a valve that lets the pressure by pass the pump prior to the bowl. In a fast boat when you lift off the gas at high speed the pump will continue to load causing the ass end of the boat to lift and the bow to dive. This can cause the driver to lose control. A pop off gives this pressure somewhere to go. I am sure someone will chime in with a better explanation.
Thanks for the responses. Where is valve mounted? In place of the hand hole cover? Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
That's the 25'. We also had a 28' which was exactly the same but had a built in swim step. It was called the 7 Meter.. This was back when the U.S. was going to switch over to the metric system. We built one a day of either the 25 or 28 every day along with all the other models we had, up to 9 a day at the peak. Both of the big boats were originals, tooled up in house. My friend still has the 25 molds. Lots of them rigged with Panther pumps too and some had dual Berks and dual BBC's.....and big ass gas tanks :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the 25'. We also had a 28' which was exactly the same but had a built in swim step. It was called the 7 Meter.. This was back when the U.S. was going to switch over to the metric system. We built one a day of either the 25 or 28 every day along with all the other models we had, up to 9 a day at the peak. Both of the big boats were originals, tooled up in house. My friend still has the 25 molds. Lots of them rigged with Panther pumps too and some had dual Berks and dual BBC's.....and big ass gas tanks :)
Speaking of gas tanks, it is missing one tank. Know where I could find another? I have an original brochure with it listed as an 8 meter, Queen of the Hawaiian fleet. Brochure has all the different Hawaiian models in it, way cool!

·
Registered
851 Posts
8 meter, I lost a meter somewhere over the last 35 years.

it's easy to have a tank made, chances of finding one might be slim.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Would love to see your brochure. Someone was kind enough to post this one years ago. I didn't keep any of that old stuff.

Pre 25' flyer

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would love to see your brochure. Someone was kind enough to post this one years ago. I didn't keep any of that old stuff.

Pre 25' flyer

I will try to get some pics of brochure up in a couple days.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My parents had the 28 when I was growing up. Yellow with orange and brown graphics with gold metal flake pin striping. Interior was brown. It had a 454 with a Berk. Fairly fast gigantor boat. I believe ours would do 50+mph when the water was right. We took it to Catalina a several times (fishing), but most of our trips were to Nacimiento or Needles. Lots of great memories of that boat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My parents had the 2
8 when I was growing up. Yellow with orange and brown graphics with gold metal flake pin striping. Interior was brown. It had a 454 with a Berk. Fairly fast gigantor boat. I believe ours would do 50+mph when the water was right. We took it to Catalina a several times (fishing), but most of our trips were to Nacimiento or Needles. Lots of great memories of that boat.
I think that is the color scheme of the one in the brochure I have. Looks like original color of mine was a red metal flake, kinda like the old Scorpion super stinger snowmobiles. Previous owner said it did 50 mph too(454, berk). Can't wait to get motor built and get it on the water!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quite possible it is the one from the brochure. My parents saw it at the L.A. Boat show and fell in love with it. I believe they got it from Rio Hondo Marine in Downey. Or they might have got it from Hawaiian directly. I remember we had bought a Ranger Banshee Rio Hondo that had nothing but drama with the engine. Every time they fixed it, we would take it to a small local lake and it ran great, then we'd go to the river and it would run like crap. But that's why they bought the Hawaiian was all the problems with the Banshee.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hawaiian had dealers nation wide, same as Tahiti. Same owner, same crew. Mostly the same crew. The best known dealer was Hunter Boat sales. They advertised heavy on local TV and were the first, to my knowledge, to have 15 year financing for boats which was amazing really.

Rear of the old 28.

25 v-drive which is kinda cool.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quite possible it is the one from the brochure. My parents saw it at the L.A. Boat show and fell in love with it. I believe they got it from Rio Hondo Marine in Downey. Or they might have got it from Hawaiian directly. I remember we had bought a Ranger Banshee Rio Hondo that had nothing but drama with the engine. Every time they fixed it, we would take it to a small local lake and it ran great, then we'd go to the river and it would run like crap. But that's why they bought the Hawaiian was all the problems with the Banshee.
Gonna sart a new thread for Hawaiian Boats Brochure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gonna sart a new thread for Hawaiian Boats Brochure.
Hawaiian had dealers nation wide, same as Tahiti. Same owner, same crew. Mostly the same crew. The best known dealer was Hunter Boat sales. They advertised heavy on local TV and were the first, to my knowledge, to have 15 year financing for boats which was amazing really.

Rear of the old 28.

25 v-drive which is kinda cool.

That thing is sweet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts