Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sweet i just brought home my first jet boat. It is the 1972 chriscraft xk-18 i think it was retro fitted with a berkley and a ford 460. it has been sitting for 6 years! 7 years ago it was painted and motor and pump gone through. The carb looked badly oxidized i cleaned it a bit checked plugs they looked ok. spun the motor by hand and then put a bat in and put some gas in the carb a classy rag choke hit the key and it fired so i bought it. :D ill get to work on it tomarrow it needs interior and i think a diverter cable. any input would be great i will try to post pics if i can figure out how.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Cool piece!!! Looks like fun!! Congrats, you should get alot of "thumbs up" with that one!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all im shure i will have a bunch of questions for you all. well when you hook up water to run it could it back up in the exhaust and go in the motor hydrolocking it ? thanks laz

·
" Live Laterally "
4,536 Posts
nice, clean, unique ride. Welcome to PB.:)hand

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
thanks all im shure i will have a bunch of questions for you all. well when you hook up water to run it could it back up in the exhaust and go in the motor hydrolocking it ? thanks laz
Not if it is hooked up right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the boat belong to the father of the guy i got it from so he couldnt tell me much about it. there is no fresh water hookup i need to install one does it go between the jet pump and motor?

·
GOT MILK?
254 Posts
Looks like a sweet little boat!! Congrats!

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
the boat belong to the father of the guy i got it from so he couldnt tell me much about it. there is no fresh water hookup i need to install one does it go between the jet pump and motor?
Super nice boat! On running the boat out of the water not the best idea pump wise! It will not hurt the motor but the pumps don't like it! If there is a way to disconnect the pump from the motor it would be best! And yes to hook up water would be the line from the pump to the motor! WT:)devil

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts
Nice ride ,,,,,,,, Welcome to the insanity:D

Hey Evilforce need help finding something for the avitar:)sphss

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
i totaly agree with wide track you dont really want to run the jet out of the water, no cooling in bowl and no water around the wear ring not so good. when i run mine out of water i take it to work and i have a fire hose holder that sprays watter in to jet. yuo should be ok running water in to engine if you run exaust logs water is exausted after it would have to back up pritty far to hydro lock

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks on my ?. can i run a regular hose spraying in the jet intake. as far as the water to the motor i would geuss that i shoud turn it on after the motor is running? or does it not mater!

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
Nice looking boat!

I used to start the water, walk to the front, fire it up, then shut it down and turn off the hose. Not sure there's a good way to do it cuz whatever you do you are wearing out 'something' in the pump. Any water you can spray into the pump will be a help. I don't even have a hose connector on my boat anymore, I just do all my tuning in the water. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok i think youu all have talked me into water tuning it i just want to hear it run after buying it and its not water ready yet. and no i dont work in crane rental?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts