Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL, I dont exactly have the pinto car with the huge stereo worth more then the boat, But i do however have a huge system I have put together that I have struggled for a bit now with power.

System includes standard Alternator for charge purpose's on water.

2 JL AUDIO 12W7 Subs

2 Sets of Diamond Audio Components/ which consist's of 2 6 1/4 mids, and 2" tweets x 2

1 JL AUDIO 1000/1 Amp

A600.2 Art Series PPI amp.

Now last year, I ran two Optima's now mine were the yellow tops because I removed these from my last CAR AUDIO system. They are however Deep cycle and high cranking/ but when these subs are working, hitting they are eating batteries like you would a sandwhich.

Seems this year I back treaded a bit, and slide backwards into a set of group 27 everstartrs, but again they were recom.

Now obviously i have a perko 1 2 both and all so I was attempting to leave one battery as starting and one as stereo., This has not worked out very well, Oh also all 0 guage wire for battreries, up to digitial dist. block in bathroom, and not but 2 mayb 3 foot of 4 guage to amps, 18 guage to components, and 8 guage to subs, which is way way over kill on wire size.

what are some ideals to get 6 mayb 7 hours of good hard core playing time with this sytem. last suggestion included a couple of golf cart six volts because of their huge amp hour capability's anyone know of a fix for this without spending 500 on a 250 amp alternator, and another 500 on batteries.

[email protected] or better give me a call 513 800 3957

please, i have the biggest event in ohio coming up in two weeks, i have all this equipement sound ability and I cut out after an hour with the key shut off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is a lot of power to draw. I think the only way is with the 2 of these US2200 XC2 6-Volt Golf Cart Battery

That is what I am planning to run next year and keep a starting battery for the engine. Luckily I get these cheap. Deep cycle battery's are not meant to start engines. I run a 160 amp alternator with 4ga wire and can't imagine needing more.

·
Registered
840 Posts
install small 1000 honda generator in the boat. Then enjoy loud music all f'n day long

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
generator

install small 1000 honda generator in the boat. Then enjoy loud music all f'n day long
YOU know honestly i was considering that, i have room on board that i could install a small gen set in their in place of the porta potty and sink and consider or call it my mechanical room in a sense, but i thought those had to be plumbed in and co2 censor's in place for those to be legal to use and do. legal, im using that term loosely, half of what we did is skecthy at best on the legal side.

how much workl would a small gen set like your talking about ser a fellow back. and how much work is it to install. if install indoors would nt there be a lot of co2 at some point

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have a couple boats with big power setups. I am using old school Autoteks that are ZED amps same as those PPI's. They make great power but they also draw it. You need big reserve batteries to last a long time. kinetics are great for that, but you pay for it.

One of the guys has a Honda 2000 that we use if we want to go all day. He just sets it on the deck with a small mat and a strap to hold it. You can't even hear it run. Plug in your charger and away we go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im running 3 fosgate 12s, 3 sets of 6.5 mids, 4 amps and two EQs(soon to have 4 more 6.5s and a new 4 channel). I had to add a third batt. 1 on the 1 side of the switch 2 on the 2 side and all 3 on all. I run on 2 all day and if they go i i put it on all three to start the boat. with 2 i usually go all day before the subs start cutting out. Im using deep cycle ACdelco Batts. Havent had any problems yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My setup is close to yours, only I'm running 1 W7 with A JL1000/1. I use to have the same issue, fought and fought with the amp kicking out after just a couple of hours. Finally last year I traced it to a poorly sized ground cable. Now that it's replaced I can get 6/7 hours running on two dedicated Optima blue tops. Speaker

·
Registered
840 Posts
i would slap it in the engine bay, maybe run an exhaust tube out one of the vents but the engine bay should be vented enough. just use the blower before you take off. Then i would run an electric start switch up to my dash. that is how i planned to do my install when the time comes.

honda 1000 is roughly 1100$ i think

·
Registered
239 Posts
In my boat I have 4 JL 12w6v's, 8 JL 7.7 components powered by 2 Alpine PDX M12's and 2 Alpine PDX F6's. I have 2 Optima Blue top starting batteries to run the boat and an Odyssey PC2150 that runs the stereo. Just on the one odyssey I can run the stereo hard for about 4 1/2 hours, so 2 of them would last all day. The guys I know that have generator set ups that work the best have 2 banks of batteries, one to run the stereo while the other gets charged. The AGM type batteries like to be charges at low amperage, so you cant cram 40 amps (or even 10 amps) into them. You will run down batteries much faster than you can recharge them, so build your system with the capacity you need from the start.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Party barge

I started off thinking I would need a generator, but my 3 batteries have kept up so far, 6 15s, 6 mids, and 6 tweets, 1 Orion hcca 225 & 2 old school Punch 150s on the bass , 1 Alpine 200 on highs and mids. I dont have to push on it too hard to be loud enough to rock the block. I may add another battery when I add the other 2 15s and a couple more pairs of mids and highs, I also have a few more amps waiting to be installed and my wife is wondering why she asked "Can you build me a system for my boat?" I charge after each lake trip and the night before the next trip.
Keith
Ps. Make sure you are wired up at an ohm load that your amp can operate at for the time you want to play hard without getting hot, a hot amp is wasting power

·
YOUNG BLOOD
57 Posts
Wow!!!

I started off thinking I would need a generator, but my 3 batteries have kept up so far, 6 15s, 6 mids, and 6 tweets, 1 Orion hcca 225 & 2 old school Punch 150s on the bass , 1 Alpine 200 on highs and mids. I dont have to push on it too hard to be loud enough to rock the block. I may add another battery when I add the other 2 15s and a couple more pairs of mids and highs, I also have a few more amps waiting to be installed and my wife is wondering why she asked "Can you build me a system for my boat?" I charge after each lake trip and the night before the next trip.
Keith
Ps. Make sure you are wired up at an ohm load that your amp can operate at for the time you want to play hard without getting hot, a hot amp is wasting power
THATS INSANE!!! my brother just got 2 ALPINE TYPE 2 12'S, and a 1800w kenwood amp, and i thought that was awesome, but damn, your set up sounds like it would be amazing, i am jealous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts