Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is Nick i live in iowa near the Des Moines riv. I've been thinking pretty serious about buying a jet boat but have a few questions first. I grew up with jon boats and prop driven lake boats but have never owned or seen a jets boat up close in person

One of my concerns is if i decide to take it out on the river is sucking up debris through the intake. 2nd is i mainly want something to take to summer splash on Rathbun lake. My concern there is it can get pretty rough out there. How well will a jet boat handle rough wake. Either driving through it or just floating (water coming over the side)

Now i dnt know much about brands of these boats so i was hoping for some pointers on what i should get for what i need

I need the boat to sit 4 people and have enough room for a cooler or two

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks Wicky

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Hey guys my name is Nick i live in iowa near the Des Moines riv. I've been thinking pretty serious about buying a jet boat but have a few questions first. I grew up with jon boats and prop driven lake boats but have never owned or seen a jets boat up close in person

One of my concerns is if i decide to take it out on the river is sucking up debris through the intake. 2nd is i mainly want something to take to summer splash on Rathbun lake. My concern there is it can get pretty rough out there. How well will a jet boat handle rough wake. Either driving through it or just floating (water coming over the side)

Now i dnt know much about brands of these boats so i was hoping for some pointers on what i should get for what i need

I need the boat to sit 4 people and have enough room for a cooler or two

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks Wicky
Get to know your place of boating....Should help to ask others for areas of concern. Consider a deeper hull and a good bilge pump for the rough water. Also leave the standard grate on for least amount of debris...

·
Registered
354 Posts
gets pretty rough at our local lake too, My boat handels the chop OK but its alot more fun on smooth water. Mine sits low in the water and I do have Two bilge pumps in it, One automatic and one switched and I haven't had a problem yet. I dont worry to much about ingesting stuff into the pump, our lake is pretty clean. here is some pics

Attachments

·
Just Me
4,066 Posts
Jet boats are like any other boat. You have to find the right hull/engine combination to get the boat to do what you want. It sounds like you are looking for a family boat that will occasionally go fast. This would be more of a day cruiser style boat (19 to 21 foot range). I'm not familiar with the DesMoines over by Centerville, but I presume it can be very low in places. A jet up on plane can run in less than a foot of water. Now is that advisable? Not really, but it can be done. The nice thing about a jet is if you do hit a sandbar, the damage is usually minimal if any. The cost of pride and ridicule is not included in that damage statement.

The first question I have is how fast of a boat are you looking to get? Do you want one that is fast from the word go, or would one that you could make faster over time work? What kind of a budget are you working with? There are not a lot of performance boats in the MidWest so don't forget to factor in the shipping cost if you find one you want. I have a 21 foot day cruiser that is old and stock. It runs an honest 50mph and can do all of the above. I use it out on the Mississippi so yes it can handle some chop. With some work I hope to bring the max speed up to 75ish and be happy with that. I personally feel that to get over that speed you have to start trading other things off.

Let me know if you are going to be down in this corner sometime and we'll take the cruiser out so you can get an ideal what I'm referring to.
Glenn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snoc. You've basically nailed it on the head on what i need. Im used to running jon boats at a top doped of 35 so if i can get a jet that runs 50 I'll be happy. What brand do u have. Do u have any pics. I would like to see one up close. And noticed that ur only 2 1/2 hrs away maybe we could get together sometime?

·
Just Me
4,066 Posts
Mine is a 21' Riviera day cruiser. It has seats for 6 and enough room under the bow to store a lot of extra stuff. Let me know if you want to come for spin. I'm on leave this week and hope to be out on the river tomorrow and Saturday for sure. Friday and Sunday, I'm leaving open in case I get ambicious and decide to do some work. Personally for what you're wanting a 19 to a 21 footer would be ideal and they can be found from basic to tricked out. I think for the river you are playing on a jet is the best answer.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
V drive???

Jets, JETS!!!??.....Hey Glenn, how's RCL doing on your V drive? Or is that the "work" you're talking about.... How's it feel to be out of the desert?.... I'll bet that ol' Mississippi smells pretty good about now... That's one thing I look forward to when I go back to Bullhead, the smell of the river at night...The 85+ temps at night, not so much, but the smell, yeah....
Ray

·
Just Me
4,066 Posts
Jets, JETS!!!??.....Hey Glenn, how's RCL doing on your V drive? Or is that the "work" you're talking about.... How's it feel to be out of the desert?.... I'll bet that ol' Mississippi smells pretty good about now... That's one thing I look forward to when I go back to Bullhead, the smell of the river at night...The 85+ temps at night, not so much, but the smell, yeah....
Ray
Well two V-drives being worked on/painted and neither ready to haul home to put back together. The third V drive is in my shop and I'm slowly getting it ready to go. Still don't have a SBC for it, but I'll keep working on it until it comes together. At least the cruiser runs and does just fine on the river. And I don't have to wait till evening to play. But it will be good to get the V-drives going too. And yes there is no mistaking the smell of the river. I don't remember as many of those danged jumping carp but the river is still fun. And now that the boat is officially registered, I don't have to hide from the popo any more. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Snoc653 i'll only be bout an hr away saturday night for a wedding at Rathbun. If u were serious and dnt mind i could come down sunday morning. Check out ur boat if it works for u. I can pm u my number or send me urs?

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Wicky87, please tell me your not related to the regular "Wicky" on the boards, are you??:happy::happy::happy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL Not that im aware of. I was pretty surprised when i registered and it was already in use. Maybe i'll have to meet him.:happy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts