Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hopefully I find out tomorrow if my car gets totaled or not, they redid the estimate up to $9k now! Shit's barely worth that.... So anyways, I'm replacing with a F-150. I looked at F-250's but I honestly don't need a diesel and they kinda ride like crap. So I found a lifted 2006 crew cab for a pretty good price, might try and pick it up. Only thing is the color, I'm torn. I love having a white vehicle so I was looking for white... but this one is Charcoal, and I have to admit, I think I like it better. Only thing holding me back at all is matching the boat half way decent. So what do you guys think? Get the charcoal or hold out for a white truck?

Truck is very similar to this:

Pulling this:

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I dont think I have ever owned a matching truck/boat combo. Considering the baot is hooked up to the truck a fraction of the time I have never worried about it. and the majority of the time when the boat is seen its in the water and the truck is parked in a dirt lot somewhere ;)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
What size motor? 5.4 or 4.6? Lariat or XLT?

I just picked up my F150 that was a year old with 14K miles. Lariat, leather, crew cab, 20" factory wheels with the 5.4L for 21K. Just so you have a reference.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
I'd go with a White Diesel....JMO.;) I have had gas and diesel and will never own a gas truck again.
x100. With a white truck you can get the vinyl wrap to match the boat. And get a Dodge 2500 Mega Cummins. The diesel will pay for itself long before you trade it.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I'd go with a White Diesel....JMO.;) I have had gas and diesel and will never own a gas truck again.
Until the diesel blows a head gasket , or needs injectors , or an injection pump ...you can completely rebuild a gas engine for the price of those repairs... make sure to take all that into account

·
GO CELTICS
2,083 Posts
I had the same truck same color 05 lifted loved it wish I would have kept it. Mine was a fx4

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
AS a 1/2 ton I can't say enough good things about my crew cab Tundra with the 5.7 and 6 speed tranny. It's the best towing 1/2 I've ever had and decent MPG too. If you don't need a 3/4 it's the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What size motor? 5.4 or 4.6? Lariat or XLT?

I just picked up my F150 that was a year old with 14K miles. Lariat, leather, crew cab, 20" factory wheels with the 5.4L for 21K. Just so you have a reference.
It's a 5.4 with 21k miles, XLT (which is what I want, don't want leather) but it has just about every other option. 4x4 Lifted 6" on 35's, has exhaust, spray in bedliner, etc. Asking 24k, but I'm thinking I can probably get it for 21-22k. I also looked at a white one, about the same for 20k, but it has 65k miles on it. That one might be sold though, gotta see if he still has it.

Diesel is out for me, all of my friends have them and they have issues. I'm helping a friend replace his torque converter in his 7.3 this weekend. Another friend has a 6.0 and the injection pump just went out. Another's 6.0 had all kinds of issues. I had a Navigator back in the day, owned it for 5 years and never had one problem, and it was a 2v motor that towed just fine. I like diesels, but just don't want the problems that come with them. I'm a Ford guy so I'm kind of stuck on getting a Ford. :D

Shit while I was typing this the insurance co just called, totaled that bad boy. Kind of a relief. lol. Now I def need to find something.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just bought an 09 150 XLT 5.4 Crew cab...And have a 00 superduty available. The newer 5.4 runs circles around the old one, but it's 1000 lbs heavier 70 less HP. The 6 speed is solid...

The SD would pull...but it hunts for a happy gear, weird driving in 2nd at 55 mph. The 150 has enough more HP that it just does it. Also, getting 17 around town is nice.

The 00 5.4 has 130K and is still solid...this gives me great confidence in the 09. I don't see a need for a deisel unless you're pulling a Yacht.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It's a 5.4 with 21k miles, XLT (which is what I want, don't want leather) but it has just about every other option. 4x4 Lifted 6" on 35's, has exhaust, spray in bedliner, etc. Asking 24k, but I'm thinking I can probably get it for 21-22k. I also looked at a white one, about the same for 20k, but it has 65k miles on it. That one might be sold though, gotta see if he still has it.

If you are willing to pay $20k for the 65k mile white one, then jump all over the one you posted for $21k if you can get it. A much better deal when compared to the white one.

For me, it doesn't matter what matches. The #1 concern for me is the money. If I am buying it right, then other things like color come second. Exception, colors like purple or pink are not an option. ;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are willing to pay $20k for the 65k mile white one, then jump all over the one you posted for $21k if you can get it. A much better deal when compared to the white one.

For me, it doesn't matter what matches. The #1 concern for me is the money. If I am buying it right, then other things like color come second. Exception, colors like purple or pink are not an option. ;)
Well I was more wanting to spend like 15k, but I'm seeing a lot of stock stuff with 100k miles on it for that range. For a virtually brand new truck that already has the lift and all that, I think it's worth the few extra bucks. Don't really want a high mileage vehicle.

I'm stuck on white/charcoal/black. But black sucks... I towed my boat with a red truck the other day and thought it looked retarded, so that's out for me. lol.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
I'm stuck on white/charcoal/black. But black sucks... I towed my boat with a red truck the other day and thought it looked retarded, so that's out for me. lol.

Dark colors make every system on the vehicle work harder, especially the a/c. Red is almost as hot as blue/black. You might be ok with a black truck in the northern latitudes but I just don't understand why anyone living in the south/southwest would buy that color.

Not only is it hot but you also have the issue of color fade which light-colored vehicles don't have. One of my neighbors has a grey Chevy work truck and his hood has suffered irreversible paint damage because he didn't maintain it by waxing. I bet the top of the truck looks the same way.

·
Registered
694 Posts
AS a 1/2 ton I can't say enough good things about my crew cab Tundra with the 5.7 and 6 speed tranny. It's the best towing 1/2 I've ever had and decent MPG too. If you don't need a 3/4 it's the way to go IMO.
Ditto. I've had the same experiences

·
Huntington Beach Havasu
2,092 Posts
I have a new Chevrolet 4 Door 1/2 ton truck and love it so far. It is quiet and does pretty good on gas. I have the light silver.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Diesels *might* save you a little fuel, but they won't save you $$ - IMO only buy one unless you really need one.

I like the new Silverado 6.0 with cylinder deactivation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts