Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know it made it to a dyno and i know what it was doin barely opened up, now let's hear it or see it putting the hurt on the dyno!:)devil

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
We got a start on it Monday and I had to go to work so we only made a 5500 rpm pull to 1400 hp.

I've dyno tuned a few other motors but not mine before.
I was nervous and excited at the same time but we haven't thrashed this anywhere near what I did all summer in the boat yet. The 5500 rpm pull only got the injectors to 84% where in the boat I topped them out at 100% everytime.

A couple issues related to the engine on the dyno that were different than in the boat. The exhaust pipes have 10' on them to get through the wall where it's only a short 14" pipe on the boat. That made more backpressure and less boost. I can adjust the boost controller to compensate for that.
Also since the wastegates are not able to control the boost accurately I found that they were open at 7# and the motor had to build rpm to get the boost where I had been running all summer.
Given that situation I am going to adjust the boost controller so that it doesn't open until 25# because that's where it's going to get to anyways.

My rings are not exactly virgin material after running this all summer.
I can't believe how much water vapor is coming out of the breather tubes.
The oil has never shown signs of water in it so It is probably due to the E85 fuel.

We're going to do the major thrash on Saturday.

Here's the video I have so far,
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/Mark11530/?action=view&current=Video3.flv

Listen for the turbos at the very end of the video.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Mark,

the link goes to a ad in the spam section.

Jim

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
godddd 1400 and its not even doin work yet:)devil:)devil:)devil

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I didn't see any sparks flying .........?????????
Maybe it was from the ECU. :D

I did see that I was getting some recirculation from the breather vent tube to the compressor intake. I wanted to be EPA compliant. :rolleyes:

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
look below the Turbo on the left side @ 15, 20 and 28 seconds.

maybe not sparks but something is flying up from the rear of the engine.

It sounds good, I cant wait till you thrash on it:)devil

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Check out the header collectors starting to glow red hot.
Looking good Mark, cant wait to hear how she does when you turn it up.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
What about the fuel? Are you using true E85 or a lower blend. I haven't bought any since HotBoat weekend to test and see what percent it is right now. I do have about 15 gallons left over from summer if you need it.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
We're using Rockett race E85. It's 112 octane.

Good eye Hass. I didn't notice the header glowing before. :)devil

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
How much is that for a drum?

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
He told me it was like $400. for a drum so I won't be buying any of that stuff. What was there was left from dyno tuning the Ford Bonneville E85 motor.

It uses almost a gallon for each dyno pull. :))eek:))

I've done fine with E 85 right out of the pump.
I burned over 225 gallons of it this season.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
At over over seven dollars a gallon I'll pass too. I didn't keep track of how much I used but I know I didn't use half of what you used.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
We dyno'ed the motor again today and it ran great but the dyno load cell had some problem and stopped reading at 3300 rpm.
It is all new equipment but something is not working right.

I re-adjusted the boost controller so it holds the gates closed better and the torque went way up.
It made 1346 ft # of torque @ 3300 rpm @ 15# of boost.
In the boat it is never loaded at that low of rpm so I had no idea it would make that much torque. It was building approximately 100 ft # of torque per 100 rpm.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/Mark11530/dynosheet111409.jpg?t=1258223224

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/Mark11530/?action=view&current=540ttdyno2.flv

The sparks on the first video came from the flex plate ticking the starter gear.

It'll probably be next Saturday before we can hammer on it again. :)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We dyno'ed the motor again today and it ran great but the dyno load cell had some problem and stopped reading at 3300 rpm.
It is all brand new equipment but something is not working right.

I re-adjusted the boost controller so it holds the gates closed better and the torque went way up.
It made 1346 ft # of torque at 3300 rpm.
That was with 15# of boost.
In the boat it is never loaded at that low of rpm so I had no idea it would make that much torque at that low of rpm.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/Mark11530/dynosheet111409.jpg?t=1258223224

It was building approximately 100 ft # of torque per 100 rpm.

I have a video and I'll upload that later.
The sparks on the first video came from the flex plate ticking the starter gear. In the boat there is an adapter plate that bolts on the flexplate to drive the transmission so it is held solid.

It'll probably be next saturday before we can hammer on it again.

:))eek:)):))eek:)) wholllllly shit! :)devil:)grn:)grn

mark, are you goin all out when the dyno is fixed? can't wait to see what it puts down at the same boost and rpm level you run in the boat:)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i'm sending my 76mm garrett to jose monday for conversion into a 88:D:)grn 140lbs+ here we goooooo:)grn:)devil:D

scratch that, jose's email said it'll be a billet 91mm turbo, but the specs he sent me were using a billet 94mm wheel:

GT-91
1475hp (141lbs/min)
3RD-94mm

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
:))eek:)):))eek:)) wholllllly shit! :)devil:)grn:)grn
mark, are you goin all out when the dyno is fixed? :)devil
Of course......I'm going run it at the boost that it did in the boat all summer..... at least !! :|err Whatever it takes to show 1800+ hp on the page. I don't have the cojones to top out the boat with this engine in it so the dyno sheet is all I have to show. :)devil
http://www.waveevents.com/MyFilez/wavs/music/thisaint.wav

A slight advantage I have on the dyno is that we're running well water through the intercooler at 55 degrees. The IAT never got over 84 degrees during the pull.
Speaking of cheap ass, this is the Lexus air conditioner evaporator core that I'm using as an intercooler core. Cost me $ 108.00 brand new. :)bulb

The dyno operator can't believe I'm still using the same spark plugs for the last 3 years. Same valve springs for 4 years. The cam is only .630 lift minus .025 lash, Not much there. Never even used a stud girdle. Heads are out of the box Dart 345, no money wasted on port work here either.

This LS2 COP ignition setup is something else. A guy had a scope on it while it was on the dyno to watch the spark event.
There's so much scuttlebutt on COP that the dyno operator didn't have much confidence in it over CD ignition. Now he's convinced. Still firing .035 gap at 27# boost @ 7500+ rpm.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course......I'm going run it at the boost that it did in the boat all summer..... at least !! :|err Whatever it takes to show 1800+ hp on the page. I don't have the cojones to top out the boat with this engine in it so the dyno sheet is all I have to show. :)devil
http://www.waveevents.com/MyFilez/wavs/music/thisaint.wav

A slight advantage I have on the dyno is that we're running well water through the intercooler at 55 degrees. The IAT never got over 84 degrees during the pull.
Speaking of cheap ass, this is the Lexus air conditioner evaporator core that I'm using as an intercooler core. Cost me $ 108.00 brand new. :)bulb

The dyno operator can't believe I'm still using the same spark plugs for the last 3 years. Same valve springs for 4 years. The cam is only .630 lift minus .025 lash, Not much there. Never even used a stud girdle. Heads are out of the box Dart 345, no money wasted on port work here either.

This LS2 COP ignition setup is something else. A guy had a scope on it while it was on the dyno to watch the spark event.
There's so much scuttlebutt on COP that the dyno operator didn't have much confidence in it over CD ignition. Now he's convinced. Still firing .035 gap at 27# boost @ 7500+ rpm.
billy's wantin to drop his cam down some now. same train of thought was you, less wear and tear on the valvetrain. i like small cams too, my lil 5.3 cam is only 548 lift.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
billy's wantin to drop his cam down some now. same train of thought was you, less wear and tear on the valvetrain. i like small cams too, my lil 5.3 cam is only 548 lift.
That is the beauty of turbo systems is that trying to optimize cams, valve train and porting is of little benefit.
For what some guys have invested in head porting I bought both turbo's.
When 1# of boost adds 100 hp, a little more boost can more than make up for any radical cam or port jobs that just make the motor run rougher and be EXTREMELY high maintenance.

When I was at the boat drags in Red Bluff about 7 years ago I talked to a pro gas jet team and they were using a .950 lift cam and 16:1 compression to make 1200 hp at some ridiculous RPM. They had to check their valve springs after each pass.

It's that same old school vs new school thing.

My goal is that same as what I started with,
I want the biggest contrast between Dr. Jekyll and Hr. Hyde that I can get. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts