Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a jet boat. A few of my buddies have me convinced a tunnel hull is the way to go. I have been told that tunnel hulls are made to go straight and that they do not turn well. I do not want a drag/race boat. I want cool, fun, semi fast nice looking river boat. Could a tunnel hull pickle fork style boat fit that.

Your info is appreciated.

Thank you in advance

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
What kind of water would you be boating in? There are alot of different hulls out there that could suit your needs, tunnels included. A picklefork tunnel is one of the best looking boats in my opinion. Depending on how much $ you want to spend you could get a nice v-hull or maybe a gullwing for a decent price. Most of your tunnel boats tend to be more expensive from what I've seen. How much power do you want to have? A 400-450hp big block on pump gas would probably be all you'd want if you're not wanting to go fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I go to several spots along the river. South of Parker, the Parker strip, camp moabi. As far as power I don't want anything to radical. I want to run pump gas, nothing blown. I love the way the pickle fork style boats look. I am really interested in the handling of them and how it differs from a standard closed bow semi v bottom.

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
Well, a tunnel will give you the best ride. No doubt. I have a gullwing that handles just fine for me. If available, you should probably get into a couple different boats and go for a ride, see how you like each one. Best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well I go to several spots along the river. South of Parker, the Parker strip, camp moabi. As far as power I don't want anything to radical. I want to run pump gas, nothing blown. I love the way the pickle fork style boats look. I am really interested in the handling of them and how it differs from a standard closed bow semi v bottom.
Eliminator Daytona, or a gullwing!! They are all good boats, just depends on what you boat in, speed, or if you are just about the looks!!:)hand

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
its possible to have the best of both worlds IMO! go Tunnel for shur! 90+ in a 4 seat tunnel? fully do-able!
TRG

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I want a jet boat. A few of my buddies have me convinced a tunnel hull is the way to go. I have been told that tunnel hulls are made to go straight and that they do not turn well. I do not want a drag/race boat. I want cool, fun, semi fast nice looking river boat. Could a tunnel hull pickle fork style boat fit that.

Thank you in advance
Going to my daytona was the best move I ever made...love the ride...love the sensation when she starts packin air. Steering/turning is definatly a little different than a jet boat....takes some gettin used to.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Steering/turning is definatly a little different than a jet boat....takes some gettin used to.
Can you elaborate on this statement? I dont know of any local daytonas, cant just go for a ride to fin out. I have been interested in a daytona style hull for a while...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Tunnels do run smoother in chopy water and will be faster then a semi-v bottom most of the time but from what it sounds like, a nice Taylor SS style v-bottom boat would do great and for a newer boater it will be alot safer to learn in. You can get into a nice non-tunnel jetboat for alot less money and they are alot better for towing people on ski's, knee board's, tubes ect. I've been running tunnel boats for along time now but there are times i wish i still had a nice little $5000 v-bottom just for having fun in, and pulling people around the lake all day. :)

·
"BEER BUDGET RACING"
3,621 Posts
Can you elaborate on this statement? I dont know of any local daytonas, cant just go for a ride to fin out. I have been interested in a daytona style hull for a while...
They turn flat when on plane. I get the sensation of drifting when turning with a little speed. I have a nordic with a flat keel. Can't speak for others since this is my first tunnel.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Thank you in advance
If you have to have a jet in anything but smooth water, a 21 Daytona style hull is a great all round jet boat. They do not turn as easy at speed but they will trun just fine. On another note if you loose power the boat will for the most part just go straight. At lower speeds loosing a skier it will trun pretty good and better with a diverter. Turning at any speed will teach you to be ONE with the diverter. V hulls are a goood time cutting and turning but the overall advantage of a 21 Daytona on a rough lake is huge. After owning several V hull jets and a 100 mph tunnel, go with the tunnel.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Not sure what i was smokin when i said different than a jet boat.lol Meant to say different than a v hull.:)sphss It was already said they turn flat. Its just different...maybe I will edit in a vid where I make a fairly sharp turn at 40 or so.... its just different...:)grn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ide2NKGXa-c

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
If you want a tunnel, go for it
It will do anything you want to do
I've skied, knee boarded, tubed and even air chaired behind a 19 and 21
Daytona
Don't let anybody tell you they won't turn. They will turn so hard and flat you can lose your passengers.
They can be more fuel efficient
Because of less hull drag

As with any boat but especially a tunnel, take you time learning how
It handles and don't just flat foot it first time out

I can't believe how much time I wasted on other boats, when I wanted a tunnel all along

My best friend has had a 4 seat 19 Daytona since The 80's and we have spent countless hours with it on the lake
Granted it has less storage than a v hull but the benefits out weigh the
Loss of storage. If you need more room buy a 21

Somebody already posted once you go tunnel you won't go back
How true this statement is

Sent from my iPhone

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
its possible to have the best of both worlds IMO! go Tunnel for shur! 90+ in a 4 seat tunnel? fully do-able!
TRG
Todd, for all of us that are stuck in the v-hull world and envious.........shut up. Dont need you rubb'n it in.................

;):D

·
Registered
939 Posts
tunnel

Love my 21' Daytona. jet. In the Delta, it just takes some work to make all the twists, and turns. Trim down and it will bow steer like no tomorrow. It will spinout, and it like dirt tracking. Way fun. Running with the v hulls, I just get a better workout.

Jerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts