Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the guy I bought my boat from told me that when 1 saddle tank ran empty ,I had to turn off the one valve & open the other ,witch are on the inside of the transum"don't burn yourself ha ha ":)sphss.The local parts store explained that to do this electronicly would not be easy cause solinoids & gas isn't a good idea.....so my question . 1st why can't I just run the 2 tanks at the same time ,as 1,both valves open?there's only 1 gauge,don't know where the sending unit is or how it can monitor 2 tanks. 2nd if I can't ,how do u other guys control your saddle tanks?
thanks for helpin out a newbee:)devil:)devil

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I run both mine wide open with no problems..mine hasa sender in both tanks with a switch to switch hot wires for the guage.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I run both tanks at the same time also. Never any problems... Both tanks into a water seperating fuel filter with one line out... Works fine.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool! come spring I'll open both valves & not worry about it:D can you tell me the brand & part # of a water seperating filter? thanks again;)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Just my OP I isolate them with manual or electric valving and run the drivers side down (not out) then run on the opposite Although I respect the dual feed idea Its hard to get both tanks to "feed" at the same exact rate

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just my OP I isolate them with manual or electric valving and run the drivers side down (not out) then run on the opposite Although I respect the dual feed idea Its hard to get both tanks to "feed" at the same exact rate
I made sure both lines coming from the tanks to the seperator were the same length. Although probably true, they don't drain at the exact same rate, I've never had an issue with them. Worst case was one tank had about one gallon more than the other after all day cruising around...

Wouldn't hurt to have the valves so you could isolate them if needed... I would run them both open untill I needed to close one... Just to be different...lol

I think my seperator is a Sierra 18-7775-1

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I run both to a "T" also, then one line to a separator.
Like Tom said above though, they don't feed even. One of my tanks is a top outlet, the other is a bottom outlet. I have a petcock on the faster, bottom outlet tank that I "pinch" down to even them out a little.
When I get just a few inches left in that tank I shut it in for reserve!
(Started doing that after running out of gas one day)

·
Registered
288 Posts
just make sure your fuel lines are the same size in length, i have both tanks feeding at the same time works great.

·
Registered
285 Posts
On my boat the side of the boat that has the least weight on it drains faster as it's higher. I really only notice it when I have three people in the boat and the back seat passenger picks a side and stays there.

If I ever run one of the tanks dry the boat will quit as it's easier to try and pull air than it is to pull gasoline.

When that happens I have to flip my selector to the tank that still has fuel and get it to reprime.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i agree with the others as that you can simply "hook" the tanks together, but to give you a choice, imco makes an electric switching valve that is coast guard approved, somewhat pricey, and i believe that rex marine carries them just to give you a choice.

·
Registered
995 Posts
If you plumb both tanks to a tee low[like below drive shaft] then to your water separator, then to fuel pump. They will feed equally as each tank will naturally find it level with the other tank. My friend even pours gas in one tank only when adding 10 gallons and it flows to the other tank!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'll agree that under perfect circumstances , two equal tanks with equal lines equal retrictions (or lack thereof) and equally venting caps or vents will likely drain at the same rate However I prefer to eliminate the uncertainty that in an by an isolating vavle . Several times over the years we have adresseed compliants of "sputtering" , die out and drivability issues that seem to respond to isolating the tanks side to side just my OP

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll agree that under perfect circumstances , two equal tanks with equal lines equal retrictions (or lack thereof) and equally venting caps or vents will likely drain at the same rate However I prefer to eliminate the uncertainty that in an by an isolating vavle . Several times over the years we have adresseed compliants of "sputtering" , die out and drivability issues that seem to respond to isolating the tanks side to side just my OP
I had an issue with fuel starvation trying to pull from both tanks...went to a manual selector and never had to worry about it again...... Height of the tanks, length of the hose and fuel pump probably are all factors I would guess....... I went with the selector like Tom said and eliminated the headache

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
If you plumb both tanks to a tee low[like below drive shaft] then to your water separator, then to fuel pump. They will feed equally as each tank will naturally find it level with the other tank. My friend even pours gas in one tank only when adding 10 gallons and it flows to the other tank!
Yeah, mine will equalize if it sits for a while, but not as fast as it draws fuel.

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
OK, i dont overly aree with any one. If you want to draw from both tanks you need a fuel transfer hose from the bottem of each tank, the hole hose has to stay below the bottem line of the two tanks, try to run good size line. then you can draw from one tank, run one fuel sensor have one fuel pick up and one return line if there is one. there still needs to be a vent in both tanks. if you dont run the fuel transfer hose your never going to know what tank is going to empty first and you could be stuck in the middle of the lake with one full tank of fuel and one empty. i only down fall is filling mite take a little wile, if you dont want to run this way i would suggest a manual valve to select each tank and a switch to select what fuel tank your going to read from, if you dont like that way buy a electric fuel switcher or two fuel shut offs to a t fitting, run a selector switch from the dash running a relay under the dash so when you select a fuel tank it switchs to that sensor for your guage, wire it like the schmatic. any questions messsange me.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
mine are teed together never had a problem, but i carry a set of hose pinch off pliers in the boat with me just in case I ever need to isolate one of them to get home

1 - 20 of 27 Posts