Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to get my motor running again and not having any luck i have a Pertronix dizzy and flamethrower 2 coil I have 12v going to coil I and 12v to cap I’ve replaced the Ignitor 2 and still no luck where to go next I’m not sure I’d hate to keep throwing parts at it if there not the problem the coil is new also. 93CA9039-367B-4BAA-A956-228D7801DDEF_1525007492290.jpg

·
Registered
597 Posts
Good grounds ? ,,,,

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is grounded to bellhousing and the ground inside dizzy is good module is grounded to coil all seem to grounded well. I checked tc and rotor is pointing to #1 509721BC-B229-4BDB-9929-4BF5D977B197_1525017734563.jpg 0C60478C-02D0-4048-9EBD-F205FEA70C3A_1525017695611.jpg

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Go direct from the battery to the + side of the coil with a jumper wire. their could be a ballast resister in line that is bad. ????? Add on, if you get spark and it tries to fire STOP! Disconnect the hot wire and turn the key on, grab a test light and find the break in power. MLAO Mark

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have a ballest resistor in this system I was told I don’t need it with this Pertronix setup

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I don’t have a ballest resistor in this system I was told I don’t need it with this Pertronix setup
Okay with that being said. I would turn the key on and go from the power source to the coil and find the break in power. If need be all the way to the key/ ignition switch. If you still don't find a break, go back to the coil and hold the circuit tester on the coil and crank the engine over, if it does not atleast flash then check the ignition switch for power coming out to the coil. If it does not have spark jump thru the switch and check to fire or show a sign of wanting to. I would imagine you have (at this point) tried to fire it enough times that it may not want to show a sign of life atleast but try it.

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I’ve checked for power on everything you just mentionedand I am getting 12v all they way to ignition switch but have not checked for power as I turn key to start. Are you saying I should try a new ignition switch? Or check for power as key is turned to start position.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I’ve checked for power on everything you just mentionedand I am getting 12v all they way to ignition switch but have not checked for power as I turn key to start. Are you saying I should try a new ignition switch? Or check for power as key is turned to start position.
YES! Also as you are under the dash look for a ballist resister at the same time under the dash. If you have one check the out to coil the same way. M

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the little red led on the Pertronix module inside the dizzy, if it does not show signs of life when the key is on then it might have died (you can also test it by connecting the red and black wire to a 9 volt bettery). I had 2 of them die before I switched to MSD

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
I wanted to mention; With most of these starting systems, when you turn the key to start it cuts power to everything else- including the ignition......The ignition gets its juice from a separate wire off the starter solenoid during start-up...It could be a bad starter solenoid......or bad wire from there....

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The starter is only a month old got it from cpperformance I’ll have to look into those options thanks

·
deckboat owner
480 Posts
MSD box

Plug the connector back in that your son unplugged leading to the MSD box....
Sorry.
Last weekend I was working on my 78 Bronco with 460 on it and went to pull back into garage and it wouldn't start.
Just seemed like a coincidence when I read the title.
Son gave me a hand removing brush guard with fog lights, some gauges, air horn and other misc extra wires.
Started trying to figure out why no spark as son recommended start fluid...?
I am not seeing anything out of place and he says maybe it's this...a 2 lead connection that he undid when I wasn't looking.
At least he only waited 4-5 minutes before letting me in on his secrets

GOOD LUCK with the boat.
Just thought I had to share.
I know, no MSD etc...

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cvxjet I ordered a high torque mini starter from cpperformance and I have it wired straight from battery and ignition. And noticed it doesn’t crank over like I thought it should. It cranks over but not very fast but if the solonoid was bad would it still crank over

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
The solenoid does 2 things when you turn the key; It runs the starter, and it sends juice to the ignition.....If it's turning over, then the solenoid is doing it's job as far as turning on the starter......The mini starter sounds completely different from a old regular-style starter, so don't worry about that part yet. If the starter is running then the solenoid is functioning, but I have seen solenoids that will run the starter but won't kick the juice to the ign'......Make sure you have a wire running from the PROPER stud on the starter to the ignition system...then use a meter and see if you get juice from it when you kick the starter.

I was trying to find a diagram of the wiring but it's difficult......."460 in a 67 Mustang" keeps coming up- among other things...

And rschap1....You should consider having your son help with testing the ignition system...."Pull the wire off of #1 cylinder while I turn it over...You should "See" a spark...let me know what you see.......son....":))eek:))

·
deckboat owner
480 Posts
:)

And rschap1....You should consider having your son help with testing the ignition system...."Pull the wire off of #1 cylinder while I turn it over...You should "See" a spark...let me know what you see.......son....":))eek:))

He has seen me get zapped enough times to know better at least.
Funniest part of it all is that he has spent past 3 years of free time helping my brother in his electrical company.

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I followed these steps from Pertronix 4B285BE3-763C-442C-B5C4-C2276CEB97A6_1525227597702.jpg I grounded the coil from neg term on coil to engine turned ignition to on position and got 10.5 v 😀 then I got a 0.00 reading while cranking so I’m thinking about buying a new ignition switch and replace the ignition wire from switch to coil. Yes no? What do you think.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Ok I followed these steps from Pertronix View attachment 1020274 I grounded the coil from neg term on coil to engine turned ignition to on position and got 10.5 v 😀 then I got a 0.00 reading while cranking so I’m thinking about buying a new ignition switch and replace the ignition wire from switch to coil. Yes no? What do you think.
WRONG!!!! The plus side of the coil is to be fed by the ignition, the negative side(or minus side) goes to the distributor. Definetly not a block ground. With that you are grounding out the coil. Proof? put your;e hand on the coil mount and crank the engine.

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was the instructions from Pertronix 🤷‍♂️🏼I ran the tests and first test was good but during cranking I got nothing.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Corbin, it sounds like what I was saying could be your problem; With the key in "Ignition" the ignition system is getting juice from the key, But when in "Start" the only power supplied from the key is to the STARTER.......Then the starter Solenoid has a wire that runs from it to the ignition system......Check to make sure which wire runs from the starter solenoid to the ignition system...It may be on the wrong terminal on the solenoid.....Or broken.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts