Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a mother bottle and am filling my own now. Kept bottles in freezer and filled them while still in freezer. What is safe fill? I put 13lbs in a 10lb bottle and 18 in my 15lb.

I saw one blow the relief valve last year at Broken Bow after being left in sunlight for a couple hours.

I realize I may have to purge (waste) some to drop pressure once in boat and at normal temperature.

At what pressure do the solenoids not open? I did have that problem last year when I was about to run ******* at the Dig 2, but didn't check pressure.

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Oooooo Shit!!!!!!! Your gonna fuck something up. Atleast take some pics when it goes through a wall :cool:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I used to fill bottles at our shop and at the racetrack. Never over fill your bottle , it doesn't give any performance advantage. It does tho blow the safety valve more often. Freezing the bottle is good practice if you don't have a pump from the mother bottle. Freezing is easy way to overfill so be carefull. I used to fill with 10-10.5 n2o, any more and just a waste.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts
Don't let the bottles set in the sun. Don't ask how I know.........................

Don't over-fill the bottles.. when the relief valve goes all the Nos leaves the bottle.

One year we lost 3 bottles at the river while locked up in the van( we too thought it was a good idea to put 12#s in a 10 lbs bottle) . We got off the water and the neighbor said " I don't know what happened but all hell broke loose in your van today"

Just in-case you don't know what to do after reading this...just keep this in mind : It's called a 10 lbs bottle for a reason.

S CP :shock:

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Please put a Go Pro on it Mailman so we can see what happens :eek: or as Jon put it " All Hell gonna Break Loose" :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Look at the markings on the bottle. You will find the DOT stamp and then a pressure rating. Most of the bottles I used to use were Catalina bottles (Nitrous Express) and are marked 3AL3300 - 3300psi rating. Living in Vegas, I would see 160* temps in the car in the summer. A full 10# bottle, would be 1000psi or so in the morning, and over 2000psi in the afternoon sun in the car. The burst disks are set to blow at 3000psi. As the bottle heats and the liquid turns to gas, the pressure rises exponentially.

I have seen pictures on the web where a guy accidentally put two burst disks in one bottle and it blew the back of the car up pretty much...but that's one case of one idiot.

I would recommend that you not overfill any bottles for the fear of having one blow off and losing all the nitrous. That stuff ain't cheap. Just fill the bottle on a scale and stop at 10# or whatever the weight of the gas in the bottle is supposed to be.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back em down...

Thanks guys! I'm gonna let a lil pressure off them while they are still relatively cool. I've not blown the valve before but don't want it to happen while driving and get spooked or just the waste of the gas.

I haven't ever had 13 in one before; a little shy of 12 was most I've ever had in there.

Thanks y'all.

John

·
Registered
653 Posts
Saw the title of the thread and was expecting to see a pic like this lol

Found this on the Classic Funny Car Board

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Don't know whos bottle your using, but NOS's bottles are the actual safe NO[SUP]2[/SUP] limit. You going to hurt somebody, probably yourself if you continue to over fill those things.
page 5 tells you the bottle weights empty and full
LINKS: NOS tank full
It's N[sub]2[/sub]O.:)bulb

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have blown a couple pop off valves by overfilling. Watch the pressure! you would be amazed how fast you can come out a vehicle once one pops the disk out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts