Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are your guy's personal experiences with drag racing your flats and hydros? How many of you guys have been wet racing your flats vs guys racing their hydros? Seems as though most guys that have raced flats for any length of time have all been tossed or flat out wrecked at least once, but have the majority of you hydro guys also gone out or over as well? TFH obviously doesn't count, but I don't think there's any of those guys here on the boards anyways.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Flats

Can't speak for the hydro guys. But when it comes to flatbottom racing (circle or drag), there are two groups. Those that have gone over, and those that will.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Been close to being tossed out of a flat 2 times.Twice on start with the 004 boat and got it high near the finish i ended up slipping foward in the seat as it settled back down.

All times were due to driver error.Once i got comfy and familiar with it things went alot smoother.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Can't speak for the hydro guys. But when it comes to flatbottom racing (circle or drag), there are two groups. Those that have gone over, and those that will.
Might be a famous saying but 12 years in an open flat with most of the passes in the 140 range at the end I'm still dry

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Might be a famous saying but 12 years in an open flat with most of the passes in the 140 range at the end I'm still dry
Let's see, I'll do a little math. 12 yrs lets say 25 races a year. 300 races in 12 years total of 19 miles . That's not even one weekend of circle racing??

·
Lurker
417 Posts
How do you get wet when the boat has training wheels?
Okay then... I suppose I could justify the "training wheels" comment, since I'm stepping from an Eliminator Daytona tunnel to "just" a a runner bottom... :rolleyes:
I'm just tyring to stay within the wifes request to stay in the boat...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Okay then... I suppose I could justify the "training wheels" comment, since I'm stepping from an Eliminator Daytona tunnel to "just" a a runner bottom... :rolleyes:
I'm just tyring to stay within the wifes request to stay in the boat...

I think he's talking about the front sponsons on a hydro being the training wheels.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Man, why do we like these boats again? There is always a thread going about "when" you get thrown out of a boat or "when" your boats sinks. :))eek:))

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
Let's see, I'll do a little math. 12 yrs lets say 25 races a year. 300 races in 12 years total of 19 miles . That's not even one weekend of circle racing??

Jim, I think you should take a lap in a stout Pro Gas Flat. Let's say all you have to do is run a 7.40et @ 140

It's all the same. If you want to go out and race in a SS or Pro Stock heat, ANYONE can do it. Now go try to run up front and let me know how it works out for ya!

Same goes for a Drag boat. ANYONE can go run the liquid quarter mile. But when you are battling to run up front, putting one of these 350-400lb boats on the edge and now you have a handful.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Splash Down

Circle or Drag, don't think it really matters. If you are going to race something as unstable as a V-drive flatbottom you most likely will get wet. The type of craft we are discussing are set up anywhere from less than 1 to about 3.5 lbs. per HP. That is a ridiculous power to weight ratio. My thought is that if you do it enough and push the limits of your equipment and your own talent, you will get wet. Of course there are always the exceptions, drivers with extreme talent and/or good fortune. I have neither.

·
Distinguished Member
5,780 Posts
Circle or Drag, don't think it really matters. ....
Strongly disagree with this. While I have an SS boat and drove it around at a race once, I don't consider myself a circle boat racer but been around it a bit. That said, I've only met 1 circle boat racer that has raced more than a season or so that HASN'T been wet. Talking to Rankin, he said he's crashed like 15 times!! Like Tony said, he's been wet more than a few times in a circle boat, but never in a drag boat. I know a bunch of drag boat guys, myself included, that have raced for years without being out of the boat. Yea Jim Clauss makes a good point about seat time, but circle boats run in rough water with several guys going for the same patch of water.... No comparison IMHO between the 2. Your WAY more likely go crash racing circle boats than a drag boat....

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
Strongly disagree with this. While I have an SS boat and drove it around at a race once, I don't consider myself a circle boat racer but been around it a bit. That said, I've only met 1 circle boat racer that has raced more than a season or so that HASN'T been wet. Talking to Rankin, he said he's crashed like 15 times!! Like Tony said, he's been wet more than a few times in a circle boat, but never in a drag boat. I know a bunch of drag boat guys, myself included, that have raced for years without being out of the boat. Yea Jim Clauss makes a good point about seat time, but circle boats run in rough water with several guys going for the same patch of water.... No comparison IMHO between the 2. Your WAY more likely go crash racing circle boats than a drag boat....

I was gonna touch on that too Dave. You have 6-8 guys all trying to get to the turn first, deck to deck through the turn, running through the mess you left when you left the beach, dealing with the bitter angry promoter, lap traffic, the huge holes a K boat leaves in the turns, new drivers, inexperienced drivers, etc etc. VS Smooth water

Kind of a no brainer. This is why my hat is off to guys like Tye and Charlie and the late Davey B. These guys can/could throw it down.:))THumbsUp

1 - 20 of 29 Posts