Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause the gaskets to blow out from the grooves. I just replaced them and two lake trips and already they blown out!
See attached pic.
Thanks in advance.:)hand

Attachments

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Don't know whose diverter you have, but I managed to stop it in my Berk F pump by stopping installing the seals.
Dad never got them to stay in, I never did, no noticable losses to my lake cruiser, so i quit concerning myself with it.

"excessive clearance" is the culprit, don't know how you're going to "fix" that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know whose diverter you have, but I managed to stop it in my Berk F pump by stopping installing the seals.
Dad never got them to stay in, I never did, no noticable losses to my lake cruiser, so i quit concerning myself with it.

"excessive clearance" is the culprit, don't know how you're going to "fix" that.
Are you saying i should replace the nozzle assy' then? Its jetavator that wont give a rooster tail. Thats another issue tho. Thanks for the reply.:D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Dont turn the steering wheel all the way left and right. The nozzel is going past the point where its supposed to stop. If you run alot in sand, the sand will wear out the teflon and the alum. You could try to build up the low spots with epoxy.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
On my old jetovator this was a problem. I drilled and tapped into a meaty part of the nozzle/jetovator and used some 1/4" stainless bolts as a mechanical stop to keep it from turning so far left and right. It only stopped it a few milimeters shy of where it used to go, so I couldn't tell any difference in the steering and it kept it from blowing out the rings. Never had to replace another after that.

I used to have some pictures showing the modification, but I lost them due to a computer hard drive failure.

It was super simple to do and fixed the problem though.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i agree with both above answers, limit the steering travel, smooth out the bore, and we have had success with gluing,i.e. groilla snot, the oring to the groove .

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Gotta hunch that you have an early Dominator nozzel adaptor coupled with a Berk JetOvator. The Dom nozzel adaptor is ever so slightly larger (ID) than standard Berk nozzle bodt and seal ring and probably fits a smidge loose . Its very simple to make steering stops like Squirtcha said by drilling and tapping the hsg and using small stainless allen heads to limit the travel R and L also I'll post up a "steering stop" pic when I find one Tom

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotta hunch that you have an early Dominator nozzel adaptor coupled with a Berk JetOvator. The Dom nozzel adaptor is ever so slightly larger (ID) than standard Berk nozzle bodt and seal ring and probably fits a smidge loose . Its very simple to make steering stops like Squirtcha said by drilling and tapping the hsg and using small stainless allen heads to limit the travel R and L also I'll post up a "steering stop" pic when I find one Tom
Thanks for the advise. I will see about drilling some stops for the steering. If you could post the pics of the steering stop, that would be great. thanks , Nino

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my old jetovator this was a problem. I drilled and tapped into a meaty part of the nozzle/jetovator and used some 1/4" stainless bolts as a mechanical stop to keep it from turning so far left and right. It only stopped it a few milimeters shy of where it used to go, so I couldn't tell any difference in the steering and it kept it from blowing out the rings. Never had to replace another after that.

I used to have some pictures showing the modification, but I lost them due to a computer hard drive failure.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
a little off topic but, my diverter had a nozzle ring that was nylon with a soft inner
part. who makes this? is it supposed to be better?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
a little off topic but, my diverter had a nozzle ring that was nylon with a soft inner
some people will put a rubber band in the groove before installing the oring just to make the oring pack/seal against the socket better;) i've done it before and it works great,

if its blowing out the seal, you need a new bowl to nozzle adapter, or you can just buy a short droop:)bulb

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some people will put a rubber band in the groove before installing the oring just to make the oring pack/seal against the socket better;) i've done it before and it works great,

if its blowing out the seal, you need a new bowl to nozzle adapter, or you can just buy a short droop:)bulb
I heard about the rubber band trick as well. I'll give that a try but most likely will get a new adapter if it dont work out. thanks for the inputs guys.:)hand

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
I believe you are referring to the inner Place Diverter o-ring. You can get it from them or we have them.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
I believe you are referring to the inner Place Diverter o-ring. You can get it from them or we have them.
is this used only on the place diverter joint? looks to me like a great idea
that would work better on the steering joint also.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts

Found my old pictures.

Here are the mods I did on my jetovator.

Photo of the stops I made.

Showing how the stop keeps the nozzle from over turning.

This one shows the mod for more rooster (up travel).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts