Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1972 Southwind with a new 555 BBC and Jucuzzi pump, and I am replacing all the gauges. What ohm gauge should I get for this boat. It has the two side tanks, that are 12 gallons each. They make about 7 different guages with different ohm's so I need to know which gauge to get. Thanks, 2Stout.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2Stout

Yes, it has the stock guages in it now, but do not work. That is what I needed to know what the original ohm's are coming from the sending units in the tanks. Thanks for your time.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Yes, it has the stock guages in it now, but do not work. That is what I needed to know what the original ohm's are coming from the sending units in the tanks. Thanks for your time.

You need to take an Ohm meter reading when senders are on empty, most read 240 when empty, and that value goes to 33 ohm or so when reading full. Most fuel senders are 240-33 ohm units in boats.

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
Ya the readings a very nominal figure out which way the gauge runs I seen some that a back ward grounded reads empty. So ground out gauge for a sec then check to see if gauge reads full or empty, if nothing happens for looking at wiring. If it moves you'll have to order a new sender.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Or.....use my method, wallet thin = boat full, wallet thick = boat empty :D

The backward reading dealio is the 90 ohm GM deal.:)bulb

GT :)hand

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
something to add how many people have had or do have fuel sender problems with the gage being very erratic and what they did you fix them, in my case it was a sloshing problem, i used a capacitor between the signal wire and the power 3800 mfu slowed the gage seems to be good but is there a sender i could buy that the sloshing doesn't effect? do the float less gages correct this or should i just stick with my fix

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
something to add how many people have had or do have fuel sender problems with the gage being very erratic and what they did you fix them, in my case it was a sloshing problem, i used a capacitor between the signal wire and the power 3800 mfu slowed the gage seems to be good but is there a sender i could buy that the sloshing doesn't effect? do the float less gages correct this or should i just stick with my fix
I use this one from Hardin Marine. Very accurate and easy to install. 33-240 Ohm. 3 wire or two wire connection.

“XS” Xtreme Series Fuel Level Sender​
GENERAL DESCRIPTION

The ELECTRONIC SENDING UNIT for FUEL tanks provides a continuous
readout of the liquid level in your tank. The unit (which has no moving
parts) consists of a sensor probe and an amplifier. The amplifier components,
which are located in the mounting plate assembly, are encapsulated
in an epoxy resin compound to seal out moisture and other contaminants
which could affect the operation. The mounting plate assembly
has the same 5 hole SAE bolt pattern mounting dimensions as the
standard float sending units they replace. The meter (receiving unit) can​
be remotely located close by or in your dash.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Simply Centroid Senders...

Yes they will stop the slosh effect to a degree as there is no float to bounce around wildly.
240-33 ohm is standard for most aftermarket marine gas gauges. They bolt in place of the float style (std 5 bolt pattern) and do require 3 wires (one more than float type).

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Simply Centroid Senders...

Yes they will stop the slosh effect to a degree as there is no float to bounce around wildly.
240-33 ohm is standard for most aftermarket marine gas gauges. They bolt in place of the float style (std 5 bolt pattern) and do require 3 wires (one more than float type).
So what does the third wire do, where does it go if you have the old two wire style?

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
It's power, ground, and sender, the Centroid senders are the best imo for fuel qty. Simple cut to length, and calibrate, calibration allows accurate fuel qty readings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts