Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my fresh 460 together and headed out to the lake for a little test and tune...
I was really looking forward to a nice afternoon.

Well, my day was cut short...very short...due to another [email protected]$$ battery failure.
My fault entirely for actually believing that a $60 marine battery would last more than 6 months.

My luck with batteries is about as bad as you can get.
I had an optima yellow top.
It lasted a year.
Had an Interstate.
It was bad off the shelf.
Tried a Wally World Marine batt.
It lasted 6 months.

And yes, I checked voltage drops everywhere. Nothing higher than .3v anywhere other than the starter motor.
And yes, my alternator works fine.

I am really tired of this.

What is your guys go-to battery brand/type, if there is one?

I can't seem to find anything anywhere rated more than maybe 850cca.

I don't trust autozone/kragen brand stuff.

I need overkill here.

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
been running yellow tops in my boat for a year and a half, and never had a problem!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am using the same red top I bought 3 years ago! I don't even float charge it during the winter , I just un hook it if the boats not gonna be used any time soon.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
I bought a $60 dolla RV/Marine battery from Wal-Mart (the yellow & black one) in 2005, probably a week after I bought my boat. I just replaced it this Memorial Day weekend with a battery from O'Reillys.. and even then if my alternator had been hooked up properly (another story) I think it still be kicking... Regardless... that $60 dolla 3 yr free replacement Wal-Mart battery has been in the boat since 2005, never been on a charger, never been unhooked in the offseason, nuthin... Hell, the boat hadn't even been fired since Oct. 2010 until Memorial Day weekend this year & it started up just fine.

I'd have to guess you have somethin else goin on to be knockin those batterys out like that. :cool:

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This boat kills batteries so quickly I am starting to think the starter is at fault.
I just had it rebuilt, and it's worse than ever.
It barely turns the motor even with a 1000cca Cat battery hooked up.
I have 2 ga battery cables.
No voltage drops over .3v anywhere, and the drop from the starter +terminal to ground is about 10v, and the starter gets blazing hot.
I'm going to pull the starter tomorrow and take it back for re-examination.

Base timing is about 10*BTDC, so no real worries there.

·
Registered
829 Posts
This boat kills batteries so quickly I am starting to think the starter is at fault.
I just had it rebuilt, and it's worse than ever.
It barely turns the motor even with a 1000cca Cat battery hooked up.
I have 2 ga battery cables.
No voltage drops over .3v anywhere, and the drop from the starter +terminal to ground is about 10v, and the starter gets blazing hot.
I'm going to pull the starter tomorrow and take it back for re-examination.

Base timing is about 10*BTDC, so no real worries there.
im sure the batteries are fine, its just up to you to find out why your electrical system is killing them. the starter should not get hot. my wal-mart cheap-o for my new boat always gets unhooked and put on the float charger and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
388 Posts
been running yellow tops in my boat for a year and a half, and never had a problem!
I am using the same red top I bought 3 years ago! I don't even float charge it during the winter , I just un hook it if the boats not gonna be used any time soon.
I've also had good luck with Optimas, I have two yellow tops in my Glastron that I purchases back in '03.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree you prob got a starter issue. Let us know what you find, I'm curious. I've had great luck with Optima, but I've run a ton of turd batteries pulled out of something else last minute LOL. Keep in mind that there are only like two manufacturers of batteries for most of the parts houses (excluding the optimas, etc) They will put their own name on them (Duralast, Champion, etc) but most of the time they are interstate or GMB(?)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I have been running a 2nd no name brand for 4 years and no problems! Do you have a bunch of tunes in your ride? And I would replace the starter if it is draging that means it's dying or motor compression is weak!

·
Registered
513 Posts
battery

I've got a Walmart battery in the boat. Its going on the third season and no issues with the battery. I don't even unhook it. Like said previously there are only like two manufacturers of batteries. I am not sure about marine batteries but I know for sure that you should not start your boat with a deepcycle r.v. battery. They are made for the small but constant draw, and not the huge sudden draw of the starter. If you don't have a radio in the boat why not use a car battery? One of the biggest factors of longevity with a battery is the shelf life, and nobody has more customers than Walmart. Therefore I would think that their batteries would be pretty fresh. Check the starter out. There might be an issue there. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been running a 2nd no name brand for 4 years and no problems! Do you have a bunch of tunes in your ride? And I would replace the starter if it is draging that means it's dying or motor compression is weak!
No stereo at all in the boat, and yes, this is a brand new 460.
Just turned it over by hand, and it is pretty tight, but it turns.
When I built this thing all journal clearances were .001" via plastic guage.
Between the weak batteries, hot starter and tightness of the motor, I don't know what to do at this point.
I hope this thing loosens up a bit.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a Walmart battery in the boat. Its going on the third season and no issues with the battery. I don't even unhook it. Like said previously there are only like two manufacturers of batteries. I am not sure about marine batteries but I know for sure that you should not start your boat with a deepcycle r.v. battery. They are made for the small but constant draw, and not the huge sudden draw of the starter. If you don't have a radio in the boat why not use a car battery? One of the biggest factors of longevity with a battery is the shelf life, and nobody has more customers than Walmart. Therefore I would think that their batteries would be pretty fresh. Check the starter out. There might be an issue there. Good luck.
I have a walmart marine battery in it.

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
No stereo at all in the boat, and yes, this is a brand new 460.
Just turned it over by hand, and it is pretty tight, but it turns.
When I built this thing all journal clearances were .001" via plastic guage.
Between the weak batteries, hot starter and tightness of the motor, I don't know what to do at this point.
I hope this thing loosens up a bit.
I sure hope the plastigauge runs on the tight side and you have a bit more actual clearance than that......:))eek:))

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a walmart marine battery in it.
Yes I read that, but is it a deep cycle marine or an auto type battery. Are the the Marine batteries made as auxiliary deep cycle batteries or are they good for cranking also. I don't know I usually don't buy marine stuff because it cost twice as much and is usually not necessary. You might want to take the starter down to Modesto auto electric and have those boys check it out.I have a friend that was using a deep cycle battery to start his 460 in his motorhome and had problems with it, because the deep cycle battery was NOT RATED FOR THE CRANKING AMPERAGE. I'm just giving my opinion, and possibly a few things to look at. It can only be a few things. The battery problem seems to keep coming back and the odds of you having that many bad batteries is almost impossible. So now its time to look at the starter..............you did............and it was really hot. Why is it so hot? Is there a problem with the starter???? Or is the amperage rating on your marine battery too low.......possibly because it is a deep cycle? I am not sure. These are all things to look at.You might want to look at those bearing clearances also. Most boat engines like a lot more than........ .001

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Optima Blue top goin on 5 years with it :D

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
I've had an Optima Blue in the Miller for 4 years now, NEVER trickle it, sits for months and always works.
But the last 6 years have been hit or miss with them.
I've had 2 yellow tops in vehicles shit within a year, and red top shit in less than a year.
(And those ones I actually tried to maintain)

When you get a "good one", they are hard to beat. But it seems consistency is lacking?

I just put a new Red Top in the Vette, hope it is a decent one....

You can't charge them on "High" or it will kill them quick, 2 amp or less has been my experience.

It seems that the more expensive they are, the more maintenance they need overall.
Why is that??:|err

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just took it out to the lake this morning.
It took 2 batteries to start it, but even that was slow.
The motor runs fine, temp is perfect, but after warmed up it would not restart.
Just pulled the starter and I am taking it in to the shop that just rebuilt it for a look.

It's a top mount, reverse wound starter.
Good thing it's easy to remove.
It's also decades old.:)coffee
Is there a hi torque replacement out there?
I should probably call Tom with that question...:)bulb

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Lets see motor starts easy when cold harder when warm or hot? If a new starter and battery do not fix your problem then it sounds like the motor is setup to tight! Now this is just my opinion!
Does the cable spark when installed onto the battery post with everything off? If so what is hot? MSD boxes will do this once! And should not do it again till after it is discharged!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts