Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was entertaining the idea of going to fuel injection but i can't find any hard info of what exaust temp you need to run an o2, im running exaust logs, do they cool the exaust temp to far to run? can you run a air fuel ratio guage or is it to cool to run them either.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
most wideband air fuel meters use a heated element o2 sensor, there's a 12volt lil heater element inside them that heats up when they 1st turn on so that the sensor part of it starts working faster;) i wouldn't sweat egt's if you're gonna use a wideband,but too high a egt and the wideband will stop working period.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
get ya 1 of these, baddest wideband set-up i've found for the price:)devil

wb2 wideband:)devil does alot more than just a wideband meter can and its nowhereeeee near the price of a racepack:)bulb

Attachments

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
ok so i was entertaining the idea of going to fuel injection but i can't find any hard info of what exaust temp you need to run an o2, im running exaust logs, do they cool the exaust temp to far to run? can you run a air fuel ratio guage or is it to cool to run them either.
1.) O2 sensors are not required for EFI.

2.)Since your logs and risers are water-jacketed, you will have difficulty installing O2 sensors in them.

3.)If you were planning to install them after the risers, you can't do that. Water is mixed with the exhaust at this point and that will kill the sensors.

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i wasnt planning on putting it in the logs due to the water jackets and i wasnt planning on putting it in the water but there are these plug on the other side of the riseres i think there dry.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
It's true that an O2 sensor is not required to run EFI.
You can run open loop right off the maps.

However getting the maps right in the first place WILL require an O2 sensor.
It will be very difficult if not impossible to get EFI tuned right without an O2 sensor.

The best setup by far is running closed loop with the O2 sensor constantly correcting the A/F mixture to match the target A/F table.
It is a reliable and proven setup in millions of passenger cars every day.

I know several guys who installed an O2 sensor in their water jacketed exhaust and run closed loop EFI. Just make sure it's well ahead of where the water is dumping in. It works fine.

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i think i have a spot already but what kind of temps am i going to see at the riser and what temp does it take to lite the o2 sensor i hear i need 600*f

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
What about tuning a carb w/ a wideband O2 hooked up
with the water shutoff & then removing the sensor, plugging
the hole & resume the water injection? How much would this
change the tune? Otherwise, I didn't think any fuel injection
would work w/ water injection running across the sensor?

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
O 2 sensor has to be up stream, in the exhaust flow. Water gets mixed on the down side of the riser. A 2-4" spacer can be fabricated for an O 2 postion, between the log and riser.

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya but im still asking what temp im going to see in the tube? i dont really want to be screwing around just to find out it is not hot enough to get sensor to work i need 600 for the sensor am i going to see that in the exaust flow?if any body knows that would be good. i know the out side wont get that hot but i am loosing a lot off heat to the water

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
use a three wire, they are heated sensors, a little more money, but probly better for the application.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
ya but im still asking what temp im going to see in the tube? i dont really want to be screwing around just to find out it is not hot enough to get sensor to work i need 600 for the sensor am i going to see that in the exaust flow?if any body knows that would be good. i know the out side wont get that hot but i am loosing a lot off heat to the water
I dont think jacketed manifolds will lower your EGT's by much if any.

like Sleekcrafter said, go with a three or four wire O2 sensor, it is a heated style, which would start giving a reading before a non heated anyway.

BTW your exhaust temp will vary depending on several variables, no way for anybody to tell you what they are going to be IMO

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Probably a dumb question...but are the 02 sensors for an efi and the 02 sensors for a wide band the same type a deal. The reason I ask is...I thought they were supposed to be like 18" away from the exaust port or heat would kill em????????:)Unsure

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Probably a dumb question...but are the 02 sensors for an efi and the 02 sensors for a wide band the same type a deal. The reason I ask is...I thought they were supposed to be like 18" away from the exaust port or heat would kill em????????:)Unsure
The O2 sensors are NOT the same as most automotive style OE sensors. Only a few of the newest cars actually use a wideband sensor. Most use the older narrow-band "switching" sensor, not good for performance monitoring.

Whatever O2 monitor system you purchase will either come with, or recommend, a specific sensor to use with it. Our WideBand 2 device uses the Bosch LSU 4.2, 5-wire heated wideband O2 sensor. It comes with the kit.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts