Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Names Logan.

I know this is a forum for performance boats, please read on before you click back.

After nearly 5 years of not being able to get on the water with my father due to his debilitating back pain, he is feeling much better now after getting off all prescription meds. He is having flashes of getting back on the water again. Only one issue. Our local fishing waters are getting a bit dangerous to run on our standard, 14-16' aluminum jon and 20-80hp outboard. Even with a jack plate and tunnel hull it can get sketchy at times. I've been in a 15x48 alumaweld with a 50hp yamaha outboard that has a jet foot. Note: Not a converted 50 with jet that is really like a 35. I mean a jet rated at 50hp. I was not impressed at all.

Which brings me to my question. Where do you guys get these inboard jet drives from?!!!

So far I've found Berkley, Scott, and one more I think. The Scott waterjet 612 looks like it would be perfect for what I want to do, but I cannot find a price anywhere, and finding used inboard jet pumps online is like finding a needle in a hay stack!

Our plan is to mate a proplerly sized jet drive(with reverse preferably) to an aluminum jon boat (14-16ft), using some form of compact engine to power it. Something like an inline 4cyl from a high performance bike, or possibly even a flat 6cyl from a Goldwing, because we want to build a fishing deck over the top of the engine/jet pump area. We wont USUALLY be able to run at even 3/4 throttle, but on the occasion we do get to let it rip there are places where 55-65 mph would be safe, we used to run these rivers in his 17' challenger/suzuki 160 at 70mph no problem. He is less concerned about performance than me, but since it would be my boat and bank account I am. Ive already had one aluminum boat in the low 70's so Im no stranger to speedy boats.

Please advise on how/where/and what kind of pumps to look for.

Boat pic for bench racing sake. It ran 72 fully rigged with me and a buddy.

527260_342128015873980_1293830881_n.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
In your situation I would get a busted up jetski or one without a title that runs and cut out the motor and tunnel and mount them in the jon boat. There are several examples of doing this on the net including youtube.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. We are not opposed to going the waverunner/hybrid route as long as I can find good donors with a real pump and not a half fiberglass half pump crazy rig.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Were currently pulling a running/operational and very complete Mercury marine V6 its Mercury Sportjet and all related parts from an aluminum boat as we are installing a fuel injected 5.7 and new mixed flow jet might be just the ticket for your project , This jet and engine take up about a 2 foot square "foot print" at the transom

20150814_113116.jpg 20150814_113228.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damnit man. You are correct that would be perfect for what we want to do if the price was right and we were closer. Im sure shipping to Louisiana would be a beast!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. It does not say I have any PM's, but it also says that I haven't sent any either. I thought I sent one to you Jet...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts