Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an olds 455 in a jet boat and I can't figure out how to drain the oil out of it! i do have a oil sucker that usually fits down the dipstick tube, but the smallest tube doesn't fit down it.
the oil pan drain is under the engine.

so any ideas?

Craig

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
I have an olds 455 in a jet boat and I can't figure out how to drain the oil out of it! i do have a oil sucker that usually fits down the dipstick tube, but the smallest tube doesn't fit down it.
the oil pan drain is under the engine.

so any ideas?

Craig
You *could* take the dipstick off and put the tube directly into the pan.

Once drained (assuming you can get to the drain plug) put a hose with a threaded plug on it.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
You *could* take the dipstick off and put the tube directly into the pan.

Once drained (assuming you can get to the drain plug) put a hose with a threaded plug on it.
That does work...just make sure you disconect the battery first.....

That doesn't have a car pan does it?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Unscrew the oil filter put a pan under and roll over the engine and pump it out. I take the plugs out to relieve the compression, takes only a couple of minutes. I have a remote so I only have to use the out line.

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unscrew the oil filter put a pan under and roll over the engine and pump it out. I take the plugs out to relieve the compression, takes only a couple of minutes. I have a remote so I only have to use the out line.
This is a good idea! But it won't hurt the motor turning it over wouhout any oil in it?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
This is a good idea! But it won't hurt the motor turning it over wouhout any oil in it?
I just checked mine....with the dipstick tube pulled out of the block there is a 3/8 i.d. hole that a suck pump will fit down......pumping the oil out with the oil pump won't pump all the oil out...pickup could be 1/4-1/2 off the bottom of the pan.....and no....cranking over with no oil pressure or spark plugs PROBABLY won't hurt anything....but it is an olds:)sphss

Or you could get a replace plug for drain plug all set up for a hose deal......
pile a gang of rags under the pan and hot swap them out. My olds would siphon 8qts in about 40 min with a 3/8 id drain hose....I did use a piece
of clear hose so i could see where the oil was when i started the siphon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts