Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kicking the idea of adding the "Juice" to my motor. This is my first blower motor and my first nitrious motor{if I do it}. I have a few questions if anyone can help with a little info I would greatly appreciate it:)

The motor is the following............
454 mag marine motor std bore
steel crank,7/16 rods and foged slugs
088 rec port heads,factory roller cam,weiand 177 blower(5lbs of boost @ 5500 rpm's), timing is set @ 32 degrees with dist locked out
msd 6al,msd pro billet dist,msd coil,ngk cold plugs,bassett dry headers
holley 800dp thats running very rich 90's square jetted with pv's blocked.
aeromotive fuel pump(good one), holley pressure regulator,-10 fuel hose from tanks to regulator.

Can I run 1 fuel pump or do I have to run a second pump on a 150 shot? How much timing is recommended? I heard that you want to pull 2-3 degrees for every 75hp. Should I use different plugs? I want to set up something very simple and effective. I have a nitrous kit that is dying to be installed.

Any info is appreciated. If you need more info please just let me know and I will post it:)

Thansk Spitter

·
Manwhore!!!!!
369 Posts
Sounds like fun. Probably should run a dedicated fuel system for the squeeze. Should work nice as a intercooler that blower has to spin pretty hard to get any boost out of it.:D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts

Check out Shoemakers section, someone asked the same question sometime ago and received a few responses.

A stand-a-lone fuel pump is always a good idea,but for a 150 shot not necessary (250+ really needed) If your fuel pump is putting out 140 GPH or so at 14-15 psi and then to a reg for the carb and a separate one for the nitrous it will be fine ( Have you ever looked at the opening in a 150 shot nitrous fuel pill ? ) I should ask are you running -6 or -8 fuel lines? I calc'ed it out some yrs ago(don't remember the #'s) but -8 fuel lines with the same pump will flow something like 30% more fuel than the same set-up with -6 fuel lines) :)bulb

2* retard for every 50 hp/ but that is not on top of 5 psi of boost, so you could take 3-4* out for every 50 for a "safe" starting point.

Use two step colder plugs.

If you really want to use it as an inter-cooler run it like I run my system with Methanol. It's a built in intercooler. Just find room for a 1 gallon fuel tank. :)bulb

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hey 396....
how's it goin'?...are u gonna run a plate under the carb system or a direct port into the runners system?...i would think since u aren't useing the NOS all the time that u would be fine just the way u r...there are a few people up here running similar set-ups as urs (454's, good heads, headers etc) in cars & trks & haveing a blast!...nitrous is very forgiving, if everythings rite! :)...i say go for it :)

??? for ya...why the 90's square? & are both pv's blocked off?...how does it idle?...are u running 50cc pumps?

were u not building a monster motor awhile back? or is this another boat?

Ron (FastRat)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I run a dedicated system. No back seat so I installed a 3 gal tank and Holley Blue I had. It is a 200 shot. I realize it is not a blower motor, but I thought I would show a way to set it up. Basics concept would be the same.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
they run gooooooooood mike. we put nitrous on my uncle's blown 540 , 225-400hp dual dom plates, works tits;) hits like a phuckin sledge hammer:)grn
we set his up like i do all nitrous systems, seperate regulator/fuel pump/fuel filter/fuel tank.

go for it mike:)devil it'll hit hardddd brother:)grn:)grn:)grn

·
21' Daytona
395 Posts
I'm planning on doing the same thing Mike. What I've found out is a 125 shot is about all you'll need. I was thinking about running a fogger with a seperate enrichment tank (1 gln) that will be filled with C16. Thinking about only pulling 2-3 degress out, but will see what happens. You'll want to put the laughing gas in after the supercharger for maximum cooling benefits. A Holley Black elec pump will do the trick. A low fuel pressure cut out is always a good idea too.

P.S. I running a B/S intercooler, 9lbs. of boost right now on pump 92.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
I'm planning on doing the same thing Mike. What I've found out is a 125 shot is about all you'll need. I was thinking about running a fogger with a seperate enrichment tank (1 gln) that will be filled with C16. Thinking about only pulling 2-3 degress out, but will see what happens. You'll want to put the laughing gas in after the supercharger for maximum cooling benefits. A Holley Black elec pump will do the trick. A low fuel pressure cut out is always a good idea too.

P.S. I running a B/S intercooler, 9lbs. of boost right now on pump 92.
Droppy, I'm draggin this up to the top cuz you GOTTA do this! Darin and BLT will be bitchslapped by your boat with this setup

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Why not apply the cost of the whole nitrous system and the time payment plan that goes with it (refilling bottles after 60 seconds use) ,
to a bigger blower that will do the whole job ?
Then at least there will be some residual value.

·
21' Daytona
395 Posts
Why not apply the cost of the whole nitrous system and the time payment plan that goes with it (refilling bottles after 60 seconds use) ,
to a bigger blower that will do the whole job ?
Then at least there will be some residual value.
I agree with your thinking but, I also want the looks of nitrous along with the huffer. Kinda improves both worlds. I know I know, looks are for posers, so be it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hold on - hold on -- i just came in from the garage after stuffing 300's in the first stage.... are you saying that I will need to put the 400's in now to keep up with Droppy? :D:D:D:D

D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I agree with your thinking but, I also want the looks of nitrous along with the huffer. Kinda improves both worlds. I know I know, looks are for posers, so be it.
But what about the time payment plan ? ......:D
Doesn't improve the looks at all but could add up to $400. / mo.

·
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn fellas. I totally forgot about this thread. I have been busy with other things so I havent really had a chance to play with my boat.

Now its playtime so I am ready to make some changes;)

·
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A stand-a-lone fuel pump is always a good idea,but for a 150 shot not necessary (250+ really needed) If your fuel pump is putting out 140 GPH or so at 14-15 psi and then to a reg for the carb and a separate one for the nitrous it will be fine ( Have you ever looked at the opening in a 150 shot nitrous fuel pill ? ) I should ask are you running -6 or -8 fuel lines? I calc'ed it out some yrs ago(don't remember the #'s) but -8 fuel lines with the same pump will flow something like 30% more fuel than the same set-up with -6 fuel lines)

I have #10 lines to the punp and #8 to the regulator then #6 to the carb. The pump in an Aeromotive

"Street/Strip Fuel Pumps
For carbureted engines making 200 to 750 HP with standard regulators or up to 1000 HP with dynamic bypass-style regulators. Ideal when more line pressure, flow volume, and reliability are desired. Flows 140+ gph at 13.5 volts and is alcohol compatible"

I was also thinking about only running 75hp or 100hp shot of juice. I dont want to get too crazy with it.

·
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2* retard for every 50 hp/ but that is not on top of 5 psi of boost, so you could take 3-4* out for every 50 for a "safe" starting point.

Use two step colder plugs.

If you really want to use it as an inter-cooler run it like I run my system with Methanol. It's a built in intercooler. Just find room for a 1 gallon fuel tank. :)bulb

Sleeper CP :D

Ok so if I say run 100hp. Ill need to take out 8 degrees of timing. Then run 2 steps colder on the plugs. Thats pretty simple. My motor likes 35 degrees of timing with av gas and 37 degrees with vp110. Sounds crazy but thats no lie;)

Now tell me about the Methanol. You seem to peak my interest about the Meth:D How long will the 1 gallon last? What about water/methanol mix?:)bulb How much power will be added if you run the mthanol?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts