Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any word on Scott's, (DHL funny car), condition?........Bad wreck, explosion and into the net. ESPN2 broke in with the news of the wreck and said "it was very bad".........Not good news..........Very somber reporting, kinda like they know something they're not saying..........Ray

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Havent heard anything. Hope he is ok.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back on @4PM PDT

Well, hope for the best, we'll know in a few minutes.........Some thoughts and prayers couldn't hurt............Ray

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worst news.........

The associated press is reporting that Scott has died as a result of the crash. No NHRA conformation yet, but it seems to be the worst news possible........RIP Scott..............MP

·
Registered
202 Posts
Witnesses said the driver, Scott Kalitta, was speeding at an estimated 300 mph during the National Hot Rod Association Super Nationals when the engine of his Toyota Solara exploded in a ball of flames.

"The driver was killed after he lost control of his vehicle," said Sgt. Julian Castellanos, a spokesman for the State Police.

He declined to confirm that Kalitta was the victim, saying his family had not yet been notified.

Lynette Davis, a spokeswoman for Raritan Bay Medical Center in Old Bridge confirmed that Kalitta was brought to the hospital at 4:56 p.m., but she would not release further details pending the notification of family members.

Spectators at the track watched as Kalitta's car exploded, hit a sand trap, then vaulted over a protective catch fence. A slow-moving ambulance took the driver away.

Kalitta, 46, of Palmetto, Fla., was a two-time Top Fuel champion (1994-95) had 18 career victories, 17 of them in the Top Fuel class.

His father, Connie Kalitta, the legendary driver/team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," was his co-crew chief, along with Glenn Mikres. Kalitta's cousin, Doug Kalitta, compete sin the Top Fuel class.

Castellanos said that the event was being taped for ESPN, and police will review the tapes to determine what caused the accident

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
RIP Scott :(

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
OMG RIP Scott

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Prayers go out to the entire Kalitta family and operation. They run one of the tightest ships in the entire racing world and mostly out of their own pockets. Scott was a true champion (world champion twice) and he left us doing what he loved best, knowing the risks all too well.
RIP Scott! Thanks for all the great memories!

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts

·
Pug Wrangler
102 Posts
I was watching the early session before this happened, and was stunned at how short the shutdown area is at E-Town and that it appears to actually slope downhill. Hopefully NHRA will use this incident as reason to take a look at all the shutdown areas and come up with a formula for the proper minimum length. At the least, a Fuel car should be able to stop safely without the chutes.

RIP Scott. I think Jerry Toliver summed it up perfectly when he said "the pain and sorrow is for those left behind. Scott went out doing what he wanted to be doing and we should celebrate that." I also feel bad for Connie because no Father should have to bury his son. The family has given so much to the sport it seems unfair, but I guess that's racing...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
They just played the video, not pretty. It looks like he lost the body in flames at the traps, then continued at high speed, maybe 200+ mph and struck the side wall at the sand. It erupted into a huge fireball and explosion. No matter what the shutdown area was, I doubt he would had survived. The worst crash I have ever seen, and massive explosion.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts