Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the boat is finnished?
what am I suppose to do now, to ocupy all my time and money? Oh well, maybe I will start the Daytona.:bangmyhead: FRANKENTUNNEL, comming to a thread near you.

For now I will just go to the lake.

Whoo Hoo! the boat is finally finished!
I took the boat out for the maiden voyage today, to get it wet and see how she runs. every thing went perfect, with no issues.
The boat has good throtle response, leaves hard and runs hard and shutdown is smooth and straight with no hint of any hooking.

We went out to lake Mead and the wind was blowing enough to create a good bit of chop, so we just stayed in the first cove just outside of Callville bay. It was hard to get any good water for any real speed passes at first. We just floated around for a while. Later the wind died and the boat trafic fell of, so the water got pretty smooth and we did a few passes right inside the cove.
All in all I am very happy with the outcome. every thing went flawless and the boat runs good and best of all it did not sink:happy:
I have no idea what speeds we were running ,as there is no speedo, and no gps, but the gps ,i think will be my next purchase.
I know the thing has more in it. I am running an A2 impeller and I thing with a B and some tuning, it will get more out of it.
Here are some pics from today.....Hal

035.jpg

checking for leaks
038.jpg

075.jpg

077.jpg

076.jpg

078.jpg

087.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Great job, no leaks and it runs and floats, I keep saying that about mine, what am I going to do with myself when I get done....maybe find invest more into 401k or something....lol. I definitely will have to find something else to complain about.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been following the thread on the project for a long time. Now I have a question that I'm particularly interested in hearing your response to... How did the boat like the setback pump? I ask this because I have a '72 Kona Makai (bubble deck) that I'm pretty sure has the same bottom as yours. I've been kicking around the idea of doing the setback, but I was concerned that it would adversely effect the way the boat handles already. Please tell me that it is a great idea for me to pull the trigger and do what you have done with your pump.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great job, love the resto, so nice when you can look back at all the picture's and all the hour's of love you gave it, then put it in the water and enjoy :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've been following the thread on the project for a long time. Now I have a question that I'm particularly interested in hearing your response to... How did the boat like the setback pump? I ask this because I have a '72 Kona Makai (bubble deck) that I'm pretty sure has the same bottom as yours. I've been kicking around the idea of doing the setback, but I was concerned that it would adversely effect the way the boat handles already. Please tell me that it is a great idea for me to pull the trigger and do what you have done with your pump.
Well being that I have no before and after experiance to compare this particular hull to, I do not know if it is an improvement or not.
However that being said, the boat seems to come out of the hole nice and once it takes a set it seems to ride real free.
If I had to say one way or another, I would have to say that the setback and ride plate combo did free up the hull. Of course I have only about four passes under my belt and some of those I was having to lift due to dirty water.
I do know one thing for certain ,I have to learn how to drive the boat and work the diverter at the same time. I was having trouble telling where the diverter position should be for launch and not getting it too far out for the top end. once the diverter goes too high and goes into the rooster it just shoots a hole in the speed. I guess a trim indicator would be nice. I also think that a smaller cut impeller may be an improvement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"once the diverter goes too high and goes into the rooster it just shoots a hole in the speed.

I have the same issue with mine. That is one reason that I'll be testing a droop snoot after I do the set back. I'm thinking it will sink the nozzle a little deeper in the water to keep the thrust planted in the water. If that doesn't work then maybe I'll try a straight snoot. Just throwing around a few ideas.

""

1 - 12 of 12 Posts