Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. Brand new to forum and new to these types of boats. Always been a gear head and have been looking for a unique project. Ran across a craigslist add for the boat below. Can anyone help me identify this boat? I learned the engine has been removed and is not included, but he is currently asking $500 for the hull and trailer, and I likely could get it for a little less. I am not scared of a project, but am I crazy? Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
First off Welcome to the Sight, crazy helps. In looking over the pictures, (that are great for identification) I have no clue, not a Sanger or Stevens.
I do notice the apparent split line is not in the traditional place. I looked a a 3 piece mold of a similar boat many years ago. The bottom half of the mold was split down the center and the top was a one piece mold. If you can see where the split line is, and confirm, we may be a little closer. The mold I saw was in a style the sail boat manufacturers were using years ago, many years ago.
I doctored your pictures to show where it looks to be the split line.
PS, The trailer alone is worth twice the asking price.
SO, form one crazy to another take a look and see if mine eyes are seeing a line or just some dirt.
Good Hunting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The cavitation plate is quite unique. I have seen all types of levers and shafts. This one appears to have some type of a cam inside each of the bosses allowing the plate to move. If you get a chance, a couple of close ups may explain the mechanism.
Thanks and Enjoy .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the feedback Skidder. I have not seen the boat in person yet, but hope to go look at it tomorrow. I don’t see any major signs of rot so hopeful that’s still the case upon further inspection.

Is there a typical location that a hull builder might place a plaque on a hull like this? I would typically expect to see it near the transom or near the controls.

If no major rotting, I may just roll the dice for a few hundred bucks. Hope to report back tomorrow!

·
Registered
236 Posts
If it is a post 72 and up it will have a hull ID. first try the upper passenger side transom outside. I have seen some in the middle top of the transom.
Good searching. With the v-drive and some of the hardware, maybe even a prop , your well ahead of most rebuilds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the boat followed my home last night. Ended up going after dinner with a buddy to check it out. The seller didnt know much about it, he was an older gentleman who was into drag cars, and took the boat on trade he said a few years back. I got the boat bought for $350. Aired up the trailer tires, strapped some temp lights on it, and headed home. Got back after dark, but was able to grab a few pics this morning before heading to work. Searched for HID but still not able to locate. Hoping to have some time this week to start doing some cleaning and power washing so hopefully it will show up. Check out the trailer wheels with the Shelby caps, neat. If I recall, the boat was last registered in Utah in 1979. The trailer has a Utah assembled ID plate on it. Trailer side steps are fiberglass, although I originally expected them to be some sort of aluminum or stainless.

My plan is to hopefully ID the hull, clean it up, and evaluate the true condition of the boat, then pencil out a plan for what I really want. The previous owner still had the BBC engine that he took out of it, but it was in very rough shape so I wasnt too bummed he wasnt including it in the sale. My initial thoughts are going back with a BBC, NA for the time being. The real decision I need to make is if I want to try and keep the boat period correct, or if I want to go with a resto mod style with a later model EFI system.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback provided so far, and would welcome any additional advice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congratulations', one great deal. Glad to see the motor plates and the other hardware. Weather to go old school or a resto mod style with a later model EFI system. Too many variables for anyone besides you to decide. Budget, abilities, available time etc.. Enjoy the build, keep us posted with some pictures from time to time,

Enjoy, Skidder

·
Village Idiot
3,533 Posts
I would say Hallett or Aquacraft. Both had raised decks like that. The shape of the transom is similar to both. Nice grab. Now let’s home the hull is sound. If it is then build it and have fun.

Paul

·
Registered
533 Posts
So the boat followed my home last night. Ended up going after dinner with a buddy to check it out. The seller didnt know much about it, he was an older gentleman who was into drag cars, and took the boat on trade he said a few years back. I got the boat bought for $350. Aired up the trailer tires, strapped some temp lights on it, and headed home. Got back after dark, but was able to grab a few pics this morning before heading to work. Searched for HID but still not able to locate. Hoping to have some time this week to start doing some cleaning and power washing so hopefully it will show up. Check out the trailer wheels with the Shelby caps, neat. If I recall, the boat was last registered in Utah in 1979. The trailer has a Utah assembled ID plate on it. Trailer side steps are fiberglass, although I originally expected them to be some sort of aluminum or stainless.

My plan is to hopefully ID the hull, clean it up, and evaluate the true condition of the boat, then pencil out a plan for what I really want. The previous owner still had the BBC engine that he took out of it, but it was in very rough shape so I wasnt too bummed he wasnt including it in the sale. My initial thoughts are going back with a BBC, NA for the time being. The real decision I need to make is if I want to try and keep the boat period correct, or if I want to go with a resto mod style with a later model EFI system.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback provided so far, and would welcome any additional advice. View attachment 1043768 View attachment 1043769 View attachment 1043770 View attachment 1043771 View attachment 1043772 View attachment 1043773 View attachment 1043774 View attachment 1043776 View attachment 1043777 View attachment 1043778
First off Welcome to the Sight, crazy helps. In looking over the pictures, (that are great for identification) I have no clue, not a Sanger or Stevens.
I do notice the apparent split line is not in the traditional place. I looked a a 3 piece mold of a similar boat many years ago. The bottom half of the mold was split down the center and the top was a one piece mold. If you can see where the split line is, and confirm, we may be a little closer. The mold I saw was in a style the sail boat manufacturers were using years ago, many years ago.
I doctored your pictures to show where it looks to be the split line.
PS, The trailer alone is worth twice the asking price.
SO, form one crazy to another take a look and see if mine eyes are seeing a line or just some dirt.
Good Hunting.
View attachment 1043763
View attachment 1043764

·
Registered
533 Posts
The boat is a 1968-72 18' Hallett - I've owned and still have a 1966 Hallett Flat (a yellow one as a matter of fact) that was a good deal !!! Best of luck. If you would like to double your money give me a shout !!

Chicken Pie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you to everyone who took the time to review and provide feedback. I also posted my question in a FB group and have had multiple people say my hull is a Hallett as well.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the v-drive section of the forum as I plan to try and keep everyone updated and i am sure ask tons of more questions. A shot in the dark, but my goal is to have the boat done for Memorial Day 2023.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts