Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thrilled, can't U tell???

Can anyone give me some input on a late summer trip to Hawaii??? Not overly thrilled about this one... I will be flying from LAX or SNA and I don't want to go on some package deal... I will be in Long Beach for a week or so prior OR after...

Hotels??? SOmething middle of the road...

Island cruises are OUT of the question, even mini cruises...

:duh: :cry2:

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What island? I lived in Hawaii I would be happy to fill you in
I know nothing about Hawaii, like to fish, snorkle and both of those will prolly be kicked back by the warden... The mini island cruises are out due to her motion sickness, I know, I know, they have pills/patches/drugs for that... It aint happening...

Type as much as you have the energy for and I will parse it out... And ANY input will be greatly appreciated...

:thumb:

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
If you go to Maui, avoid the tourist traps of Lahaina and take your family snorkling at milepost 13 between Buzz's Warf and Olawalu. There's only room to park a car or two but when you walk through the trees to the ocean, there's a cool little black beach that leads to the most awesome coral reef where you can see wildlife and every color coral in the ocean. I spent about four hours there without returning to the beach, myself. Then head into Kihei and find a little dive shop called "Skin Dive Maui" and take your family on what they call a "hand held dive." No need for certification as they will give you excellent basic instruction before taking you on a relatively shallow dive from the beach. I took all my kids and they came home and got certified so we now dive at every stop on our cruises. You also might want to go up Haleakala crater. There are excursions that let you ride bicycles down which is beyond awesome! The road to Hana is overrated, by the way.

On Oahu, Pearl Harbor is a must for any real American and driving around the island is awesome. The Polynesian Cultural Center is worth the visit as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm thrilled, can't U tell???

Can anyone give me some input on a late summer trip to Hawaii??? Not overly thrilled about this one... I will be flying from LAX or SNA and I don't want to go on some package deal... I will be in Long Beach for a week or so prior OR after...

Hotels??? SOmething middle of the road...

Island cruises are OUT of the question, even mini cruises...

:duh: :cry2:
Been going to Hawaii since I was 10 and lived on Maui and Big Island, just message me and I can tell you what you need to know!! :)

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
How long are you going to be there Bruce?

We usually go in either Feb. or October, like every 18 months.
This year is an October year.

I did my "introductory" dive exactly like Doc suggested, but near Molokini crater off of Maui.

We USUALLY stay on Waikiki at the Hilton Villiage, don't let the Hilton name scare you, they have rooms for all price ranges and the "Villiage" has everything you may need or want right outside your' door, as well as their own little beach cove.

Oahu is a good Island to start with, Pearl Harbor, awesome driving around the island and seeing a lot of different scenery.
The Dole pineapple plantation, North Shore, Turtle Bay, all the little Hamlets along the North side of the Island, etc.
We do go off to the other Islands, but mainly hang at Oahu.
Many prefer the other Islands to escape the bustle of Waikiki, and understandably so, but for a first trip it offers a lot.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Yeah, yeah, boring old Hawai'i. I felt the same way after I'd been there a dozen times with the Navy, but then I met my wife, and there are a lot of really cool things to do. Kaua'i, tube down an irrigation ditch. Maui, ride a bike downhill from the top of the volcano to the beach. Oah'u, go to the USS Arizona and pay your respects. Moloka'i, relax on a hidden island with a maximum speed limit of 35 MPH. Hawai'i, visit an active volcano, see the Pacific Tsunami museum, have a beer at the southernmost bar in the US, go off-road to the Green Beach, and so much more.

Once you pick your island, let me know and I'll tell you where to go.

Oh, and don't stay in a hotel, they are too expensive. Go to Redweek.com and search for condos; much better!

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Oh, and don't go in the spring. My shipmate is still stationed there, and she says it has been hailing. No fun on vacation....

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Been many times and returning this year. I would suggest NOT using SNA, smaller aircraft and poor flight times. the best is United non stop on wide body planes. At times they fly every hour to HNL.

The United terminal at LAX is not bad at all. BPI

·
1,512 Posts
Just got back yesterday. Stayed in Maui 1 day at the Ritz. That's all,it took to remind me why not to go to Maui. Took the commuter over to the Big Island. Did the whole dive, snorkel, zip line, water fall thing and just relaxed. I can only suggest you book 30 to 45 days before your trip. Watch rates daily. They change frequently. Fly United out of LAX. If you can, select the Economy Plus seats. Where ever you end up, have fun.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Just got back yesterday. Stayed in Maui 1 day at the Ritz. That's all,it took to remind me why not to go to Maui. Took the commuter over to the Big Island. Did the whole dive, snorkel, zip line, water fall thing and just relaxed. I can only suggest you book 30 to 45 days before your trip. Watch rates daily. They change frequently. Fly United out of LAX. If you can, select the Economy Plus seats. Where ever you end up, have fun.
Who did you go diving with?

I did the nightime Manta Ray dive years back with Jack's dive locker, still one of the highlights of my diving experiences.:))THumbsUp

·
1,512 Posts
This time and on my last trip I used Kohala divers in Kamuela. I've used Big Island divers in Kona before for the Night dive and Manta Ray dive. I was slimmed by a Manta which was kinda fun. The movie they shoot is actually something worth showing to your friends (once). I like to use different shops so you can get a broader range of dive sites up and down the coast.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Just get her some Maui-Wowie and that should take care of the motion sickness!!! :smoking-cannabis-03 :flowerysmileqh2:

I had some buddies go, and I think one of the highlights of their trip was the zip lines through the rain forest. From what I saw of the pictures, it is beautiful!!!

·
1,512 Posts
Beautiful blue water on the Big Island.
Oahu was flooding. Maui was raining everyday.
Body of water Coast Shore Sea Coastal and oceanic landforms

Zip Line through the botanical gardens.
7 lines to zip on. The last one is a tandem line.

Nature Tree Jungle Grass Adventure

Property Tree Plant Jungle Rainforest

Small but nice waterfall.
Water resources Nature reserve Waterfall Natural landscape Vegetation

The Resort cat. Has it's shots and sees the vet regularly.
Likes the pay cabanas unless you have fish.

Finger Hand Food Canidae Cuisine

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
someone have a stuttering prob?:)eh:)

:D it was supposed to come across like a long drawn out drawl... as in "ya, im so excited not!" :)

Anyways Im sure we will have big fun... I just HATE being on / around the ocean and not doing some fishing/spear fishing/gigging... SOMETHING where I get to catch and eat some killer grilled fish...

Anyways...

THANKS guys, keep the suggestions coming, mucho appreciated... We are going in August, I would rather go in the off season but the timing wont work for us SO we are going to go either BEFORE or AFTER the Long Beach circle sprints in early August...

Sorry for the slow response, I have been OOO for abour 48 hours...

Thanks again everyone...

Bruce...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.