• Take them out with small nuke right on gov at first sign of aggression

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Just take them out asap

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Do nothing and watch

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Have Obama aides schedule a meet the President day to establish good will

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Start a small non-ending unwinable conventional ground and air war at the first sign of aggression

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Send in special ops and surgically remove government probably at high cost

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Tell So Korea, sorry bro you're on your own, we got shit goin on in the mid-east

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Apoligize for all gestures and acts that have offended the North Korean Gov

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Take them out after they shoot off a nuke and So Korea or US and not before

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090527/ts_nm/us_korea_north

Serious or another slight of hand? Big dog with a bark and a bite or little dog with a yapper?

History suggests serious. Nukes in their hands could mean nukes in the hands of terrorists (sold) as their economy is in shambles. And terrorists could possibly do more damage with them than North Korea, no?

I guess I need to define aggression for the poll purpose. To attack the interests of So Korea or its allies by land, missile, plane, bomb, sell nuke, direct threat to use nuke or evidence in that regard (that part would be enough to warrant taking out their nukes if intelligence had them located, of course if that happened it would be game on for them and would require further action).

How to respond? Vote for as many options as you like.

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
nuke 'em. Show the rest of the world that we're not to be fuqqed with.
Yeah...the mutt messiah's gonna do that.:rolleyes:
What's your vote, Mr Rex?

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Option one unless they shoot a nuke off then the gov becomes a sheet of glass. I'm not in favor of nuclear exchanges. And if we did ever have to use one in a situation like this I'd hope it would be a tiny one to accomplish the purpose of removing the bad guys with as little surrounding damage as possible. If that's even possible.

I'm not in favor of losing American's lives over this (or any) wingnut in some drawn out ground offensive or air war or otherwise. Let the B-52's and the Tomahawks fight this one. They both have nuclear and non-nuclear capability.

Of course if they invade So Korea the nuke option to the heart may be the only way to avoid the extensive loss of life on both sides. They have one of the largest conventional armies in the world which we are certainly not equipped to engage on the ground. I would also make it mission one to take out all their nuke capability the first hour of conflict.

I hope none of above is even necessary as my first choice.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Last option, wait till they shoot first.

IMO, the same as it has been for 50+ years, China runs N. Korea.

N. Korea is a dog on a chain,a nd China holds the other end of the Chain.

China lets N. Korea's little nutball do and say MOST of what he wants, just to keep the world stirred up, BUT, IMO, China is exactly the same as the Soviet Union was. Sabre-rattling and war-ish rhetoric was fine for the population @ home to help keep things under controll, BUT, they did not want a major conflict with us anywhere after The Berlin Airlift, the stakes were simply too high.
Survival was more important, and both our piles of nukes made that a distinct uncertainty.

N. Korea gets to say and do a lot of crap just to "stir the pot", and that DOES have to be paid attention to, but, China has limitations based in comon sense and survival, and will not allow N. Korea to do anything TOO provocotive, like actually LAUNCH a nuke anywhere.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
I voted "surgically" remove Gov.

But the option is not exactly what I would choose as written. My thinking is that by eliminating the "highest" ranking officials, lives could be saved, not spent.

To wait for them to attack S. Korea is to automatically assume a defensive posture, and that ALWAYS costs more lives. AND sends a message to other aggressors that they will always get the first shot off.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Last option, wait till they shoot first.

IMO, the same as it has been for 50+ years, China runs N. Korea.

N. Korea is a dog on a chain,a nd China holds the other end of the Chain.

China lets N. Korea's little nutball do and say MOST of what he wants, just to keep the world stirred up, BUT, IMO, China is exactly the same as the Soviet Union was. Sabre-rattling and war-ish rhetoric was fine for the population @ home to help keep things under controll, BUT, they did not want a major conflict with us anywhere after The Berlin Airlift, the stakes were simply too high.
Survival was more important, and both our piles of nukes made that a distinct uncertainty.

N. Korea gets to say and do a lot of crap just to "stir the pot", and that DOES have to be paid attention to, but, China has limitations based in comon sense and survival, and will not allow N. Korea to do anything TOO provocotive, like actually LAUNCH a nuke anywhere.
Those are very good points! I did not consider that before posting.
Do you think that China is giving them more leash to test O's spine and responses?

·
1,512 Posts
Cutting off the head of the N Korean government would force China to install its own ruling party thus officially taking over N Korea. No longer could they be used as a proxy. Over the long term you would see China trying to integrate S Korea into a unified Korean peninsula under Chinese control. More S Koreans would be running to the US leaving the sheep at home to learn Chinese.

Destroying N Korea's nuclear capability then isolating its technology exports would hold the country in check until iL dies. The importance of this is, an opportunity opens up to effect change. The N Koreans, for 3 generations have been brainwashed to believe the US and its allies are evil. The press is censored so the people never see what goes on around the world. They are a very dangerous cult of true believers. This is how the ruling party stays in power. It will take years to open up the N Korean society.

The last resort. If N Korea lets a bird fly, destroy the entire N Korean military complex. There will be all out war if we don't. Japan and S Korean must be part of the assault. Afterall it's their ass we are protecting.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Cutting off the head of the N Korean government would force China to install its own ruling party thus officially taking over N Korea. No longer could they be used as a proxy. Over the long term you would see China trying to integrate S Korea into a unified Korean peninsula under Chinese control. More S Koreans would be running to the US leaving the sheep at home to learn Chinese.

Destroying N Korea's nuclear capability then isolating its technology exports would hold the country in check until iL dies. The importance of this is, an opportunity opens up to effect change. The N Koreans, for 3 generations have been brainwashed to believe the US and its allies are evil. The press is censored so the people never see what goes on around the world. They are a very dangerous cult of true believers. This is how the ruling party stays in power. It will take years to open up the N Korean society.

The last resort. If N Korea lets a bird fly, destroy the entire N Korean military complex. There will be all out war if we don't. Japan and S Korean must be part of the assault. Afterall it's their ass we are protecting.
Japan and S. Korea are unliley allies. The Koreans dispise the Japanese over WWII atrocities. The US is the only bond between the 2.

NK only has enough Plutonium for 5-6 nukes. An embargo would keep any more from reaching them. Starving them out is probably the best answer, but we live in a world of "instant" action/results/gratifications and the Left will not allow Chairman O a minutes peace if they feel the NK people are starving, which they likely already are, so they will demand action, which will likely be pleas to the UN.

I don't think the Chinese believe the NK's have enough power and regard their actions as nothing more than trying provoke a reaction from the US and SK.

I would blow any missle launched out of the air though, just to show them what real technology is capable of......

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Smallest drill

Japan and S. Korea are unliley allies. The Koreans dispise the Japanese over WWII atrocities. The US is the only bond between the 2.

NK only has enough Plutonium for 5-6 nukes. An embargo would keep any more from reaching them. Starving them out is probably the best answer, but we live in a world of "instant" action/results/gratifications and the Left will not allow Chairman O a minutes peace if they feel the NK people are starving, which they likely already are, so they will demand action, which will likely be pleas to the UN.

I don't think the Chinese believe the NK's have enough power and regard their actions as nothing more than trying provoke a reaction from the US and SK.

I would blow any missle launched out of the air though, just to show them what real technology is capable of......
Kinda like drilling a hole through the worlds smallest, hardest, drill bit, and sending it back...........Maybe send them some pictures of Hiroshima......Ray

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Rex, I know you know but this will not be a fair poll.....the majority of the liberals that frequent this site are avoiding the PRF because they are embarrassed by their vote for the Liberal Messiah and all he has done since taking office in fulfilling many of our worst nightmares of radicalizing this country...so in saying this what about moving the poll to the Open Forum to see if you can obtain a good cross section of opinions?

And no, my suggestion is to not call out my friend Ultra.......He is slowly coming around, very slowly.

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
My thought is that China is perfectly happy to let the North Koreans provoke and annoy the rest of us, so that they don't have to. While still a Communist nation with there own aggendas, they have an increaseing look of a Capitalist economy. The Chinese are financing a great deal of our debt, and their economy is growing at a rapid pace because of us. They probably do not want compromise that position. Unfortunately for us, the damage is done. We will have to meet each crisis as it occurs, because our weenie allies will not help us. Joe Shelfo Sr.

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
I don't think there is anything to go but to park many ships about .5 nautical miles outside their international water line, send some high level flights over the north dropping huge payloads of leaflets over populated areas telling the people to stand up and military to stand down or face the wrath of Obama....got confused with the messiah thing again........I mean the US and it's Allies and don't forget to schedule a meeting over brunch for Obama and Elvis to sit down and talk.

My choice would be to send in a Delta, Seal or other Black Ops team and light up the presidential party and major supports......have a bunch of ships and aircraft on the ready with food and medicine and when the top is toppled take the country with force and tons of world wide humanitarian support and overwhelm the population with the worlds niceness....this would have to be done immediately to take China out of the equation.

See attached report:

N. Korea May Attack U.S., S. Korean Ships

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:55 AM

javascript:setActiveStyleSheet('largeFont');
SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea threatened military action Wednesday against U.S. and South Korean warships plying the waters near the Koreas' disputed maritime border, raising the specter of a naval clash just days after the regime's underground nuclear test.

Pyongyang, reacting angrily to Seoul's decision to join an international program to intercept ships suspected of aiding nuclear proliferation, called the move tantamount to a declaration of war.

"Now that the South Korean puppets were so ridiculous as to join in the said racket and dare declare a war against compatriots," North Korea is "compelled to take a decisive measure," the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said in a statement carried by state media.

Seoul's decision comes at a time when "the state of military confrontation is growing acute and there is constant danger of military conflict," the statement warned.

South Korea's military said Wednesday it was prepared to "respond sternly" to any North Korean provocation.

North Korea's latest belligerence comes as the U.N. Security Council debates how to punish the regime for testing a nuclear bomb Monday in what President Barack Obama called a "blatant violation" of international law.

Ambassadors from the five permanent veto-wielding council members - the United States, Russia, China, Britain and France - as well as Japan and South Korea were working out the details of a new resolution.

South Korea, divided from the North by a heavily fortified border, had responded to the nuclear test by joining the Proliferation Security Initiative, a U.S.-led network of nations seeking to stop ships from transporting the materials used in nuclear bombs.

Seoul previously resisted joining the PSI in favor of seeking reconciliation with Pyongyang, but pushed those efforts aside Monday after the nuclear test in the northeast.

North Korea warned Wednesday that any attempt to stop, board or inspect its ships would constitute a "grave violation."

The regime also said it could no longer promise the safety of U.S. and South Korean warships and civilian vessels in the waters near the Korea's western maritime border.

"They should bear in mind that the (North) has tremendous military muscle and its own method of strike able to conquer any targets in its vicinity at one stroke or hit the U.S. on the raw, if necessary," it said. The maritime border has long been a flashpoint between the two Koreas. North Korea disputes the line unilaterally drawn by the United Nations at the end of the Koreas' three-year war in 1953, and has demanded it be redrawn further south.

The truce signed in 1953 and subsequent military agreements call for both sides to refrain from warfare, but doesn't cover the waters off the west coast. (not a peace treaty)

North Korea has used the maritime border dispute to provoke two deadly naval skirmishes _ in 1999 and 2002.

On Wednesday, the regime promised "unimaginable and merciless punishment" for anyone daring to challenge its ships.

Pyongyang also reportedly restarted its weapons-grade nuclear plant, South Korean media said.

The Chosun Ilbo newspaper said U.S. spy satellites detected signs of steam at the North's Yongbyon nuclear complex, an indication it may have started reprocessing nuclear fuel. The report, which could not be confirmed, quoted an unidentified government official. South Korea's Yonhap news agency also carried a similar report. The move would be a major setback for efforts aimed at getting North Korea to disarm.

North Korea had stopped reprocessing fuel rods as part of an international deal. In 2007, it agreed to disable the Yongbyon reactor in exchange for aid and demolished a cooling tower at the complex.

The North has about 8,000 spent fuel rods which, if reprocessed, could allow it to harvest 13 to 18 pounds (six to eight kilograms) of plutonium _ enough to make at least one nuclear bomb, experts said. North Korea is believed to have enough plutonium for at least a half dozen atomic bombs.

Further ratcheting up tensions, North Korea test-fired five short-range missiles over the past two days, South Korean officials confirmed.

A North Korean newspaper, Minju Joson, said in commentary Wednesday that Pyongyang does not fear repercussions for its actions.

"It is a laughable delusion for the United States to think that it can get us to kneel with sanctions," it said. "We've been living under U.S. sanctions for decades, but have firmly safeguarded our ideology and system while moving our achievements forward. The U.S. sanctions policy toward North Korea is like striking a rock with a rotten egg." (Lets just all get along and sit down and talk.....Obama)

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Those are very good points! I did not consider that before posting.
Do you think that China is giving them more leash to test O's spine and responses?
I very much do. China is doing no more than every other potential "non-friendly" (not quite "enemy") nation is doing, worldwide, starting with Russia back in January.

·
Cajun Member
1,436 Posts
Sanctions against our enemy's looks to be of no real use.Massive force (not putting troops on the ground) should be considered in dealing with N. Korea and Iran sooner than later.I don't see any way around it...

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
There isn't an INTELIGENT member of N Korea's millitary that wants to go south to play with the ROK boys.

"Vicious" is not adequately descriptive.

No, I am not refering to Kim J Ill as "inteligent" either. He'd send guys south to die by the 10's of thousands and then go have a Shrimp Coctail & Cogniac Lunch.

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
I think we take out their nuke capability tomorrow. That's the real threat, and I believe they've gone far enough to justify it. I also don't think China want's to deal with this right now...they've got their own hands full with plenty of problems. They also don't want to compromise their relationship with the US.

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
There isn't an INTELIGENT member of N Korea's millitary that wants to go south to play with the ROK boys.

"Vicious" is not adequately descriptive.

No, I am not refering to Kim J Ill as "inteligent" either. He'd send guys south to die by the 10's of thousands and then go have a Shrimp Coctail & Cogniac Lunch.
When I was flying for some SF details, I had an opportunity to do some training with some ROK Soldiers here in the states. To say these guys are serious and dedicated is an understatement. I wouldn't call them overtly vicious (in my own mind's interpretation) but deadly, yes.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Maybe we should tell China to get their dog on a leash or we will.....hm...what will we do again?

R

·
0 Posts
You left out Nobama's likely strategy.

Send Hillary over there to straighten out the whole mess :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts