Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello out there in boating world. I am new to this, i have just aquired a used jet boat that has a seized engine, I was told that this jet boat is a 1976 charger runabout (ski bass), i believe it has a olds 455 engine. Is it worth it to repair or is the boat not worth anything, it has not been in water for about 5 years. How much money am i going to spend to get this thing back in the water? Is it worth anything as is?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Money spent depends on alot of differnet variables.. What condition the hull is in what condition the jet is in, the eletronics the controls etc etc.

This winter i rebuilt my jet, rebuilt the carbs, replaced the entire eletrical system including gauges and controls (steering wheel and trim controls) and replaced all the carpet. That plus rewiring the trailer and replacing the trailer axle i figure i am in for 3 grand this winter in my partial restoration. the only thing i really did not touch was the gelcoat and the aphulstry. However my engine was already working.

Lots of good guys on here and lots of good experience. You can find just about anything you need to know about a jet on these boards.. So welcome aboard and how about some pictures of the boat?

·
Classic Hotboater!
932 Posts
Hello out there in boating world. I am new to this, i have just aquired a used jet boat that has a seized engine, I was told that this jet boat is a 1976 chapman challenger but i could not find any information on this make or model, I am an auto tech so i have engine experience, i believe it has a olds 460 engine. Is it worth it to repair or is the boat not worth anything, it has not been in water for about 5 years. How much money am i going to spend to get this thing back in the water?
Post up some pics of what you have.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Olds didn't make a 460. Jet boats are expensive to rebuild and expensive to maintain compared to most other common comparibly sized boats.

Pics are worth a thousand words, post them up.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Olds didn't make a 460. Jet boats are expensive to rebuild and expensive to maintain compared to most other common comparibly sized boats.

Jet boats are very easy to maintain in original stock form, this changes when adding hotrod parts to them.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Really? because outdrives are so much less complicated.... At least help the guy a little.

Possibly it is a .030 over 455. In stock form that engine will run great for years. The jet pump will also last a long time in stock form with proper care. (such as avoiding very shallow water and sucking up rocks or debris, running the pump out of water on the trailer)

Good luck and have fun with your new toy. There is lots of info around here on the site.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Hello out there in boating world. I am new to this, i have just aquired a used jet boat that has a seized engine, I was told that this jet boat is a 1976 charger runabout (ski bass), i believe it has a olds 455 engine. Is it worth it to repair or is the boat not worth anything, it has not been in water for about 5 years. How much money am i going to spend to get this thing back in the water? Is it worth anything as is?
What you will spend depends entirely on what you want in the end.

I was GIVEN my now-31-year-old Taylor SS by it's original owner (dad), in 2003 (1978 model).
The 454 ran perfectly,
There were minor electrical issues, eratic gauges & lights
Upholstery was getting very sad
Carpet was a mess, especially spot from a chronic fuel leak (sender under back seat)
top gel was sunburned very badly from exposure
bottom gel was scarred badly from shorelines.

The 454 did need an overhaul tho, bearings worn, nylon-geared single row timing chain had well over an inch of slack in it.

Engine overhaul with cam & intake upgrades cost me $1800, still ruins great today.
Exh. manifolds developed leaks (cracks), Lightning thru-Transom headers cost me $1200 USED.
MSD ignition (marine) cost me nearly $500.
Head porting work (more than just porting) cost me 2-grand.

Engine puts out 2X+ the HP is ever used to, and is turn-key, all year long.

Various other misc. fixes as the engine kept upgrading was maybe a grand total (exhaust outlets, roller rockers, Nitrous setup, etc)

Carpeting cost me about $150 to recarpet everything as original.

New wiring cost me under $100, done by me.

All new instrumentation cost maybe $300 (including senders), except digital GPS Speedo was $450 alone!

New upholstery (original diamond pattern) cost me $2600 total ($2100 labor alone)

etc, etc, etc.

Jet has had a few upgrades too keeping up with engine power, mostly the $700 bronze impeller and the current Place Diverter/Split Bowl upgrade (since I broke Berk "F" nozzle parts last fall).

As you see, you spend what you want to spend, to get what you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts