Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small apartment building in L.A. I have resided here since 1995. In that time, there have been very few unpleasant incidents. My nightmare started a couple of years ago, when a young woman moved in to the apartment next door to me. Our front doors are only a few feet apart and facing each other.

At some point, I suppose she decided she didn't care when she played her music or how loud. If I can hear music from other people's apartments, it disturbs me. I tried reasoning with her, but eventually she stopped answering when I knocked, choosing to ignore me. Naturally, I complained to my landlord, who in turn supposedly spoke to the tenant. There followed several days or weeks of blissful silence, followed by an eventual relapse and more loud music.

Music isn't the only problem. A few weeks back, she got into an extremely loud and violent argument with a male friend, possibly boyfriend. This was about a 45-minute-long brawl in which furniture was thrown, obscenities were screamed and, at several points, shrieks of alarm and peril. I recorded a good stretch of it on audiocassette and shared it with my landlord the following day. Naturally, nothing came of it.

Here's a video of what I have to deal with:

Tonight's music started at 2 a.m. and is still going on at 3:44 a.m. I made a videotape of it, which I plan to show my landlord in the morning, but given everything that has happened so far, using my powers of extrapolation, I'm sure history will repeat itself.

It is impossible to calculate how much sleep I've lost and the mental anguish that has taken its toll on my psyche. Do I have a legal recourse? (A cheap one—I'm practically destitute.) Any advice you can throw me would be immeasurable. Thank you.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Don't know what to tell you.
I remember those days, it SUCKS!

We thought we were in heaven when We bought a house trailer in a park way back when.
I believe I would just have to shoot myself if I had to go back.

In L.A.........don't have a clue what recourse you have other than confrontation.....which could easily land you on an episode of "The First 48"....

I don't imagine cops would even respond to a noise complaint there?

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts
I would find where her electric meter is, and pull the meter. :yes: Weight for a cold night though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would find where her electric meter is, and pull the meter. :yes: Weight for a cold night though.

You're a twisted dick...didn't tell him to wear insulated gloves and mask. Dispose of far away in separate places...

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
What do the rules for the complex say about noise? If they address the issue, your problem isn't with her but rather the owner. Send the owner a certified letter and tell them of the problem and the inability of the manager in dealing with the problem. Politely remind them that failure to enforce the rules is a litigatable offense.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
How long is the adjoining wall? Reason asking is there are materials that will deaden sound up to 8X regular drywall that can be applied. If its not a big area it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. But I know typically apartments would have a long adjoining wall, which sucks. I know it shouldn't be your responsibility, just looking for options to achieve the desired end result (silence).

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Boil 1/2 a head of cabbage every night and put a small fan blowing the fumes into the hallway... Cabbage is cheap and healthy for you to eat/can/ferment... You may actually start liking the smell of it...

Once she starts to get used to the smell of the cabbage you can switch to microwaving small amounts of Rocolet cheese or Vieux Boulogne

The Rocolet (sp) should be available at most bavarian food shops and a little goes a LONG LONG way... Limburger is bad but this stuff makes it smell like red roses... :))THumbsUp

Ever have OR make nouc mam? Fermented/salt cured fish sauce which is quite tastey once you get past the smell... You can make it at home with the help of a heat lamp...

I would think that a weekly rotation of cooked cabage/hot rocolet cheese/fermenting nouc mam should do the trick and have her finding a new appt in no time... :))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp

Think about it, there is always a way to get to someone if you just think about it and find the ***** in their armor...

A small tube fan by your front door and an open window on the opposite side of your appt to help move the air her way should work out nicely...

Maybe have a little cabbage/gruye're cheese fondue' party of your own when she is having some guests over for a night of music/partying... :))THumbsUp

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
You may also be able to sue your landlord in court for not taking action depending on local noise laws. I imagine you would need both video and noise levels (decibel meter) as evidence. Of course that can get messy if landlord chooses to retaliate against you in other ways. Do you have a lease or month to month? If month to month you are pretty much screwed. If you have a lease there is likely noise restrictions within it that would apply to all tenants. A rental agreement might have this also (month to month).

Is there a property manager on site you deal with or do you deal directly with a landlord who is not present at the complex?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I live in a small apartment building in L.A. I have resided here since 1995. In that time, there have been very few unpleasant incidents. My nightmare started a couple of years ago, when a young woman moved in to the apartment next door to me. Our front doors are only a few feet apart and facing each other.

At some point, I suppose she decided she didn't care when she played her music or how loud. If I can hear music from other people's apartments, it disturbs me. I tried reasoning with her, but eventually she stopped answering when I knocked, choosing to ignore me. Naturally, I complained to my landlord, who in turn supposedly spoke to the tenant. There followed several days or weeks of blissful silence, followed by an eventual relapse and more loud music.

Music isn't the only problem. A few weeks back, she got into an extremely loud and violent argument with a male friend, possibly boyfriend. This was about a 45-minute-long brawl in which furniture was thrown, obscenities were screamed and, at several points, shrieks of alarm and peril. I recorded a good stretch of it on audiocassette and shared it with my landlord the following day. Naturally, nothing came of it.

Here's a video of what I have to deal with:

Tonight's music started at 2 a.m. and is still going on at 3:44 a.m. I made a videotape of it, which I plan to show my landlord in the morning, but given everything that has happened so far, using my powers of extrapolation, I'm sure history will repeat itself.

It is impossible to calculate how much sleep I've lost and the mental anguish that has taken its toll on my psyche. Do I have a legal recourse? (A cheap one—I'm practically destitute.) Any advice you can throw me would be immeasurable. Thank you.
That sucks!!! I hated apartment living....there's not much you can do, other than move.....:hmmm:

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
How long is the adjoining wall? Reason asking is there are materials that will deaden sound up to 8X regular drywall that can be applied. If its not a big area it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. But I know typically apartments would have a long adjoining wall, which sucks. I know it shouldn't be your responsibility, just looking for options to achieve the desired end result (silence).
IF this is a fairly modern complex there should be a firecoat firewall floor to ceiling BUT that cant keep out the smell of cooked cabbage or cheese fondue'...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Call the police non hotline, they will give her a warning the first time. Thereafter she gets cited for the noise. The manager might start doing something since he should not want police presence/reports. Some people will still clear of renting if it shows many visits from the police.
my neighbor dj's and also throughs parties from fri-Sunday. Multiple neighbors call and complain. Hell he's playing his garage stereo and his dj stereo in the back yard. Different tunes and the kicker.....no ones even home:((((((

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Fight fire with fire, take up drums! Open your door and play away. That will cause the whole building to wake up. You stop and the angry mob will end up at her door. Just kidding...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
How bout trying to develop a liking for the music she listens to OR have her over for dinner, who knows you might strike up a relationship with her ???? crazier things have happened you know :wink2:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Easy enough. Loud arguments are a domestic dispute and a call to leo will shut than down and maybe lock it up. Loud music, get a getto blaster and a tape with mexican music, place it by your front door, turn it on whenever you are not home and every few days turn it up a little louder. If she is up late at night she sleeps in the day..when you are not there...real mexican music is probably the most obnoxious noise on the planet....the same tape over and over and over has been known to bring on insanity in some people.:wink2:

Any kind of extended argument is grounds for a domestic call, don't tell leo about other issues, you are just a neighbor concerned for her welfare..Might be a good idea to tell your neighbors what you are doing, they are probably already aware of the issue anyway.

If that doesn't work, re-post and i will come up with something else.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Do what I do to piss the neighbors off

Fire the V drive up with the zoomies on, and listen to some blower surge for a few minutes!

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Call the police non hotline, they will give her a warning the first time. Thereafter she gets cited for the noise. The manager might start doing something since he should not want police presence/reports. Some people will still clear of renting if it shows many visits from the police.
my neighbor dj's and also throughs parties from fri-Sunday. Multiple neighbors call and complain. Hell he's playing his garage stereo and his dj stereo in the back yard. Different tunes and the kicker.....no ones even home:((((((
The L.A.P.D. have their hands full at the present time... :)Unsure

1 - 20 of 51 Posts