Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I have a major problem. I replaced my original points distributor with a Mallory dual point distributor. I brought #1 cylinder to top TDC set in the new distributor and lined the rotor with #1 like your supposed to, set the firing order according to a Ford 460,attached the wire to the condensor and checked the positive side of my coil for juice, hit the key and nothing.:mad: She just cranks and won't fire.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?????:mad:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Okay guys I have a major problem. I replaced my original points distributor with a Mallory dual point distributor. I brought #1 cylinder to top TDC set in the new distributor and lined the rotor with #1 like your supposed to, set the firing order according to a Ford 460,attached the wire to the condensor and checked the positive side of my coil for juice, hit the key and nothing.:mad: She just cranks and won't fire.WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?????:mad:
Maybe your 180 out.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Wires could have an issue. Ground could be an issue.
Disconnect the battery and do a resistance check on the entire circuit. as long as you don't have OL(out of limit) your good in a manner of speaking
Or leave the battery connected and do an available voltage test untill you find last/lost. Last spot you have voltage first spot you have a lost..
Being 180 out would still trigger. Does the points ground out fully? could be gap issue.
Test coil for resistance. Primary circuit- Positive/ground should read ohms. Secondary circuit- positive to coil output plug should read k/ohms.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wires could have an issue. Ground could be an issue.
Disconnect the battery and do a resistance check on the entire circuit. as long as you don't have OL(out of limit) your good in a manner of speaking
Or leave the battery connected and do an available voltage test untill you find last/lost. Last spot you have voltage first spot you have a lost..
Being 180 out would still trigger. Does the points ground out fully? could be gap issue.
Test coil for resistance. Primary circuit- Positive/ground should read ohms. Secondary circuit- positive to coil output plug should read k/ohms.

I can't believe its electrical. I just drove the boat Friday and changed the distributor Saturday. Everything was working perfect Friday on the water.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I would double check to see if you have voltage to the distributor. and coil primary. Sounds like it might be from the ground side. Points or wire. Double check your points set up instalation.
Check battery to see if terms are tight. mine loosen up all the time.
Put the old one back in and see if you have a running motor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have ignition. Turns out it was a bad condensor. Brand new Mallory Distributor and the condensor wasn't any good.
Removed the condensor from my Ford distributor,wired it in the the Mallory and she touched off imediately. Now I just have to get it on the water so I can put a timing light to it and she's done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts