Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys think about off season cylinder head prepping.....any of you guys remove the rockers to unload the valve springs? Or, just rotate motor over once in awhile to randomly change position of valves through out Winter?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do springs where wrist watches?
I'll take that answer to my question as, no, they don't care what time it is.....so, it's one less thing to on my checklist!!!!! :yes:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Not too sure if a spring knows the difference between being at max lift for week, one, day, hour or minute. what happens to the metal in one month that does happen in one second? Does a rod bolt lose its stretch after a certain period?

When your life is spent at 60 cycles a second at 7200 Rs, the same as the A/C electricity to a light bulb, going off and on, how hard could being held at max lift be?

Go ahead and back them off. Its a good excuse to run the valves at the start of the next boating season.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Everyone on here at one time loosened them up during the off season, there isn't any evidence of this being a concern. Believe me if this was to be so I'd be loosening them up, I enjoy running valves and testing valve spring pressures....not lazy!!

For peace of mind if it makes you feel good do it............. Remember you ask the question!! :stir:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Everyone on here at one time loosened them up during the off season, there isn't any evidence of this being a concern. Believe me if this was to be so I'd be loosening them up, I enjoy running valves and testing valve spring pressures....not lazy!!

For peace of mind if it makes you feel good do it............. Remember you ask the question!! :stir:
Best reason in the world for doing it. Like the saying goes, "if it makes you feel good, do it"
No spring was ever hurt by backing off a rocker.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks guys.....while I have your undivided attention .....do you guys fog your cylinders? I can do at the same time, all valves will be closed...thx

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
do springs where wrist watches?
Mine do!! don't tell me you're still running the cheap stuff!!! :rolleyes: I back mine off mostly to seal the cylinders up while the temps in the shop get cold. Probably a more a throw back to the "old days" before we had decent springs combined with my OCD.... :cool:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Mine do!! don't tell me you're still running the cheap stuff!!! :rolleyes: I back mine off mostly to seal the cylinders up while the temps in the shop get cold. Probably a more a throw back to the "old days" before we had decent springs combined with my OCD.... :cool:
Mine sat for more than a winter once with a few exhaust valves open. I don't live in a cold or humid environment, but they must have had some rust on them because they didn't seal when I went to run it again. I thought some run time would help, but it didn't. I wound up pulling the heads and lapping them. That said, I don't back them off, I just try to use my boat more.:D

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
I close all the valves that are open. And, I change out the springs in my Glock every two years. It stays loaded under the sofa at all times. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mine sat for more than a winter once with a few exhaust valves open. I don't live in a cold or humid environment, but they must have had some rust on them because they didn't seal when I went to run it again. I thought some run time would help, but it didn't. I wound up pulling the heads and lapping them. That said, I don't back them off, I just try to use my boat more.:D
the run time must be at full throttle they will seat again if you beat the shit out of it :secret:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All righty already......it's a mixed bag on the rockers deal....thanks for all the input....I won't mess with them......I bought two cans of sta-bil engine fog.....gonna do a half ass job of fogging the cylinders....seez to run engine.....carbs already pulled and drained.....just gonna roll it over and spray the holes.....thx guys

1 - 20 of 24 Posts