Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
When ordering the pistons you can have them set the ring lands lower. It helps from transfering heat to the rings.

S CP :D

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
yellow bullet is a little more advanced ... I'm thinking that Shaun might want to start in the nitrous forum first.

yellow bullet guys might rip him a new one with a bunch of new nitrous questions, it's serious over there.
that's what i was thinking, last nite i was gonna link him but decided against it for that reason:D

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
yellow bullet is a little more advanced ... I'm thinking that Shaun might want to start in the nitrous forum first.

yellow bullet guys might rip him a new one with a bunch of new nitrous questions, it's serious over there.
Your mean something like " Son, when you pull the training wheels off come back to see us" :p

Sleeper CP :D

· Registered
4,674 Posts
shaun in all fariness to everyone.a 200shot is not vodoo.

just check the normal things that you already now and give her hell.

when you start talking big #S then ask for knowledgeable help from guys that spray big.

i have a friend that sprays 600 all the time on his car.holy shit what 600 does,lol!!!!!!

if you are thinking about it go for it.youll love it:)grn

· Registered
3,840 Posts

Good people over there though!!! I've actually had a couple people from there call me about my little sissy la la shot on the Pontiac and had a good talk.. I wouldn't be afraid to post over there... Now the trash or be trashed forum, that's a WHOLE nother story!!!!

· Sushi Inspector
2,311 Posts
When building a nitrous motor, say somthing thats going to see around 200 shot. What things do you have to take into account. I know when i cut my piston rings that you needed to open them up more for NOS. But what else should be done?

Make sure you get your bottle filled from the medical supply store so that when the motor grenades, you have a lil sumptin sumptin for yourself to kill the pain!!

· I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was just hoping to get some info out of the guys here sprayin... There seam to be quiet a few of them. I'm not looking to spray anytime soon, thas probably well down the road with a different hull, who knows different motor. I was just curious as to what else might need to be done on a 200 shot system besides opening the rings up alittle more.

· Registered
4,674 Posts
Was just hoping to get some info out of the guys here sprayin... There seam to be quiet a few of them. I'm not looking to spray anytime soon, thas probably well down the road with a different hull, who knows different motor. I was just curious as to what else might need to be done on a 200 shot system besides opening the rings up alittle more.

well shaun compression plays a role.
your compression will tell you what needs to be done for fuel and timing demands.

other than that with 200 shot stock bottom end and rods can handle it.

okay say you have good stuff anyway.thats even better.

the biggest thing i have is make sure your fuel demands are up to par.
play with timing.not by moving the dist.:)handbuy a retard box or a msd box with step retard function built in it.

what kind of kit?they all say different fuel pressures and jets.remember these are just out of the box tune-ups.you can play with fuel and nos jets to best suite the demands,and best results you are after.

read your plugs they will tell you what just went on after the nos pass.

other than that shaun it will be hard to hurt a good built mill with a 200shot regardless of what you might hear;).

hell i have sprayed 200 many times with hyp.cast pistons and stock bottom end and never ever once did it act stupid or try to blow up.

just pay attention,once you get it set,then have alot of FUN!!!!!!.

it really is that simple.travis:D

· I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hotbo, thanks for the reply. My bottom end consists of a Scat Forged crank, Forged H-Beam Rods w/ L19 bolts (site claims they'll support 1500 HP), and forged coated mahle pistons. I cut the rings to the specs that they had in the instructions for 200 shot. My plan with this motor was to possibly run a NOS system on it one day. I was just curious as to when building a motor what other things should be taken into account, things that once a motor is assembled would be difficult/time consuming to change.

· Registered
4,674 Posts
hotbo, thanks for the reply. My bottom end consists of a Scat Forged crank, Forged H-Beam Rods w/ L19 bolts (site claims they'll support 1500 HP), and forged coated mahle pistons. I cut the rings to the specs that they had in the instructions for 200 shot. My plan with this motor was to possibly run a NOS system on it one day. I was just curious as to when building a motor what other things should be taken into account, things that once a motor is assembled would be difficult/time consuming to change.
well shaun you have nothing to worry about.

as far as a already built mill.if the ring gaps were not opened up for nos and you planned on spraying,its 50-50 chance you might be okay?

rings would likely butt up if you stayed on the button for extended periods.

other than that make sure your valve train can handle the additional rpms.

if you have hyd liftes thats something else to consider.higher rpm will pump them up.

last month at scotts marine a guy came in with a 555 scott shaffrof (sorry for the mis-spelling)motor hyd roller cammed wanted to spray 250 on it.he was already turning the impeller 6300 rpm,which in my book is pushing hyd.lifters on extened runs.

so he impellerd the boat so off the spray it would turn less and with the shot he turned it no more than what he was turning before or close to it.

on the spray he ended up turning 6350 and off was around 5400 rpm if i rememeber correctly.so the guy was happy.

maybe not the best thing to tune for but it works without tearing his mill apart and hes happy.boat runs around 110 this way.

· Registered
4,674 Posts
My engines a solid roller deal. It made peak HP at 5800. When i talked with straub about the engine we figured 5800 off the bottle and 6200-6300 on.

150 will generally net you 500rpm maybe a slight bit more
200 100-150 more rpm depending on tune.

hope this helps.no expert but i have learned that nos is not just fun as hell,but can be very safe if you pay attention.good luck:)hand

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.